Best BC Lions Owner?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Best BC Lions Owner?

Poll ended at Sun May 15, 2005 10:17 pm

Murray Pezim
No votes
Bill Comrie
5%
Nelson Skalbania
3%
David Braley
92%

Total votes: 38
rickhale
Starter

Pezim was a moron!!!!!! PERIOD Im glad we dont have to see the likes of him anymore. I went to the game after he GAVE UP the lions and his fat ass was still in the owners box so i yelled at him to get out of there because i had more right to be there than he did. nuf said!! :bang: :x :thdn:
Pretty girls make us buy beer.
Ugly girls make us drink beer.
Al Bundy 1988
derekrazzellsballs

Dave is the man. Comrie did us a service becsuse without him there may be no bc lions to speak of. I guess you could say the same of Mr. Braley. The one thing Braley isn't is flashy, but he doesn't need to sell tix himself. He is our rock and I think that is all you can ask for. just a side note... Bruce Mcnall must have been one of the best and worst owners in cfl history. I was reading the back of a Rocket Ismail trading card and it said that Mcnall sign the rocket to a 4 year 24.6 million dollar contract in 1991!!! Is that off the frickin charts or what?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

derekrazzellsballs wrote:If I wasn't canadian i think i would kill myself, that or someone else. Remember that year we had Andre Ware? Man that season sucked..3-15.......
That was the 1996 season under the ownership of Nelson Skalbania. The Lions were actually 5-13 that year, which isn't good by any means but at least they were tied for last place with Saskatchewan in the west and it still isn't as bad as the 3-15 season of 1992. If there was anything good from that season, it's that Damon Allen was signed midway through it.
Last edited by Robbie on Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

derekrazzellsballs wrote:Bruce Mcnall must have been one of the best and worst owners in cfl history. I was reading the back of a Rocket Ismail trading card and it said that Mcnall sign the rocket to a 4 year 24.6 million dollar contract in 1991!!! Is that off the frickin charts or what?
While it certainly did generate some hype, the long-term effects weren't that great. Ismail led the Argos to the 1991 Grey Cup but didn't win Best Rookie (lost out to BC's Jon Volpe) and after a not-so-good 1992 season, the Rocket was deemed expendable and let go to try for the NFL. TSN bought the team from Bruce McNall in 1994.

Before we leave this topic, one image that I'll never forget is the one of part-owner Wayne Gretzky holding up the Grey Cup. Now, what's wrong with that picture? :lol:
Last edited by Robbie on Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Before we leave this topic, one image that I'll never forget is the one of part-owner Wayne Gretzky holding up the Grey Cup. Now, what's wrong with that picture? :lol:
Here is that picture I was talking about.

MacNews
Team Captain

Was that Grey Cup held at BC Place?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Robbie wrote:Before we leave this topic, one image that I'll never forget is the one of part-owner Wayne Gretzky holding up the Grey Cup. Now, what's wrong with that picture? :lol:
Here is that picture I was talking about.

The Are No Goods !
Robbie
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:Was that Grey Cup held at BC Place?
No, the 1991 Grey Cup game was held in Winnipeg. But that picture appears to have been taken inside the Skydome. So the event may have been a post-Grey Cup celebration inside the Skydome.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

RIP Candy, thanks for the laughs
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:RIP Candy, thanks for the laughs
Yeah, if you look behind Gretzky's right shoulder in that picture, there's John Candy!
gameface

I'll echo virtually everybody's comments on David Braley. Robbie hit it on the head.

Plus, Mr Braley has/had the best old school hairdo by far!

The fact that he pulled the team out of the fire and has stayed involved so long despite living halfway across the country definitely counts for something.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

gameface wrote:The fact that he pulled the team out of the fire and has stayed involved so long despite living halfway across the country definitely counts for something.
:whs:
Yeah, Braley has been a great owner over his 11 years with the team.

What I like about Braley is that he is very versatile in the fact that he has had to deal with many general managers and coaches during his tenure, and he seemed to get along rather well with all of them.

Just wondering, to what extent does Braley get involved with the team's transactions or does he leave all of that to Buono, Ackles, and O'Billovich?

Just before the start of the 1992 season, many people blamed then-owner Murray Pezim for not willing to match the offer made by Calgary owner Larry Ryckman and the team lost Doug Flutie. In his 11 years as owner, can Braley be blamed for losing a good player to free agency in the same fashion?
Rammer
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:
gameface wrote:The fact that he pulled the team out of the fire and has stayed involved so long despite living halfway across the country definitely counts for something.
Yeah, Braley has been a great owner over his 11 years with the team.

What I like about Braley is that he is very versatile in the fact that he has had to deal with many general managers and coaches during his tenure, and he seemed to get along rather well with all of them.

Just wondering, to what extent does Braley get involved with the team's transactions or does he leave all of that to Buono, Ackles, and O'Billovich?

Just before the start of the 1992 season, many people blamed then-owner Murray Pezim for not willing to match the offer made by Calgary owner Larry Ryckman and the team lost Doug Flutie. In his 11 years as owner, can Braley be blamed for losing a good player to free agency in the same fashion?
Not that I can recall, Braley has been especially supportive of the players who have remained Lions, and until Wally entered the picture, most stayed longer than they do now.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Ravi
Legend

I would love to know who the person was who voted for Skalbania as the best owner. :lol:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:I would love to know who the person was who voted for Skalbania as the best owner. :lol: