CKNW - Sankey landed as Lion QB

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I don't remember Sankey as being the QB disaster that some think he is either. I think his mobility wasn't that wonderful, maybe ala DD but I do remember that he could throw a good pass, had a strong arm and generally speaking was competent. A good choice for the need. Better than Nealon Greene or Ted White. I entertained the idea that maybe we could get Flutie to come out of retirement. After all he got his start here. Quite the pipe dream eh?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Sankey was decent enough in Calgary to end up getting a shot in the NFL with Houston... pretty good for a guy who was never a star, or regular starter in the CFL.

I think it was a good signing by the Lions and Sankey will jump ahead of Gino on the depth chart, if not by the 31st then by the week after.

Every so often in the CFL a backup QB comes out of nowhere and lights it up for a game or two (think Kevin Eakin, or even Ben Sankey himself). If we get into a situation where we have to go to our backup's backup, maybe Sankey can give us one or two of those to hold us over until an A-team QB is ready to play again.

This could also be a real opportunity for Sankey if he wants to come back to the CFL full time. If he does get into a few games and plays well then he could be the guy coming into camp in 2008 challenging for the #2 (if DD retires) or #3 QB spot. That could be a huge motivator for Sankey.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

hutch wrote:The rest of the season could be a rough ride :cr: :cr: :cr:
This season has been one long rough ride since training camp.

We've been going steady with adversity for so long now, she's starting to take on a whole new meaning for this team.

Sooner or later she loose interest, right?

Right???
Last edited by PigSkin_53 on Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I agree with David.. no way Sankey is above Gino right now.. or in two weeks for that matter.

However, I agree with myself even more. Neither of these two get in no matter how bad JJ looks. Only an injury would do that... oh oh. :cr:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The signing is not a surprise. In fact I'm pleased they were able to find someone like Sankey. Last weekend in Edmonton one of my close friend of mine (an Esk fan) and I were trying to come up with some names of veteran QBs with CFL experience who might be available. Obviously BC needed an extra arm for emergency purposes until Pierce and/or Dickenson became healthy enough to dress. We expected Buono would pursue someone with experience, preferably CFL experience, as opposed to a young gun with little more than training camp experience. Guys in the booth like McManus and Jones sprang to mind along with Nealon Greene but we really couldn't come up with any others. We had overlooked Sankey. It's not easy to acquire someone in mid-season to temporarily fill in at #3 for 1 or 2 games (hopefully, knock on wood). You're basically after a 1 or 2 game rental QB. For that the ideal candidate would be someone like Sankey. He's 30 years old. He has been playing in the UIFL so he's in game condition. With 59 CFL regular season games on his resume (238 ATT, 146 CMP, 2000 YDS, 17 TDs and 7 INT) he needs no introduction to the CFL game itself. He should be able to pick up enough of the playbook and terminology over the next week to get by if called upon. With the current situation of Jackson being backed up by a raw rookie like Guidugli I would say Sankey is a pretty decent fit for the situation given the other alternatives.

As far as Guidugli or Sankey playing and in what pecking order I think that would be based on the game situation at the time and how much of the offence Sankey can pick up this week. I don't think Buono would insert either one unless Jackson was injured or the game started getting out of hand one way or the other. As long as the game is within reach Jackson will play even if he's struggling. However should the game get out of reach I don't think he'd hesitate trying to get either backup some reps.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

If Wally had to go any deeper into his QB rolodex, we'd end up seeing Troy Kopp or Mike McCoy.

Kopp, now 36 and coaching high school football, recovered from a serious car accident not long after Buono cut him from the Stamps, and McCoy, now a QB coach, has been on the Carolina Panthers staff since 2000.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... /704150307

http://www.panthers.com/Team/CoachBio.aspx?id=1934
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

sj-roc wrote:If Wally had to go any deeper into his QB rolodex, we'd end up seeing Troy Kopp or Mike McCoy.
That blood curdling scream and splat you just heard was Blue In BC leaping in front of a BC Transit bus at the very mention of Troy Kopp's name. ;-)
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Don Miller
Legend

Here is a link to Ben Sankey our newest Lion and former Calgary Stampeder. He has a good arm and decent size. Not the most mobile but has some experience in the CFL.. http://www.rockriverfootball.com/
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

JJ will have to hold the fort till DD and BP return. I'm not overly worried about JJ getting hurt as he is built like a linebacker. Hoping he can master the short passing plays as he has not shown us he has the touch. With Tony Simmons back healthy, we might actually see JJ air it out a little more. Going to be an interesting game planning vs the Al's.
Blitz
Team Captain

Our Leos did something that was needed to be done and that is to sign a fourth quarterback with some CFL experience.

The last time (and only time) we've ever started Jarious we were going with our third string quarterback with only his first start in four years and a short week to prepare, Gino, who only had a few practice snaps as a pro, and Bret Anderson, as our third string quarterback, a receiver/kicker who is an excellent athlete but it was asking a lot.

Instead of being critical of Jarious in his first start we should have been relieved that he remained standing. Jarious is built like a linebacker...he's huge for a CFL quarterback at 6'1" and 232 pounds and he's very mobile at that size. Gino goes 6'3" and 226 pounds, which is big for a quarterback as well. Sankey goes a little over 225 pounds.

Dickenson is listed at 5'11" and 190 pounds. Buck is 6' 1" and 210 pounds.

It's interesting to look at the sizes of the other starting quarterbacks in the league. Burris is 6'2", 200, Ricky Ray is 6"3", 210, and Joseph is 6'1", 215.

In the East, Maas is 6'2", 210, Bishop, 6'2", 215, Kevin Glenn is 5'10", 189, and Cavillo is 6'1", 200.

The good news about Sankey is that he hasn't been rusting on the bench but has actually been playing and playing well. Granted, he wasn't playing in a league comparable to the CFL but he was throwing in game action and that is helpful, if he is needed to go in.

Even though there was optomism and likely still is that Dickenson would line up as our third string quarterback for the August 31st game I never believed that he would be ready and still don't.

With Dickenson's status undetermined and Buck being injured from shoulder to toe and almost everywhere in between we needed more depth at quarterback and not with just another developmental quarterback.

I was opposed to trading Jarious at the beginning of the season, believing his skills would be needed this season, even if we got nothing for him at the end of the year...he was still worth keeping.

He's already come off the bench to lead us to a win and a tie that took something special from him to achieve and was a very improbable scenario that he pulled out! Jarious has already exceeded the expectation of what a CFL team could want from their third string quarterback (and that's the standard he should be judged by) in a season...anything else is even more of a bonus!

Our Leos are already devising a much smarter game plan for Jarious this time and he will need it as will the rest of our offence. Montreal has had a lot of injuries on "D" but their defense is still one of the best in the league and very fast!
Last edited by Blitz on Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I saw on Sportsnet that Sankey was one of four QBs throwing at practice on Saturday. DD was also throwing with the QBs but not in uniform. Wally said some nice things about Sakney being big and mobile with a strong arm and said he's a quick learner. Sankey said he was happy to get the call and come back to Canada. Did anyone go to practice to take a first-hand look?