Surprise veteran cuts ...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

LFITQ
Team Captain

With Sept 1 looming which vets do you think could be feeling the pressure for the next few weeks?

This year it could be bigger than ever with the salary cap err rrather the SMS in place. It could be a way for some teams to dump some salary to help them stay under the cap limit - especially with the injury bug that is going around many of the teams this year.

Add to that point it is also NFL cut time, there might be some extra anxiety floating around a few practice fields up to Labour Day.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Rammer
Team Captain

Boerigter is going to be cut. Edwards was just cut, and the Holmes and Armstead trade eliminated two more possible cuts.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ryan Thelwell wouldn't be a major surprise
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Ryan Thelwell wouldn't be a major surprise
Maybe even moreso than Boerigter in leaving Calgary, as MB got a large signing bonus and RT didn't. The difference is that RT has market value even at his contract size, Boerigter is an American at a high price with little productivity.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Thelwell's tenure with the stamps is going to depend heavily on their ability to replace him and their ratio situation.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Rammer wrote:
Maybe even moreso than Boerigter in leaving Calgary, as MB got a large signing bonus and RT didn't. The difference is that RT has market value even at his contract size, Boerigter is an American at a high price with little productivity.
The CBA language isn't totally clear. But as a now 7 year veteran Ryan Thelwell's salary for this season is soon to be guaranteed. I'm not sure if the following means it becomes guaranteed as soon as he plays his 9th game or the Stamps play their 9th game or after the 9th game. The Stamps are at the point where if they have doubts about him giving them value for the contract now is the time to decide. If they don't believe they are getting their $125K worth I think he will be gone. In the SMS world they cannot afford to be doling that sort of money out if they aren't getting fair value in return, ratio or not. Once that 9th game is in the books the Stamps and their cap take the hit for Thelwell whether he plays or not. I think he's a prime candidate for being released.

Contracts:
All players must sign the Standard Player's Contract which governs their relationship with the team (with the exception that the CBA prevails in the event of conflict).

Clause 11 of the Standard Player's Contract may be amended to guarantee payment after termination.

Where certain veteran players are released late in the season, they are entitled to full compensation for the remainder of the season. The operative dates are the 9th regular season game for veterans of six or more years, the 11th regular season game for five year veterans and the 13th regular season game for four year veterans.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Was thinking maybe Avery or Levingston could go out of Toronto, Julian Radlein in Hamilton possibly.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Avery almost certainly. Always injured and the Argos always trying to replace him. I think Edwards will be their guy for the balance of 2007.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I do think this is one area that gets left out when discussing the new NHL salary cap and we'll see on the CFL SMS. I think there have been cuts and/or retirements (Kidd?) that MAY not have happened in a non-cap league. I was surprised to see Edwards cut( :oops: I wasn't aware he wasn't being used), guess we'll see how the next couple weeks play out.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

To be honest, I feel bad for John Avery. When he's healthy he's a good RB but he's been used so poorly and hasn't received consistent carries in his CFL career.
Tighthead
Legend

notahomer wrote:I do think this is one area that gets left out when discussing the new NHL salary cap and we'll see on the CFL SMS. I think there have been cuts and/or retirements (Kidd?) that MAY not have happened in a non-cap league. I was surprised to see Edwards cut( :oops: I wasn't aware he wasn't being used), guess we'll see how the next couple weeks play out.
The NFL has a provision where vets playing at the vet minimum have the same cap cost as the rookie minimum, so that veteran fringe guys aren't cut just for cap purposes. That makes it a little easier for the long snappers etc to hang around and have a nice career. Before, they were being priced out just because the vet minimum is about double the rookie one.
Rammer
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Rammer wrote:
The CBA language isn't totally clear. But as a now 7 year veteran Ryan Thelwell's salary for this season is soon to be guaranteed. I'm not sure if the following means it becomes guaranteed as soon as he plays his 9th game or the Stamps play their 9th game or after the 9th game. The Stamps are at the point where if they have doubts about him giving them value for the contract now is the time to decide. If they don't believe they are getting their $125K worth I think he will be gone. In the SMS world they cannot afford to be doling that sort of money out if they aren't getting fair value in return, ratio or not. Once that 9th game is in the books the Stamps and their cap take the hit for Thelwell whether he plays or not. I think he's a prime candidate for being released.

Contracts:
All players must sign the Standard Player's Contract which governs their relationship with the team (with the exception that the CBA prevails in the event of conflict).

Clause 11 of the Standard Player's Contract may be amended to guarantee payment after termination.

Where certain veteran players are released late in the season, they are entitled to full compensation for the remainder of the season. The operative dates are the 9th regular season game for veterans of six or more years, the 11th regular season game for five year veterans and the 13th regular season game for four year veterans.
Canny MacManus said this AM it was after teh 9 game mark. I think that I suggested that RT could be a casualty, but would likely get picked up by some team given his NI status, Boerigter not so much.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yes but John Avery is partly to blame for his misfortune. He was ripping up the league with the Smoes and then he did what many have done. He gambled on the NFL and lost. He never recovered from that as do many of those who ply their wares South of the Border. They are often not able to return to the level that they were at in the CFL previously.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Chris Brazzell in Winnipeg wouldn't surprise me, either Chiu or Mudge in Montreal are big dollars........if T'ranna wasn't so thin at the QB position, I would have said Damon Allen too
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

No Ordinary Joe wrote:To be honest, I feel bad for John Avery. When he's healthy he's a good RB but he's been used so poorly and hasn't received consistent carries in his CFL career.
One of the big knocks against Avery is that he doesn't block well.