the Cincinnati Kid draws in as number 2 QB

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Nice article in the Sun by Mike Beamish about Gino Guigugli

Luck's in for Cincinnati Kid

CFL rookie in place to take advantage of Pierce's latest misfortune

Mike Beamish Vancouver Sun

Monday, August 20, 2007

Injured quarterback Dave Dickenson took an active role in playcalling sessions against Calgary and he could be No. 3 for the Lions' next game.

Given the short shelf life of Lions starting quarterbacks, B.C. quickly has become the land of opportunity for Gino Guidugli.

Although the Cincinnati Kid has yet to throw a pass in the CFL, head coach Wally Buono tentatively has nominated the 24-year-old as his backup quarterback for the Lions' next game, Aug. 31 against Montreal, following a bye week.

For a team desperate to make news that doesn't have an injured quarterback's name in the headline, hope floats that Guidugli is ready.

"We think he is," Buono said, after the Lions returned to Vancouver following Friday's 45-45 overtime tie with the Calgary Stampeders. And it's not just wishful thinking on Buono's part. It could become necessary that Guidugli has the ability to win a football game.

"It's unfortunate what's happened to Dave and Buck, but Buck might be back sooner than we think," Guidugli says. "I'm just one hit away from being a starter."

That scenario moved closer to a real possibility when Pierce was diagnosed with a second degree separation of his right shoulder after X-rays were taken on Saturday. It's an injury made more problematic because the right is Pierce's throwing shoulder.

While no timeframe is set for his return, it's unlikely Pierce will be ready to practise in two weeks' time, much less play.

"Buck's been banged up a lot this year," says medical trainer Bill Reichelt, "but he was still able to function. He can't with this. It's his throwing shoulder. The ligaments are torn. There's swelling and pain and it takes some time for that to go down. In two weeks' time, he might just be getting around to where he can throw again."

With Pierce out, the quarterback depth chart has turned topsy-turvy. Jarious Jackson becomes the nominal starter, Guidugli will dress as his backup, with Dave Dickenson possibly drawing in as the third option. The belief that Dickenson is closer to returning from post-concussion syndrome, even if only as a senior sideline advisor, gained impetus in Calgary. He made the trip, threw encouragingly in pre-game warmup and, although Dickenson didn't dress for the game, his head was into it. He was actively involved in strategy and play-calling sessions on the sidelines.

"Maybe Mr. Dickenson can venture out next game and, if everything's positive, maybe he can be No. 3," Buono said. "From listening to him talk, I think he'd like to be. I'm very encouraged. It appears the trip [to Calgary] helped him get healthier, psychologically."

Hockey has something called "puck luck" but in football there apparently is no such thing as "Buck luck."

Pierce disclosed Saturday that he suffered a slight shoulder separation in the 22-21 defeat to Winnipeg on Aug. 10, a suspicion gleaned in practice last week when he spent time between throws favouring his right arm and shoulder.

In a five-week period, Pierce has, in succession, bruised his right hand, ribs, plant foot, tweaked his shoulder and then wrecked it fully. He was injured late in the fourth quarter against the Stampeders on a sack, just before the three-minute warning, as he was moving the Lions in position for a field goal. Two plays later, Paul McCallum's 27-yarder put the Lions ahead 31-24.

"I can't move it right now," said Pierce, who had his arm in a sling after Friday's game. "I had a slight separation [from the Winnipeg game]. It was sore all week. It's so frustrating right now, for this to happen. I mean, the offence played great. We put up 45 points [31 in regulation time].

"I think the key element we've been missing is having a guy in there [quarterback] consistently, who shows up and plays well."

Pierce's injury, however, is yet another setback for continuity. A shoulder separation is a particularly frustrating impairment because, although he won't require surgery, these injuries can take weeks to heal. The patient has to put the arm in a sling for one to three weeks and continually ice the shoulder 30 minutes a day in the beginning to ease the pain.

Too bad, because Buono was pleased -- no, thrilled -- with Pierce's breakout performance. He kept Calgary off balance with his play-calling, play-action rollouts and three superb passes for touchdowns (Jason Clermont, twice, and Tony Simmons) in which Pierce artfully put air under the ball and played to his receivers' speed and height advantages.

"That's growth. That's what we see in Buck," Buono says.

"And he will continue to grow. He's a bright guy and he showed tremendous poise."

And he could be the new face of the franchise, if Pierce can somehow manage to keep his body on the field.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

... hope floats that Guidugli is ready.

We think he is," Buono said, after the Lions returned to Vancouver following Friday's 45-45 overtime tie with the Calgary Stampeders. And it's not just wishful thinking on Buono's part. It could become necessary that Guidugli has the ability to win a football game.
I am looking forward to eventually seeing Gino in a game.
"Buck's been banged up a lot this year," says medical trainer Bill Reichelt, "but he was still able to function. He can't with this. It's his throwing shoulder. The ligaments are torn. There's swelling and pain and it takes some time for that to go down. In two weeks' time, he might just be getting around to where he can throw again."
Heal fast, Buck. Under the circumstances, the game you played against Calgary was amazing. 3 TDs, no Ints. Great throws. Read the D beautifully. Calm and cool. Very quick in escaping the pocket. I look forward to many years of your Quarterbacking the Lions.
"Maybe Mr. Dickenson can venture out next game and, if everything's positive, maybe he can be No. 3," Buono said. "From listening to him talk, I think he'd like to be. I'm very encouraged. It appears the trip [to Calgary] helped him get healthier, psychologically."
Glad to see Dave getting involved again. Whatever decision he makes about his football career (play or not play) I will respect.

The one guy not mentioned in the article is the one we now turn to, once again, Jarious Jackson. I hope Jarious breaks out of his NFL shackles, reads the game well and puts more touch on his passes. I think he is close to a breakout game.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Hmmm dickenson gets involved in the offensive play calling and we have a break out game for our offense ...

Can anyone else see the writing on the wall that I am seeing?
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:Hmmm dickenson gets involved in the offensive play calling and we have a break out game for our offense ...

Can anyone else see the writing on the wall that I am seeing?
On second reading of that story I think I came to a different conclusion as to who called the plays and who was helping. I think Dave was likely helping but that game plan and play calling included new wrinkles that came from the OC committee and not from DD even as to when they were used.

I can't see DD becoming an OC but I maybe off base here. I say no for several reasons:

1. It is a major drop down in pay and a major increase in working hours for someone to go from starting QB to OC!!!
2. I don't think DD and WB would be a good fit with DD as OC.
3. I think DD values the time he has with his family and that is not what an OC gets - a family life like DD has currently as a player!!!
4. Wally is too loyal to his people he chooses. Burratto he didn't choose really. If he changed to DD as OC without the others moving on, he'd look like he made a bad decision which right now is looking quite the opposite. He looks like a genius now with the adjustments to the offence and the way they played last week.

I have no idea if he likes the idea of coaching but I am sure with the pay he gets he'd find it hard to suck it up and work those hours for a fraction of what he got as a player and a lot less fun. The broadcast booth with Danny Mac, Matt Dunigan et al? It might be easier work hours and he'd be like the rest of the QBs doing broadcasts, he'd know what was being attempted by both sides O and D.

I don't know Dickenson so this is totally a wild guess on my part.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Leo_on_Rideau
Champion

It's been a while since we had a Vancouver crowd chanting "Gino! Gino! Gino!" ;)

To be clear, it's "guh-DOO-ly," right?
LFITQ
Team Captain

1. It is a major drop down in pay and a major increase in working hours for someone to go from starting QB to OC!!!
2. I don't think DD and WB would be a good fit with DD as OC.
3. I think DD values the time he has with his family and that is not what an OC gets - a family life like DD has currently as a player!!!
4. Wally is too loyal to his people he chooses. Burratto he didn't choose really. If he changed to DD as OC without the others moving on, he'd look like he made a bad decision which right now is looking quite the opposite. He looks like a genius now with the adjustments to the offence and the way they played last week.
Just to play devil's advocate here for a bit ....

1. It is a big drop in pay, however if he can't play as starting QB being an OC keeps him involved in football and does pay more than unemployment ;)
2. DD and WB know each other pretty well. I'm sure that over the several years the two of them have worked together, DD knows what WB is like and what he expects.
3. conceded to you. Family takes a back seat to the work. However, it isn't like the footall season lasts all year long either.
4. I think this is one example where it plays perfectly into DD being an OC. WB is loyal to his people and DD is one of his people.

I've been saying it for awhile now and I still think it holds water today. The plan always has been for DD to move into the OC position. Chappy left probably knowing that was what was coming down the pipe. The big pay raise to Bucky helped everyone know that Bucky was here to stay. DD got an extension to keep him around as long as he wanted to be here and to give DD a show tht he is one of WB's people. So DD plays as long as he wants (or cans as the case may be) knowing that Bucky is the up and comer and the future of the team. DD also knows that when he does call it quits he has a coaching gig waiting for him with players and coaches that already know and respect him. So now with Chappy quickly exiting instead of hiring a new OC, WB decides to run with an OC by committee with Kruck having the final say. This leaves the door open in the near future to bring in DD as OC without having to dislodge a possible other OC.

DD gets injured and gets more involved in the play calling. He finally gets really involved and the offense has a breakout game. Something we've all been waiting for all season long. Was it his actual play calling or did his presence in the play calling create more confidence for the players who have been supposedly whispering amongst themselves? Who knows. The bottom line is the offense did MUCH MUCH better.

This now gives WB the in he needed to give credence to giving DD the OC job in the future without him having to go "up the ranks".
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Leo_on_Rideau wrote:It's been a while since we had a Vancouver crowd chanting "Gino! Gino! Gino!" ;)

To be clear, it's "guh-DOO-ly," right?
Keerect, Leo.

Right from the horse's (Italian Stallion's) mouth. guh-DOO-lee

Gino, Gino, Gino

Could happen. Commercial Drive would go crazy.
Blitz
Team Captain

Dave said this morning on the radio that he was "signalling in the plays", but did not mention he was "calling the plays". I think the credit goes to Steff Kruk who with co-offensive coordinator D. Dorazio, did a terrific job in Calgary.
The game plan was put in earlier in the week by Dorazio, Kruck, and Baresi and was similar to the game the week before, with a couple of new wrinkles, including the screen pass. We just executed a lot better!

Having Dickenson on the sidelines, signalling in plays and offering a few thoughts to our quarterbacks is helpful though!! It was probably also very good for Dickenson to feel involved and helpful!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
lion24
Legend

Blitz wrote:
Dave said this morning on the radio that he was "signalling in the plays", but did not mention he was "calling the plays". I think the credit goes to Steff Kruk who with co-offensive coordinator D. Dorazio, did a terrific job in Calgary.
The game plan was put in earlier in the week by Dorazio, Kruck, and Baresi and was similar to the game the week before, with a couple of new wrinkles, including the screen pass. We just executed a lot better!

Having Dickenson on the sidelines, signalling in plays and offering a few thoughts to our quarterbacks is helpful though!! It was probably also very good for Dickenson to feel involved and helpful!
In my opinion, I thought the gameplan started to look a lot better in the Bomber game but the execution was not there. In the last game against the Stamps I thought it may have been the best gameplan plus execution the Lions have had all year. Unfortunately, with Pierce getting hurt again the lack of continuity with Pierce as QB and an offence that was finally starting to look good may be hindered unless JJ can continue this momentum into the Montreal game. If not, the Lions are going to have to hope the defence and special teams can win them games once again.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
SJ46
Starter

I hope we get to see both Jarious and Gino.
SJ46