Is Dhaliwal on glue or something stronger re: Vick?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

smphantom
Legend

smphantom wrote:The Argos will be interested.
There goes the Argos' chance at landing Vick:

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=216662&hubname=
Stay thirsty my friends.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I guess Damon Allen is safe for now :wink:
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

The only reason I can see a CFL team putting Vick on their neg list is in case he manages to totally rehabilitate his image and still can't get an NFL job, then he could come up north for his "second chance". But I don't think any CFL team, even Toronto, would simply sign Vick once he serves his sentence and NFL supension.

As for Vick's NFL future, I don't think he ever plays in that league again. Sure other players have been involved in shootings, homicides, multiple drug charges, etc. and still get second and third chances, but none of them were quarterbacks. Non of them were the "face" of the organization they played for. If Vick was a receiver or running back, or any other position player I think he gets another shot down the road, but because he is a QB he will not.

But mostly I think the NFL is smart enough to protect itself from a stupid owner who may want to sign Vick by handing out a suspension that will make certain Vick never plays again. It may not be a lifetime ban, but I can see him getting 5 or 7 years. Something long enough so that he will be well past his prime playing age when he is elligible for reinstatement.
Big Time
Champion

Is there a limit or order to who you can put on your neg list? How is all that determined? I'm just wondering what the harm is in putting a whole slew of players on your neg list so you can negotiate exclusively with them. Hell, why wouldn't you put Vick on your neg list? If he doesn't come you have lost anything and if he does, all you have to do is hide your dogs from him!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:The only reason I can see a CFL team putting Vick on their neg list is in case he manages to totally rehabilitate his image and still can't get an NFL job, then he could come up north for his "second chance". But I don't think any CFL team, even Toronto, would simply sign Vick once he serves his sentence and NFL supension.

As for Vick's NFL future, I don't think he ever plays in that league again. Sure other players have been involved in shootings, homicides, multiple drug charges, etc. and still get second and third chances, but none of them were quarterbacks. Non of them were the "face" of the organization they played for. If Vick was a receiver or running back, or any other position player I think he gets another shot down the road, but because he is a QB he will not.

But mostly I think the NFL is smart enough to protect itself from a stupid owner who may want to sign Vick by handing out a suspension that will make certain Vick never plays again. It may not be a lifetime ban, but I can see him getting 5 or 7 years. Something long enough so that he will be well past his prime playing age when he is elligible for reinstatement.
I can't think of a guy in any aspect of pro sport who has a tougher image to recover from than Michael Vick. Okay, OJ Simpson would be one but he was in the broadcast booth at the time of the alleged killings.

People mentioned Craig McTavish and Danny Heatley as two examples of guys who have recovered from causing tragic deaths as a result of motor vehicle crashes. McT served time for his crime and has gained redemption and seems to living a productive life and helping others with no signs of repeating his stupid drinking and driving exploits. Heatley got off even lighter but has managed to get that behind him even though his best friend lost his life and devastated a family.

The stuff that keeps coming out about dog fighting and the role alleged to have been played by Vick just sounds worse and worse. If it was true that he did some of the stuff like execute dogs, I just can't see redemption from that. It is one thing to participate in what most of us view as a barbaric event, but to mistreat defenceless animals and turn others to kill and fight is going to be very hard for him to recover from.

Can't say that some day he won't be able to say he's sorry for what he did and now wants to devote his life to saving animals or to animal protection by turning over half his earnings or something like that, but right now it sure looks bleak for the guy.

I think if he pays for his crimes and atones somehow, some way for his wrongdoing then he can come back and have another chance somewhere in the NFL to play. This will require a lot of changes on his part including a mea culpa and renunciation of his past life, his associates, friends and prove he has charted a new course.

Right now it appears from the media that his advisors (legal) were deadlocked. Some said fight and some said plea bargain and this has made him look even worse as the advice wasn't clear or quick enough. Meanwhile his "friends" did - what I just love about American justice...lol.. - and offered up a proffer for the prosecutors and in essence cooked Vick's goose while he was stewing and froing with his high priced legal team about whether to toss his buddies into the pot or jump in quick before it was really boiling as it is now.

The only ones who can't gain redemption from crimes and wrongdoing are those who don't first publicly and honestly admit to their wrongdoing and who can demonstrate that they are now on the path to a better life and committing themselves to causes more noble than just football. For Vick this might be even tougher than just clearing the hurdles in the justice system. Even some of his family say his loyalty to friends has been his downfall from his college days.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Ravi
Legend

Big Time wrote:Is there a limit or order to who you can put on your neg list? How is all that determined? I'm just wondering what the harm is in putting a whole slew of players on your neg list so you can negotiate exclusively with them. Hell, why wouldn't you put Vick on your neg list? If he doesn't come you have lost anything and if he does, all you have to do is hide your dogs from him!
You can only have a maximum of 35 players on your negotiation list at any one time.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:
Big Time wrote:Is there a limit or order to who you can put on your neg list? How is all that determined? I'm just wondering what the harm is in putting a whole slew of players on your neg list so you can negotiate exclusively with them. Hell, why wouldn't you put Vick on your neg list? If he doesn't come you have lost anything and if he does, all you have to do is hide your dogs from him!
You can only have a maximum of 35 players on your negotiation list at any one time.
There's really no point of putting players on the neg list just so you can negotiate exclusively with them. You should have a reasonable chance of signing them.