Leos/Calgary Post-Game Thoughts!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MacNews
Team Captain

Scottish Leos Fan wrote:Cameron Wake & Brent Johnson were beasts last night :rockin:
Thought it was funny the Calgary PA guy called him Derek Wake once, lol he's not the only guy who's gotten it wrong!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

•I was really impressed with Knowlton who really stepped up in what was a vulnerable situation with all the injuries in the secondary. Copeland's TD wasn't his fault as the Stamps had two receivers in his zone and Crawford was too late in recognizing it. He was in tight coverage all night and made a terrific play on Glover's game clinching INT.

The Lions depth at DB is flat our scary. It wasn't long ago where one starting DB going down was too much to overcome.

•Ask any GM in the league what player they would like to have to build their team around and I bet most would say Brent Johnson. Back to back Outstanding Canadian awards, top defensive player a year ago and he's well on his way to another monster season. Has become one of the true Lion greats and his work is far from done.
Should have had two sacks last night as one of them was a force fumble which oddly doesn't count as a sack according to the league.

•Just checking McCallum's stats .... 12 of 14 on FGs and a 45 yard punting average. Simply outstanding and returning home has breathed new life into his career.

•CBC pointed out how Jackson was wide open on a post route when Simon drew the interference call. I know the Lions have a more balanced attack but just cannot understand how a receiver with that much talent doesn't have one pass thrown his way the entire night.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:•CBC pointed out how Jackson was wide open on a post route when Simon drew the interference call. I know the Lions have a more balanced attack but just cannot understand how a receiver with that much talent doesn't have one pass thrown his way the entire night.
I don't believe CBC on that play (or many plays, for that matter). There was a safety playing centre field where Jackson was, but he vacated the area when he saw the ball going to Simon on the left sideline. Players sometimes look open down the middle, but that's because the safety has vacated the area to flow to the ball.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:•CBC pointed out how Jackson was wide open on a post route when Simon drew the interference call. I know the Lions have a more balanced attack but just cannot understand how a receiver with that much talent doesn't have one pass thrown his way the entire night.
I don't believe CBC on that play (or many plays, for that matter). There was a safety playing centre field where Jackson was, but he vacated the area when he saw the ball going to Simon on the left sideline. Players sometimes look open down the middle, but that's because the safety has vacated the area to flow to the ball.
Probably correct on that call BC FAN, but you have to admit that a covered Paris Jackson is open with no one behind him, as his leaping ability is far superior to any defenders. IIRC also, P Jackson and J Jackson both practiced together in the off season a season or two ago, they should have some chemistry together.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

I believe Markeith Knowlton could start on a lot of teams. As much as I like Knowlton, I worry about losing Banks for any period of time. Every team has at least one or two ballhawks, but to have 4 bona fide ballhawks (Miles, Banks, Phillips, Marsh) taking 80% of available positions, is a luxury not many teams have, and can limit opposition passing yards. I'm not discrediting Mark Washington at all, but I feel that he's lost a step or two in the past couple of years, to the point where he was being picked on by opposing QBs. Burris threw for 423 yds against a depleted secondary.

Was that to be expected? With Banks and Washington leaving the game in addition to already missing Marsh, having Glover and Mitchell play unfamiliar positions, I can't say that it's all shocking.
Blitz
Team Captain

I believe Markeith Knowlton could start on a lot of teams. As much as I like Knowlton, I worry about losing Banks for any period of time
Banks allows us to do things that other secondaries can't do!

Knowlton will likely become our nickel next season!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
I believe Markeith Knowlton could start on a lot of teams. As much as I like Knowlton, I worry about losing Banks for any period of time
Banks allows us to do things that other secondaries can't do!

Knowlton will likely become our nickel next season!
I think that may happen sooner if Washington's injury keeps him out for any length of time and Knowlton shines like he did on Saturday.........Buono doesn't avoid replacing a vet midseason if he thinks he has a better replacement.

What's really impressive about Knowlton's play.....Buono said after the game that Knowlton had never practised the position !!
Lloyd