rules question

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

milky

Can somebody explain why there was no flag when Mccallum punted the ball out of bounds around the riders 35 yard line in, I believe, the 3rd quarter.

I thought the new rule states there will be a penalty if the ball is punted out of bounds between the 20's. No penalty inside the 20's.
:? :?
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

maybe the ball bounced or someone on the other team touched it before it went out
2012 Season Ticket Holder
hutch
Champion

It is a penalty but that specific punt went out at the 19 yard line...at least thats where the riders first play was from.
Rammer
Team Captain

milky wrote:Can somebody explain why there was no flag when Mccallum punted the ball out of bounds around the riders 35 yard line in, I believe, the 3rd quarter.

I thought the new rule states there will be a penalty if the ball is punted out of bounds between the 20's. No penalty inside the 20's.
:? :?
Armstead grabbed the ball before it was technically classified an out of bounds punt. Had he let it go though it may have hit the line another 2 or 3 yards further in Rider territory. I guess he was focusing on the ball and not sure about the sidelines and grabbed it. The new rule rocks as punters have to allow a returner a chance for a return rather than zero entertainment for the fans.
Entertainment value = an all time low
milky

hutch wrote:It is a penalty but that specific punt went out at the 19 yard line...at least thats where the riders first play was from.
I know the one you're talking about but there was another one before that, that went out well beyond the 20 yd. line, closer to the 30-35.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I know exactly what one Milky is referring to because I wondered myself and a fan sitting below us explained the rule.

As DP Fan states.... the ball bounced in bounds before going out. That is not a penalty according to the new rule.

It was news to me too. I guess I was getting it confused with the kickoff rule where it's a penalty regardless how it goes out of bounds.
milky

ok that makes sense. thanks
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

no problem
2012 Season Ticket Holder
notahomer
Hall of Famer

hutch wrote:It is a penalty but that specific punt went out at the 19 yard line...at least thats where the riders first play was from.
My seats are near where that spot where that punt went out. It didn't look like it would make the 20 but it did.