B.C.'s new quarterback

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:
Rammer wrote:
LFITQ wrote:Sounds good David, but will he see any action anytime soon?

I'm not so sure that even if Buck goes and JJ becomes ineffective we won't see Guidugli for quite sometime (I'll be exceptionally surprised if he sees the field at all on Saturday - rightfully so too). It will probably be later into the season if we see him. I think right now he will be a non-issue until at the very latest after Labour day.
DD may be back by then, hopefully we don't see Guidugli at all this season and just see his potential in TC 08.
Will he stick around that long? Apparently he left the AFL2 for a "better" situation and if he wants to get into the NFL again, is it better for him to be in the CFL as a 4th stringer (once DD gets healthier) or playing in the AFL2? I wouldn't be surprised that if DD is coming back Guidugli leaves town.

However, the conspiracy theorist in me probably is thinking he was brought in because Wally knows DD is done and isn't coming back. Last week might have been the litmus test to see how he was feeling, that's why Guidugli wasn't brought in sooner.
Even if DD came back it would be prudent of the Lions to hold onto their 4th string QB rather than let him go, as we don't look exactly Cavillo like at the QB position on a health perspective. So keeping him around only helps assimilate Guidugli further in the Lions playbook, should the unthinkable happen. Then again it could be Bell being brought in at the roster expansion date, if Guidugli doesn't look like he is a future CFL QB.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

the Lions to hold onto their 4th string QB
What is that Phil, I thought you told me they never keep 4 QB's hence that guy they got in the Portland camp would never stick with DD, Printers and Wynn in camp.

Boy did that beer taste good. Although that QB now is starting to look a little brittle isnt he. :wink:
Last edited by Yank In BC on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
LFITQ
Team Captain

Next question then goes with how do you carry 4 QB's into a game? Especially knowing that Winnipeg wanted Gino....

IIRC to move Gino to the PR (or DR I guess now) he can be picked up by any other team. Knowing that WPG might be interested in stealing him, do you move him down there? Then where does that put you?

If you don't put him down there, do you go into game day with 4 qb's? Doesn't that mean you have to sit another Import player at a different position?

The more I think about it the more I'm wondering if this is an indicator that DD is done.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

IRC to move Gino to the PR (or DR I guess now) he can be picked up by any other team
They can also protect him, if and when DD is back, by using the extra rosters spots in how they protected Pikula all of last year.

And remember if WPG takes him from the PR, they must activate him for the next game. They already have Dinwiddie and Holland (whom they seem to like) on the active roster, as well as kliff kingsberry on their PR.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
Rammer
Team Captain

Yank In BC wrote:
the Lions to hold onto their 4th string QB
What is that Phil, I thought you told me they never keep 4 QB's hence that guy they got in the Portland camp would never stick with DD, Printers and Wynn in camp.

Boy did that beer taste good. Although that QB now is starting to look a little brittle isnt he. :wink:
Hey I also said that he was going to stick once I saw his preseason play, paid debt in full before it was a done deal also....lol IIRC as well, DD wasn't exactly 100% then either (knee) and that factored into the final equation, even though I noticed that this season they only kept around 3 as well.

Lions don't have 3 stable QB's, they need to have a solid fourth rather than relying upon Barron Miles or Anderson as a potential QB.
Last edited by Rammer on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:The more I think about it the more I'm wondering if this is an indicator that DD is done.
I came to that conclusion yesterday. Would be nice to be wrong, though.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Yank In BC wrote:
IRC to move Gino to the PR (or DR I guess now) he can be picked up by any other team
They can also protect him, if and when DD is back, by using the extra rosters spots in how they protected Pikula all of last year.

And remember if WPG takes him from the PR, they must activate him for the next game. They already have Dinwiddie and Holland (whom they seem to like) on the active roster, as well as kliff kingsberry on their PR.
The back up QB's in Winnipeg are Tweedle de, Tweedle dum & Tweedle de dum. I have no idea which could be the first jettisoned if new blood became available. None of the current back ups exactly excites any Bomber fans. Is the Lions # 4 of any greater interest?

Considering we're in week 5, I'm thinking probably not, but I've never seen him or 2 of the current back ups actually play in the CFL either.

Anyway, if the Lions wanted to keep him, wouldn't they just put an injured QB on an IR list?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Following the line of thought ... could DD be done? Say it ain't so, Joe.

I sure as hell hope not, but he has had a lot of concussions. With all the concern nowadays about the long-term effects of those, it would not surprise me greatly if DD pulled the pin.

It would be a real shame. He is a class guy and a sensational QB. He has not seemed the same this year even before getting bonged one more time.

Like they say nowadays, you have to take care of your health and your family first. I am so glad he led the Leos to the Cup in 2006.
Blitz
Team Captain

He's a fast learner....that was the report on him that I posted... so I'm not surprised he picked things up fairly quickly at his first practice.

I think DD is out for a while...how long that will be is hard to determine. It's his third concussion. It's not beyond the realm of possiblity that his doctors will recommend he sit out for the rest of the year!

The research shows that Dickenson already has three times the chance of suffering from depression than an average person, based upon his head injuries to date. He has to be very careful, especially since the three concussions have occured over the past two years!

Concussions effect each individual differently but there are certain symptons that are common but the mix may be different. Memory, mood, attention, concentration, fatigue, and mental effort are all factors. Sensitivity to light and noise are often associated with post-concussion syndrome. Dickenson is still wearing sunglasses so he's still light sensitive.

I don't believe he's going to be back anytime soon!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Balraj
All Star

Truly sad though about Dickenson. Being the competitor that he is I still think he'll come back for one last try at a cup and then maybe hang em up and move in as our OC. Best of luck Dave.
SJ46
Starter

Good article about Gino in todays (Tuesday) Vancouver Sun.
SJ46
lion24
Legend

Do we risk missing the playoffs without DD or Pierce and a now injured and struggling defence? I hope not and the effort was definitely there against Calgary and Winnipeg but how many injuries can the Lions cope with? It sounds like plenty of Lions playing are not 100% :bang: I know.........it's just a game and I should relax :sigh: :sigh:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

If Nealon Greene is available I would be tempted to sign him. He is one of those athletic QBs that can do some things in the CFL.

I think we need a third QB.

Buck could be out a long time.

DD might come back and he might not.

I like what I see of Gino. The way this year is going, injury-wise, he might get some playing time.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I too would target Nealon Greene. Buck's too banged up to even be a 3rd stringer at this point and will be in a sling for the next couple of weeks at least according to the medical information posted in the other thread. I don't see Buck being close to returning for about a month, same goes for Dave. I like Jarious, but I don't know how much I like him for 4 straight games+