Player appearance Friday 8/24

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

My sister dutifully reported into me today that Kerrisday Pharmacy had lots of lions flags and posters in their window. Upon closure inspection, she noticed a sign that read that Ricky Foley would be signing autographs tomorrow (Friday) from 10-3.

For any of you interested in checking this out (sj-roc?), their address is

Kerrisdale Pharmacy
5591 West Boulevard (at 40th Ave.)
Phone # 604-261-0333

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the heads up, David -- this is indeed in my area, but alas, my schedule did not allow.

Not having gone, I don't know how big a crowd showed up, but with the timing -- right at the start of the annual neighbourhood "Kerrisdale Days", with all the festivities and sidewalk sales just one block south along that commercial stretch of 41st Ave, aka "downtown Kerrisdale" -- the Lions might have gotten themselves more attention had they been in the heart of that action, with the abundant pedestrian traffic today.

Mind you, they don't really have much control over that -- they can only respond to appearance requests from the community at large, wherever they happen to be. They still might have benefitted, anyway -- from extra traffic flow into the area along W Blvd destined for 41st that would otherwise not have appeared.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

I finally found a bit of time from work to head over at about 2:45pm today. I think they were pretty much winding it down but there women walking up to him at various times to say "it was nice to meet you," and "my husband bought us tickets for Friday's game" etc. He a very nice guy and was signing team pictures and his own football card.

We spoke at length. Nothing I'd want to disclose publicly, but does seem happy with his current situation as a B.C. Lion and is starting to find his way around the city a little easier.

You're right sj-roc, there was a flurry of activity on 41st and I'm betting the owner of the pharmacy was hoping for some of the overflow by planning his own event.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar