Next big impact player for the Leos?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which back-up will be our next big impact player?

Adam Nicolson - WR
No votes
Tad Crawford - S
18%
Jay Pottinger - LB
28%
Ricky Foley - DE
20%
Dean Valli - OL
10%
Alexis Bwenge - RB
8%
Josh Boden - WR
18%

Total votes: 40
Rammer
Team Captain

MacNews wrote:
Scottish Leos Fan wrote:Jay Pottinger
:thup:

Gotta like the potential of him and Happy Glatt.

You like Pottsticker, Lions must also, as he was bumped up the ladder over imports. 8)
Entertainment value = an all time low
Area51
All Star

Not too sure about Crawford - - I actually like Clovis over him. Clovis played well last year for a rookie and I was surprised to see Crawford listed ahead of him on the depth chart. Very surprised especially when Miles went down and they brought Crawford in instead of Clovis.....sure enough Crawford gets torched and only a great play from Glover saved the TD.

Granted it was only his first start, but Pottinger got exposed pretty badly against Hamilton. He doesn't have the speed at OLB like J Johnson, and the problem last week was he didn't drop the hammer on anyone. Needs to work on being more physical. If you don't have the speed you better lay some people out.

My vote goes to Ricky - - getting signed by an NFL team after having a grand total of 26 games of organized football, no agent singing your praises, no exposure from the CIS in terms of awards or an invite to the shrine game is a pretty good indication of the potential that's there. The only thing is I'm not sure if he'd want to spend his career as a CFL all star or head back to the NFL.

Which makes me wonder - - does/did Brent Johnson consider going to the NFL? He's about the best the CFL has at DE, and he played big time ball at OSU, so I've got to think NFL teams have seen him enough to know what his game is.
MacNews
Team Captain

Area51 wrote:Granted it was only his first start, but Pottinger got exposed pretty badly against Hamilton. He doesn't have the speed at OLB like J Johnson, and the problem last week was he didn't drop the hammer on anyone. Needs to work on being more physical. If you don't have the speed you better lay some people out.
Agreed, but I wasn't very happy with the defence's play as a whole. I thought the LBs got torched on practically every Lumsden play. (168 yards on 11 carries...) And the D-Line didn't get too much pressure but then again they were held all the time. The secondary didn't seem to react until after the catch was made sometimes..they let Hamilton have some easy-looking receptions.

I'd like to see Jay start again because to me I don't think any one individual was the problem on D last Friday.
Rammer
Team Captain

Area51 wrote:Not too sure about Crawford - - I actually like Clovis over him. Clovis played well last year for a rookie and I was surprised to see Crawford listed ahead of him on the depth chart. Very surprised especially when Miles went down and they brought Crawford in instead of Clovis.....sure enough Crawford gets torched and only a great play from Glover saved the TD.

Granted it was only his first start, but Pottinger got exposed pretty badly against Hamilton. He doesn't have the speed at OLB like J Johnson, and the problem last week was he didn't drop the hammer on anyone. Needs to work on being more physical. If you don't have the speed you better lay some people out.

My vote goes to Ricky - - getting signed by an NFL team after having a grand total of 26 games of organized football, no agent singing your praises, no exposure from the CIS in terms of awards or an invite to the shrine game is a pretty good indication of the potential that's there. The only thing is I'm not sure if he'd want to spend his career as a CFL all star or head back to the NFL.

Which makes me wonder - - does/did Brent Johnson consider going to the NFL? He's about the best the CFL has at DE, and he played big time ball at OSU, so I've got to think NFL teams have seen him enough to know what his game is.
Brent Johnson has stated that the NFL doesn't interest him like the CFL does. He can enjoy the game while earning a living here in the CFL. He isn't going to the NFL and has said so, you have to love that the Lions drafted a guy with that kind of heart and ability. :thup:
midwestlion
Starter

Brent Johnson has stated that the NFL doesn't interest him like the CFL does. He can enjoy the game while earning a living here in the CFL. He isn't going to the NFL and has said so, you have to love that the Lions drafted a guy with that kind of heart and ability.
He is Canadian. It is best to stay in CFL because he would be coveted. In the NFL he is just another guy until the next big name comes out of college.
Rammer
Team Captain

midwestlion wrote:
Brent Johnson has stated that the NFL doesn't interest him like the CFL does. He can enjoy the game while earning a living here in the CFL. He isn't going to the NFL and has said so, you have to love that the Lions drafted a guy with that kind of heart and ability.
He is Canadian. It is best to stay in CFL because he would be coveted. In the NFL he is just another guy until the next big name comes out of college.
I think that is part of it, but it also comes down to lifestyle, he knows the NFL is a buisness for the players, long days and an even longer off season of camps.
Luke
All Star

I picked Pottinger as well. I think he'll be a fixture at one of the LB spots for us for many years. He looks like a keeper.

Oh, and I found this for Blitz, since he went off the board with his pick. www.canada.com
Rammer
Team Captain

LukeN wrote:I picked Pottinger as well. I think he'll be a fixture at one of the LB spots for us for many years. He looks like a keeper.

Oh, and I found this for Blitz, since he went off the board with his pick. www.canada.com
Hameister-Ries was a fast-growing, talented basketball player when he first went to high school, making the senior men's team his Grade 10 year. He measured six-foot, 175 pounds, had quick feet and long reach.
Geez, I missed my calling from High School, I had size on Hameister-Reis and weight was pretty equal in grade 10.....I am sure that is a mistake though.
KLuTcH
prospect

My vote is for Tad Crawford, as I see him developping the fastest and learning under the tutelage of Miles. From what I've heard he is at the top of the list in terms of work ethic and an extremely fast learner with great 'on the field' intelligence and anticipation. With a little time I see him stepping into Baron's role with great confidence and ability.

Plus, the coaching staff isn't afraid to put him into key roles on special teams and certain defensive positions. For example, when matched up on punt return to block the leading special teams tackler for Calgary, he stopped him making any tackles, or any impact whatsoever. And his knockdown in the endzone during the two point convert a couple weeks ago was a key play to seal the victory.

His hitting and tackling skills are quite good, I only have one thing to say to him..."Gain some weight!"
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

KLuTcH wrote:My vote is for Tad Crawford, as I see him developping the fastest and learning under the tutelage of Miles. From what I've heard he is at the top of the list in terms of work ethic and an extremely fast learner with great 'on the field' intelligence and anticipation. With a little time I see him stepping into Baron's role with great confidence and ability.

Plus, the coaching staff isn't afraid to put him into key roles on special teams and certain defensive positions. For example, when matched up on punt return to block the leading special teams tackler for Calgary, he stopped him making any tackles, or any impact whatsoever. And his knockdown in the endzone during the two point convert a couple weeks ago was a key play to seal the victory.

His hitting and tackling skills are quite good, I only have one thing to say to him..."Gain some weight!"
I couldn't understand what the coaches saw in Crawford at the start of the season because he was so green and his field awareness was nowhere near what is needed for a CFL safety, but with all the injuries in the secondary he has played most of the past two games as the sixth DB, and has semed to gain confidence with the experience. It's been a tough time for the secondary, which usually plays a more aggressive style, but Crawford hasn't looked out of place.
hexx

I have high hopes for Boden.