Armitage is BRUTAL!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:
Jones was pretty good tonight but he still had his moments. He was a lot better than Armitage though, I'll give you that.
Agreed Mac! I'll tell ya though-they definitely either have to get some new cliches, or at least spread them out. I swear Jones referred to Joe Smith 'running downhill' 4 times within 5 minutes-ACK! And as far as the name faux pas went, I didn't realize the Stamps' new OC was George's brother, Joe Cortez! :roll:
Real women wear orange!!
Disturber
Champion

Saying Amitage is better than Rod (stick to figureskating... PLEASE) Black isn't say much :rockin:
Go Lions!
MacNews
Team Captain

CatsEyes wrote:Agreed Mac! I'll tell ya though-they definitely either have to get some new cliches, or at least spread them out. I swear Jones referred to Joe Smith 'running downhill' 4 times within 5 minutes-ACK! And as far as the name faux pas went, I didn't realize the Stamps' new OC was George's brother, Joe Cortez! :roll:
It makes you wonder if these staff (Not just commentator but colour guy and sideline reporters) get any training before the go on TV..no offence to Jones or McManus but they need more practice before they are ready for Prime Time.

That must be embarrassing for CBC, I mean Armitage has been doing TV for years and he gets the basics wrong!
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Armitage is crap. It's like listening to the Sam The American Eagle muppet call a football game. I keep waiting for him to tell us that all of the players are naked underneath their clothes.
Benefield: thdn More entertaining as a columnist than a broadcaster.
Nonsense. His voice, diction, and delivery are purrfect. He offers solid insights on the game. Good sideline guy and pregame guy, miles ahead of Millington. As a columnist, he should stick to television. He's a below average writer.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:Armitage is crap. It's like listening to the Sam The American Eagle muppet call a football game. I keep waiting for him to tell us that all of the players are naked underneath their clothes.
:rotf: :rotf:
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
By the way, I have come to appreciate Tom Larscheid, the ex BC Lion, as a hockey commentator of all things. Ironically, now that he is near the end of his career, I find his emotions, insights, turns of phrase and response to the game very appropriate. I will miss Old Tom when he hangs them up :thup:
"After his retirement from football, he became the colour commentator for the Lions on CKNW, working alongside play-by-play man Jim Cox. In 1977, he added hockey broadcasting to his duties, joining Jim Robson in the booth for Vancouver Canucks radio broadcasts. When the Lions radio rights moved to CFUN in 1983, Larscheid went with them and left the Canucks broadcasts. In 1984, Cox retired and J. P. McConnell became the new "voice of the Lions". In 1988, the Lions moved back to CKNW and Larscheid resumed his work with the Canucks."

I will never forget listening to those Lions broadcsts from CFUN radio at my appartment, in Victoria.

They were only exhibition games ( in those days there were four games insted of two), but guys always made it exciting and fun.

Hope Tom will have grand old retirement and he'll be missed
Last edited by PigSkin_53 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
Benefield: thdn More entertaining as a columnist than a broadcaster.
Nonsense. His voice, diction, and delivery are purrfect. He offers solid insights on the game. Good sideline guy and pregame guy, miles ahead of Millington. As a columnist, he should stick to television. He's a below average writer.
Since this is an opinion piece ...

I have always enjoyed Benefield's columns in the newspaper. They are entertaining and topical whether on football or other subjects.

As a broadcaster, he is very nervous, afraid to speak without looking down to check his notes and very unsure of himself. He gets rattled and loses his train of thought.

Nothing wrong with his insights or knowledge of the game. I like his ideas. He just lacks in confidence in his delivery.

I agree that Millington is nothing special.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I found it funny how for the longest time last night, Markeith Knowlton didn't have a first name. Also, apparently Javy Glatt recovered that fumble.
Kirk is #1

Here's to hoping the CBC announcers go back on strike....

Those games that were broadcast with just the pictures were the best !! :beer:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Next to been a senator it's impossible to lose your job at CBC. Just ask Bob Cole, Steve Armitage and Don Cherry.
Rammer
Team Captain

Kirk is #1 wrote:Here's to hoping the CBC announcers go back on strike....

Those games that were broadcast with just the pictures were the best !! :beer:
They may have been at least according to the TV viewership numbers, they increased significantly during the strike.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Luke
All Star

In Armitage's defense, he's not a football announcer. Its not his forte (as you notice when you listen to him) and I think people should be placing more blame on the CBC for putting him in a position that makes him look so terrible.

I wasn't a big fan of his work on Saturday either, but we should keep in mind the situation he's been placed in with CBC, after the idiotic firing of Chris Cuthbert a couple years ago. :x