Jarious Jackson - Does he have a future in the CFL?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Why did he accept a third-string position?

Is he content with that?

Can he read a defense?

Why does he throw so poorly on short passes?

Why does he overthrow on long passes so often?

He seems to have excellent character.

He is very strong and athletic.

He has had a lot of time to develop with the Lions. Many QBs have taken the reins of a team with less development time and prospered.

Jarious looked the best of our QBs in training camp. However, that was by default. Dave D and Buck did not shine in camp.

Wally is an astute judge of talent.

He wanted to trade Jarious before this year began. I suspect he had decided Jarious did not have what Wally wanted in a QB.

Wally even asked publicly: "Why is Jarious here? He needs an opportunity to start somewhere." He was saying these things to make the league aware of Jarious' availability and to indicate his supposed value.

Although I like Jarious as a team player, I personally no longer think he has any potential as a CFL QB. Of course, with the delicate health of our QBs, Jarious will finish the year here. There is no way he will be back next year. And, unfortunately, I don't see any CFL teams showing any interest in picking him up.

At some point you have make your decision.
Ravi
Legend

I have felt for the last couple of years that Jarious Jackson is a decent third stringer within the B.C. system (much like Spergon Wynn was). However, I have my doubts that Jackson could ever be counted on to be a solid full-time starter for any other CFL team.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Short answer to your question: No he does not have a future in the CFL as a starter. My .02
Don Miller
Legend

Unfortunately Jarious is one of those qb's who can come in for a few plays and make it work. He does not read defences at this point very well. The game plan for him should be to get him to roll out of the pocket like CP. He is athletic and can run. He needs to work a lot on his touch passes. Many of the receptions last nite were right off the shoe tops. He had Paris and Geroy open for td's and missed because he tried to throw it on a rope. I am glad we rested Buck. He looked like he was favouring his toe on the sideline when he was warming up. Better to lose game 6 than 16. Hopefully we get and stay healthy.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
David
Team Captain

I am going to stand up and defend Jarious here. Before we declare his CFL career over (!), let's remember a few things:

a) He has not had the benefit of weeks of first team reps to get his timing down. Typically in practice, JJ plays with the scout team which invariably means throwing to our second string and PR receivers. This is a big point as timing and reps are critical to a quarterback's success.

b) He had to face one of the very best defenses in the CFL in Saskatchewan. Let's not lose sight of this fact. They're only giving up about 15 points a game. We scored 9 but with a bit of luck could have had a lot more.

c) I don't think our offensive playbook is designed to utilize his strengths....it's a DD (and Buck) playbook. And, as was pointed out in numerous posts, we went away from the things that have brought us success to date. To pin that directly on Jarious is a little unfair.

Take away his performance in the 4th quarter when it became patently obvious that he'd really lost his rhythm and confidence, and I don't feel he was terrible on the night. Could he put a better touch on the ball? You bet. Can he improve on reading defences? By his own admission, I'm sure he'd say 'yes.' But let's judge him over 2 or 3 games as a starter before writing him off, shall we? :roll:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

Ravi wrote:I have felt for the last couple of years that Jarious Jackson is a decent third stringer within the B.C. system (much like Spergon Wynn was). However, I have my doubts that Jackson could ever be counted on to be a solid full-time starter for any other CFL team.
But weren't we saying the same thing about Kevin Glenn just last year? If I could pick a quarterback off any team's roster to lead the Leos, it just might be him. I am not necessarily comparing JJ to Kevin, but merely pointing out that sometimes it takes longer for the light switch to go on with some QBs.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I am going to stand up and defend Jarious here. Before we declare his CFL career over (!), let's remember a few things:

a) He has not had the benefit of weeks of first team reps to get his timing down. Typically in practice, JJ plays with the scout team which invariably means throwing to our second string and PR receivers. This is a big point as timing and reps are critical to a quarterback's success.

b) He had to face one of the very best defenses in the CFL in Saskatchewan. Let's not lose sight of this fact. They're only giving up about 15 points a game. We scored 9 but with a bit of luck could have had a lot more.

c) I don't think our offensive playbook is designed to utilize his strengths....it's a DD (and Buck) playbook. And, as was pointed out in numerous posts, we went away from the things that have brought us success to date. To pin that directly on Jarious is a little unfair.

Take away his performance in the 4th quarter when it became patently obvious that he'd really lost his rhythm and confidence, and I don't feel he was terrible on the night. Could he put a better touch on the ball? You bet. Can he improve on reading defences? By his own admission, I'm sure he'd say 'yes.' But let's judge him over 2 or 3 games as a starter before writing him off, shall we? :roll:

DH 8)
I am agreeing and disagreeing with you.

I don't think JJ should be run out of town or his career declared dead. That is too extreme and wrong.

It is a few media guys who don't go to practices who say JJ just runs the scout team and works out with second stringers which is utterly and completely false. JJ like the other QBs in BC gets enough first team reps to know the offence and the personnel. That is not the issue. His game execution isn't sharp at all times. The good news this year is that JJ is not forcing it downfield like he did before. He has just taken it down a notch too far and is not getting enough on the passes and is trying to be so precise for the most part he just isn't passing naturally. Whether he is so fragile that seeing Buck Pierce and the trainer head to the dressing room to get him ready to play causes him to have break downs or he is squeezing the ball too hard or is just plain too uptight, I don't know as I don't have good insights into the guy. Practice time and preparation is not the issue. If the argument is insufficient game experience that is causing him to play like a rookie, I'd accept that argument over the others.

It is also not a play book thing. There are plays in the Lions play book that suit the skills of the 3 QBs. That argument has been refuted by the QBs who themselves say they have "signed off" on the offence - they said that last year and I doubt it is a lot different this year.

Did some of the play calling not suit JJ who was struggling. Yes, they could have run the ball more and take some pressure off him but he is a pro QB with experience and his bad passes were simply boo boos. I will say that the last long bomb had the Lion receivers quitting on that ball!!! They might have caught it just for the sake of making the play.

He is not the only guy who didn't do his job last night, but his errors were the most glaring and costly.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
It is also not a play book thing. There are plays in the Lions play book that suit the skills of the 3 QBs. That argument has been refuted by the QBs who themselves say they have "signed off" on the offence - they said that last year and I doubt it is a lot different this year.

Did some of the play calling not suit JJ who was struggling. Yes, they could have run the ball more and take some pressure off him but he is a pro QB with experience and his bad passes were simply boo boos.
I have to disagree completely......in order for any QB to be successful, the OC(s) MUST design the offense for the specific QB's skill set.........saying that the Lions playbook contains plays that suits the skills of all 3 QB's is hogwash.......it's a DD playbook plain and simple.

You can count the number of times you've seen Lions QBs rollout in 2007 on one hand !! When was the last time you saw any Lion QB rollout left or right, half roll in either direction or bootleg in either direction.......you don't see it because it doesn't happen because it's never called!!

Every pass play run by JJ thursday night was a drop back.......every friggin' one !! So much for calling plays to utilize the guys skill set!!

IMHO, Stef Kruek is a disaster as our sideline, calling the game OC........should definitely be moved upstairs ASAP and move Jamie Barresi back down to field level.

For the life of me, I can't figure out the logic in the gameplan thursday night.........if you were TRYING to create a gameplan that would ensure your inexperienced mobile QB would fail and destroy his confidence........you couldn't come up with a better effort than what the Lions OCs came up with..........don't run the ball......and force him to stay in the pocket......brilliant !! just friggin' brilliant!!
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:

Did some of the play calling not suit JJ who was struggling. Yes, they could have run the ball more and take some pressure off him but he is a pro QB with experience and his bad passes were simply boo boos.
I have to disagree completely......in order for any QB to be successful, the OC(s) MUST design the offense for the specific QB's skill set.........saying that the Lions playbook contains plays that suits the skills of all 3 QB's is hogwash.......it's a DD playbook plain and simple.

You can count the number of times you've seen Lions QBs rollout in 2007 on one hand !! When was the last time you saw any Lion QB rollout left or right, half roll in either direction or bootleg in either direction.......you don't see it because it doesn't happen because it's never called!!

Every pass play run by JJ thursday night was a drop back.......every friggin' one !! So much for calling plays to utilize the guys skill set!!

IMHO, Stef Kruek is a disaster as our sideline, calling the game OC........should definitely be moved upstairs ASAP and move Jamie Barresi back down to field level.

For the life of me, I can't figure out the logic in the gameplan thursday night.........if you were TRYING to create a gameplan that would ensure your inexperienced mobile QB would fail and destroy his confidence........you couldn't come up with a better effort than what the Lions OCs came up with..........don't run the ball......and force him to stay in the pocket......brilliant !! just friggin' brilliant!!
Lloyd I know that you are as large a JJ supporter as there is around here, but JJ has limitations in the big picture. If I am a defensive coordinator knowing he is the starter, why wouldn't I allow screens and swing passes all day long, he is going to miss a high percentage of them. If you can't hhit the relief valve, your CFL success is going to be limited. For the life of me I can't understand him not pulling the ball down and running with it, you just had to see how much better Burris was when he did this in last nights game. That not only gets you those extra first downs, it tires out the DL as they have to reverse their direction.

But even you have to admit he has room to improve on his throws, that tend to be in line, just up or down, which to me tells you that it is foot work. His ability to throw when everything is right (throwing lane, able to step into the throw and 20 - 40 yards) are second to none. But you don't get that every single down, or even in a set of down.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Funny you should bring up Burris........everyone knows to beat the Stamps, you contain Burris and force him to use his arm/head. When Burris is allowed to run with the ball he gains confidence and his entire game elevates.

This is not unique to Burris......it is common for ALL mobile QB's who have used their mobility as a weapon all their career......they learn to throw on the run, buy themselves time when pressured and make plays with their legs when no receiver is open......it's where they are the MOST comfortable.

With the OCs forcing JJ to stay in drop back ALL friggin' night.......it did absolutely nothing for the guys confidence or his comfort level......he looked like a raw rookie terrified to make a mistake, wanting only to do what he was told as this was how he was going to be measured. The look in his eyes in the 4th quarter said it all.........he was desperate and made some bad decisions trying to make something positive happen.

I really wonder if we'll ever see how good JJ is.........because until the DD playbook is thrown in the garbage and the Lions develop a playbook that is more in line with a mobile QB, IMHO, we'll never know.
Lloyd