Official 2007 Vancouver Whitecaps Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Whew! That was close! But with their 1-0 win over Minnesota tonight, the Whitecaps have finally clinched a playoff spot so they can defend their USL title. Hopefully, this win will finally give them the much needed momentum they need heading into the playoffs.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

watched on shaw
great game
could have capitalized on a couple of those misses near the end of the match
2012 Season Ticket Holder
footy
All Star

Good to see the Caps getting the W last night lets hope with the addition of the new goal keeper who looked solid last night they upset Seattle or Portland in the first round :beer:
footy
All Star

The Whitecaps play 2 home games this weekend Friday the 7th they host Atlanta and Sunday the 9th at 4pm they host Portland. The Portland game should be a blast as the Portland fans come up and make an interesting atmosphere dunno if anyone is going to that one but its normally on my dont miss list.

:beer:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Whitecaps finish the regular season with a scoreless draw. They will face the same Portland Timbers team in the first round of the playoffs. Hopefully, they are ready to defend their USL Division 1 title. :cr:
footy
All Star

I think it was a toss up who the Caps would of liked to play their first round playoff match as Montreal, Seattle and Portland are all tough teams but they can all be beat. I guess playing Portland is a plus because of travel vs. playing Montreal first round.

This friday the 14th should be hopping at Swangard :beer:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Good performance by the Whitecaps tonight as they were finally rewarded with a goal in their 1-0 win over Portland in game 1 of their two game total goals series. Good luck to the team as they play game 2 in Portland on Sunday. :cr:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

With their 3-0 loss in Portland tonight, the Whitecaps have been eliminated 3-1 in the aggregate series and will no longer be defending their 2006 title.

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Good luck in 2008!

Even if the exhibition game vs. the LA Galaxy will actually take place sometime in November, I can easily understand how the team won't be very motivated to play. Also, another problem I sense is that most players will want to return to their home cities now. It will take a lot to ask them to come back to Vancouver in two months time.
footy
All Star

I suspect you will see a mainly local based talent pool and reserves playing that night adding to the reality that this just a grand Beckham party and the game is secondary but then again in the grand scheme of things this is to show the city of Vancouver that they need to get their arses in gear and give the green light to dig :bang:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

At first, I was very shocked to hear this. But then I realized that this seems to be a common trend for the last decade. Just one year after leading the Whitecaps to the USL First Division Championship, head coach Bob Lilley has been fired by the team as Lenarduzzi decided not to renew Lilley's three year contract that has just come to an end.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/archive/feature09180702.aspx
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/stor ... 83&k=26415

This season has been one that has really disbanded last season's championship team. First losing goalkeeper Tony Caig, and then trading striker Joey Gjertsen, their 2006 scoring leader and the league MVP, and midfielder David Testo to the Montreal Impact for striker Alen Marcina and midfielder Ze Roberto really affected the team. Now getting rid of Bob Lilley is the final straw.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Just like how Bob Lilley won't be around for this exhibition game, Frank Yallop won't be coaching the LA Galaxy on Wednesday either as he resigned yesterday.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... ation.html
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
120dB
Legend

when's Beckham arriving in town?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

He's already here — you missed his arrival at YVR!
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

According to:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... bf&k=35394

42,000 tickets sold as of yesterday.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。