Gass explains his actions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

hexx

Now we know why Gass flipped out in the game vs. Calgary on Saturday...

"Pilon literally had my entire package in his hand and squeezed," Gass said. "People think I flipped out for no reason, but I took the ball crushing. He violated me. I tried to walk away, and then he gave me a shot in the back so hard that I fell. When Comiskey came at me, and I just couldn't take it anymore.

"I had his helmet in my hand, and I just thought I'd make him run and get it. I snapped. It was a bone-headed move on my part." source

ouch...!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder what he meant by his "package"? :wink: :wink: Any ideas ? :wink:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Saw the clip on sportsnet. I know what he said but it got bleeped. Why can the CFL get away with 'our balls are bigger' but Gass gets bleeped for describing what actually happened. I wonder what other terms woulda got bleeped too?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Gass has been hit with a one-game suspension for the helmet tossing:

http://tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=215719&hubname=cfl
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
CB123
Legend

I was at that game.

I got there late, and the first play we saw was the one before the scrap. Pretty much the whole way to the locker room Gass was face to face with
the Ref arguing with him.

and damn that helmet flew.
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
Big Time
Champion

And the second that helmet went airborne was the second I said out loud "Welcome to your suspension A.J. Gass". Gass has to be an idiot to think that he wasn't going to get suspended, especially after that helmet swinging incident a few years ago with the ref. The league went so far as to ban players from even removing their helmets on the field after that. So he rips a guys helmet off and throws it down the field Damon Allen-style (i.e. to an empty space with no receiver even close) and is wondering why he got suspended? IMO, he's lucky he got only one game.
hexx

Gass has joined the ranks of athletes who've uttered the famous phrase: "it is what it is". And as you probably noticed, he appealed the suspension and played on Saturday.