Dickenson's Comments and our Offence!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

I woke up early this morning to read the sports sections of our two major newspapers and when I read Dickenson's comments I could feel my temperature rising big time! First of all, to review what Dickenson said to Mike Beamish, at least as quoted in the Vancouver Sun..and I doubt Beamish got it wrong.

Quote from Vancouver Sun

"Sometimes with Jacques the guys had more of a comfort level. They knew what he was going to call. Steff gave us a good game plan, but when it's not working we've got to get off that plan. I don't think we've established what kind of offence we want to be. Are we trying to be run team, a deep throwing but ball-control team? You can't do everything"

WHAT WAS SAID WAS WRONG

I realize that what I'm about to say will likely be controversial with some of you. I also realize it could upset some Dickenson 'fan...atics'. I may not be one of them but I still consider him an excellent quarterback. This also has nothing to do with his ability. He's a team leader. His teammates read it. What he said was wrong..period.

First of all, you don't say what Dickenson said to the press, after your very first CFL game with a new co-offensive coordinator and someone who was your previous quarterback's coach. You don't criticize the guy in his first game calling the plays. If Dickenson had a problem he should have talked about it with Kruck. This had to be embarrassing for Kruck to read. Talk about undermining a guy before the guy has hardly even gotten started in his new position. I also thought Kruck made a good move by going no huddle when he did.

It's not as if Chapdelaine was a great play caller in his first season (2005) as our offensive coordinator. It was even worse in Chapdelaine's first full season in Calgary. This board was filled with frustration in 2005 with Chapdelaine's play calling and inability to adjust during a game (and getting our quarterbacks beaten up with his six pack receiver sets and naked bootlegs). However, we didn't hear a peep out of Dickenson about the offensive coordinator then. Even the Chap himself said he needed to improve his play calling going into the 2006 season. (which he did)

Dickenson knows that you need to be able to run the football, control the football, and pass short, intermediate, and deep. He decides on a passing play where to go with the football..always has in this offence.. and always will.

THIS WAS WALLY"S DECISION

Secondly, Dickenson is a veteran. He knows why Wally made this call to go with two co-offensive coordinators. Wally did it after the Chap left because he had no one who knew the Calgary offence as well as these two guys do. The lines of communication are clear and straight forward and Kruck is calling the plays, with information from Baresi and Dorazio. Dorazio has always been down at the sidelines and he's providing Kruck with additional information. Kruck has come down from the spotters booth, where he provided the information and recommendations to Chapdelaine.

While I also prefer one offensive coordinator this system has clear lines of responsibility. Dickenson's comments to the press only inflame a situation that many fans wouldn't understand. The offense isn't working..it's simple...blame it on the co-coordinators! He also didn't mention that Hufnagel, who created this offence, spent all training camp working with the offence and it's basically the same offence that Hufnagel designed that is still being run today. By being critical Dickenson didn't take personal responsibility and also undermined Wally's decision without even giving it a chance.

TAKE RESPONSIBILITY

Third of all, if Dickenson was going to say something, his comments might have carried more weight if they had come after a poorly conceived game plan..which it wasn't or a significant difference in the pass/run ratio. The fact is that Dickenson made some bad reads, threw poorly most of the game, threw an interception and was lucky that another wasn't thrown for a touchdown. He was tentative, missed open receivers, and some of his throws were 'ducks'. Simon, Jackson, and Clermont are playing familiar positions, as is Smith and the entire offensive line. Every play called out there is part of the Calgary offence that has been practiced and run for years. It almost looked like Dickenson was trying to deflect responsibility on his poor performance somewhere else.

At one point, Dickenson had completed only two of seven passes for seven yards and the Lions didn't produce a first down until half-through the second quarter...22 minutes of footbaall. We still threw the football 27 times and would have had more attempts if Dickenson could have managed to orchestrate more first downs.

Dickenson had a sideline pass to Rodgers nearly intercepted and returned for a touchdown by Jordan Younger in the first quarter, then in the second quarter, Dickenson misfired on an end-zone pass to Jason Clermont when he hesitated before releasing the ball. He missed Simon being open on crossing patterns time and again. He made a bad throw to Rodgers in the second quarter when Rodgers had his man beaten deep. At one point, Dickenson had completed only two of seven passes for seven yards and the Lions didn't produce a first down until half-through the second quarter. He didn't have a stellar game.

PLAYING TORONTO"S DEFENSE IS USUALLY MISERABLE

Toronto has the best defense in the league and they have usually played us tough, no matter who the quarterback, and the quarterback has usually been Dickenson. He threw for only a few more yards against Toronto in the 2004 Grey Cup and he didn't criticize his offensive coordinator for that game. He also passed for less than 200 yards in last year's Grey Cup game and didn't blame it on his offensive coordinator. He didn't blame his offensive coordinator at the time for a poor offensive showing in the 2005 Western Final. It's not easy to go back East for an early game in a short week. So write it off as an offensive game that was ugly at times, take the win, and shut up about criticizing the offence to the press.

Finally, in terms of an offensive 'identity' as Dickenson called it...none of the passing plays are designed to be long or short or intermediate passing plays. Uusally they have all those options and Dickenson makes the read and goes short, intermediate, and deep. In terms of the running game we didn't run any more than usual, based upon the second half of last season. Most CFL teams want to run the football more this season because defenses are lighter, faster, and designed to stop the pass first. We've all learned the lesson of what it's like to not have a running attack as the 2005 Western Final proved.

DICKENSON HAD THE OPTION TO CALL HIS OWN PLAYS

Dickenson was given the opportunity to call all his own plays this season. Wally has tried, in the past, to get Dickenson to call more of his own plays. Dickenson perfers to have them called in from the sideline and the opportunity to audible. I agree with that strategy but if you don't want to call your own plays don't *beeotch* about them.

ULLRICH'S COMMENTS

Finally, Ullrich's comments in his blog ring with the most truth. Ullrich said:

"Something is still not right. with Dave Dickenson at the controls, you are more than inclined to give it a few more games, but there is a lack of crispness to the attack. The players are the same. The plays are the same. But something is missing!" (end of quote)

There is no question that something doesn't look right with Dickenson and has all through camp! Maybe Dickenson misses the Chap! They were close. The Chap was always an advocate and a confidant. In the quarterback controversy of the past and the decsion as to which quarterback to sign at the end of 2005 the Chap was always a Dickenson man. Wally and Dickenson work well together but they are not buddies.

Perhaps this has nothing to do with it. Maybe it's just that they are dealing with the mental aspects of being last year's Grey Cup champs. Perhaps the problem is just between their ears although it didn't seem to effect the defense in Toronto. They played great, especially since they were on the field so much. Offense also takes longer to get in sync after an off-season and it also requires a different mindset from playing defense. If you don't practice sharp then timing can be slightly off and that's all it takes at the pro level.

We have too much talent on offence and I'm confident in a better game at home. However, it's time for Dickenson to start looking at himself to get this thing straightened out instead of elsewhere. He's been playing in this offence for a long time. The play calling was sound. In this game he wasn't!! That was the bottom line!!
Last edited by Blitz on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:39 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I know it pains some people to admit it, but the "something" that is missing from the Lions' offence this year is Jacques Chapdelaine. No offence to Steff Kruck, but Dickenson's comments merely validated what many of us said last night. Dickenson clearly made some poor throws into coverage, but the main difference between last year's offence and this year's is that Steff Kruck lacks experience calling plays. It will take more time than usual for the offence to gel this year.
Rammer
Team Captain

The words that were printed don't sound like the conservative nature that DD generally provides. He is the first person to look at for his play, having Simon open on a couple of occasions and that will be pointed out on the game film. I heard Simon on the TEAM today asked about his lack of production and he chose words that included the team concept, saying that if he is covered then it is good for others to get the ball.

If you recall there was some other words on DD's morning timeslot suggesting to be in the hunt at LD and then to turn it up. I think that his play indicates that his mindset isn't as focused as it will be in a few weeks. I just hope that we don't gift wrap a game or two until that happens.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blitz - I'd not put too much into those comments of DD. I didn't really think he was tossing the play caller under the bus. If Steff Kruck was not familiar with DD or brand new, I might have raised an eyebrow at those comments, but they all know each other despite the role change this year. I think even the OCs wouldn't be upset with him either. DD if nothing else says what he is thinking. I am sure he isn't trying to blame play calling for his errors like Henry Burris did with Burratto in Calgary.

The play calling had nothing to do with DD tossing the ball over heads etc in that first half yesterday.

DD isn't sharp and I blame it on the decision to play JJ too long in that home pre-season game and not get that first team offence ticking right.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

think that his play indicates that his mindset isn't as focused as it will be in a few weeks
You make some very good points Rammer. I think it's also important to remember that during those times of the quarterback controversy, as I mentioned, and after the Leos tried to sign Printers as the starter at the end of 2005, he always had the Chap boosting him and always in his camp.

Dickenson has also just come out of a long process in getting a new contract extension signed. Those things are always difficult and distracting. It took the Leos a long time to get around to discussing Dickenson's contract. Dickenson didn't get his guaranteed contract or no trade clause. Dickenson had to insist on a penalty if the Leos traded him after a certain date. That in itself shows that Dickenson was concerned the Leos might trade him in the future. Chapdelaine isn't here to talk to about these things.
know it pains some people to admit it, but the "something" that is missing from the Lions' offence this year is Jacques Chapdelaine. No offence to Steff Kruck, but Dickenson's comments merely validated what many of us said last night. Dickenson clearly made some poor throws into coverage, but the main difference between last year's offence and this year's is that Steff Kruck lacks experience calling plays. It will take more time than usual for the offence to gel this year.
Of course Kruck lacks Chapdelaine's experience calling plays. He's never done that before except sending down recommendations from the spotters box. But how is he going to get experience. The same way that Chapdelaine did...by doing it. However, you didn't hear Dickenson saying anything negative about Chapdelaine while we all went through the pain of his learning curve.

I also didn't see anything wrong with the play calling against Toronto. However, if there was... Dickenson shouldn't have said anything to the press. He's a veteran. How does a rookie like Rodgers perceive his offensive coordinator after the team's veteran quarterback has undermined him.

We can have all the opinions we want about the offensive coordinator past and present. That's what we do here. I also said at the end of 2005 that I wanted Chapdelaine to return in 2006 and he improved a lot as I anticipated he would. He may not have been my cup of tea as a coach but I gave him credit for a job well done, overall, last season.

We've had our differences of opinion on Chapdelaine B.C. Fan. I realize that and I'n always interested in your views because you know this game very well. However, there is a big difference between some Lionbackers making comments on this board about the offensive coordinator and your teams veteran quarterback making comments about the situation to the press.

No matter which way the Leos coaches deal with it in the press (and they'll try to minimize it) I cannot see anyway that Wally, Kruck, Dorazio, and Baresi are not major pissed off about it! You just don't do that and Dickenson knows better! You keep those kinds of thoughts out of the press!
Last edited by Blitz on Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good post Blitz. I agree with most of what you're saying. Dickenson should look in the mirror before criticizing his Offensive Coordinator. I'm sure there was a comfort level with Chapdeleine calling the plays. Perhaps Dickenson likes to be pounded by opposing defensive lineman. LOL :lol:
lion24
Legend

What Dickenson has to worry about is not throwing "Lollipop" throws 30 yards to the sidelines and almost getting picked off :bang: :bang: He is too good to be doing the things he has been doing in the last preseason game and first game against the Argos to be making excuses and Buck should get some time if his poor play continues.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Blitz
Team Captain

The play calling had nothing to do with DD tossing the ball over heads etc in that first half yesterday.

DD isn't sharp and I blame it on the decision to play JJ too long in that home pre-season game and not get that first team offence ticking right.
Have a look around the league Toppy and see how much time each team's starting quarterback's played in the exhibition season. Dickenson had more time than most. All starting quarterbacks should have more time in the exhibition season but with only two exhibition games it's tough for all coaches. Dickenson got three quarters of playing time in the exhibition season...Damon Allan, who started last night only got a half. Dickenson is also coming back with a veteran team. Allan was also running a new offence. Ricky Ray also has a different offence and more new personell. He was on the money with Acree all night and he's never played with him before.

Dickenson is a veteran with the press and doesn't make mistakes easily. As for knowing Kruck and all before only makes it worse, not better. They wouldn't expect something like this to come out of his mouth, especially after the wars they've been through together, including a Grey Cup championship season. You may believe that the the Leos coaching staff won't be that upset but I've known a lot of pro coaches in my day and I can say, without question, everyone of them would be very upset with their veteran quarterback making those kind of comments.
Rammer
Team Captain

Okay Allen isn't exactly the poster boy QB for not getting preseason action....;) or mayebe it was just our D that made him look like a 43 year old QB. And I gaurantee you that Ray won't be as affective on the Lions D, especially with Acree.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lion King
Rookie

I have to admit I was surprised reading those comments myself, and I tend to agree with Blitz regarding these comments. It comes down that game #1, that these comments are not called for.

My belief is that as a leader Dickenson should not show dissension or disdain for the playcalling. Although, this might not have been his intention, it comes across this way.

My initial thought is that this will be an anomoly in what is said about the oC's
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I may be cutting DD too much slack for the comments and not fully or adequately looking at it from the coaching staff's point of view - I grant you that.

Will Wally and the coaches look at it like it is just Dave talking - no big deal. We know he accepts responsibility for his own play.

Or, will they be angry and feel that Dave is calling out the OC's and their play calling and not accepting his part of the blame for his own play?

My sense is that Wally if asked will not get too upset if the media bring these comments up. In the worst case, he might tell the media that DD and the offence need to look in the mirror at their own play but Wally won't likely take the bait and get in a public spat with his QB. I am pretty sure that Wally (who I have never met) would not overreact to these comments like other coaches Blitz has known who would go ballastic at this.

As a coach I'd want to get feedback on how the QB sees the play calling and his own play. If his view didn't match mine and he didn't accept responsibility for his play - good and bad - I'd bring that to his attention. What I wouldn't want to do is attribute motives to the QBs statements or this can lead to more serious issues. By that I mean, I'd not want to tell myself that this guy is calling out my OC. That leads to actions that you don't want. You can address the guy and suggest that it is best to keep those views inside the team with the coaches as it might be that even DD thinks now 'Yikes, I might have overstated that'. You want to give the guy an out.

As Blitz notes some coaches in the pros will take this personally and call the guy and get in a battle. That to me is unproductive.

No doubt Steff Kruck is learning on the job. It is one thing to know the play book, it is another to have a game plan and be able to make smart decisions on the fly when things aren't working and to get a rhythm that works with his QBs. It takes time to be able to do that as a coach and play calling as an OC or DC must be as tough as it gets. There are some times that coaches can see games unfold as if it were in slow motion and other times you are left scratching your head if your team is on the ropes and wondering 'what on earth do I do next to change this?' and making sure your players don't know you are in a fix like that!
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

My sense is that Wally if asked will not get too upset if the media bring these comments up. In the worst case, he might tell the media that DD and the offence need to look in the mirror at their own play but Wally won't likely take the bait and get in a public spat with his QB. I am pretty sure that Wally (who I have never met) would not overreact to these comments like other coaches Blitz has known who would go ballastic at this.
What I said Toppy is that the coaches would be very upset. I also said that Wally would minimize it publically. Most pro coaches are smart enough to do that. However, privately, they wouldn't be happy at all.

I have great respect for the challenging job pro coaches have. I also believe you give a coach the opportunity to prove himself. Kruck is a very good guy who has done a very good job with the quarterbacks on this team. Buck Pearce's development and Jarious Jackson's improvement has a lot to do with Kruck.

I originally believed that Dorazio's schemes were too complex but last season he made some changes to the blocking scheme that paid big dividends...in both the pass and run game. His new zone blocking scheme for the running game is being copied by other coordinators in the league. No one can ever question Dorazio's dedication to his profession. Gettting to work at 2 a.m. every day is one example of that dedication. His offensive lineman have the highest regard for him. His wealth of experience as a coach, in a variety of major programs, as well as the CFL, is well documented.

Baresi volunteered with the Leos last season and his work with the running game was not mentioned but valuable in our Grey Cup season. In one way I would have liked to have Baresi as the offensive coordinator..he had previous offensive coordinator experience. However, how could Wally have not rewarded the work, loyalty, and dedication of Dorazio and Kruck. He divided the job (which meant a pay raise for both) because he needed Kruck to call the plays but he also needed to provide Dorazio a bigger role.

Loyalty counts with Wally. We saw him stick with Chapdelaine through hs struggles in Calgary and struggles here until last season. Dickenson obviously kept quiet through those struggles as well.

Wally wants to give Kruck and Dorazio this opportunity. It wouldn't have been his way to bring in someone from the outside who wanted to run a different offence. The Calgary offence has always passed the torch to the next guy in line within the offence...from it's originator Hufnagel to Cortez to Chapdelaine to now Kruck and Dorazio.

I just watched Cavillo on television. He's working with a new offensive coordinator and a new offensive system. The change must be hard for him. He threw three interceptions and the Montreal only put up 7 points in the loss to Saskatchewan. Cavillo took the loss entirely on his shoulders. That's the way a veteran should do it!

You likely won't hear a word from Wally, Kruck, or Dorazio. If the press asks they'll shrug it off. However, that doesn't mean they liked it...at all!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

News Flash ... Dickenson runs his mouth, blames others LOL

It is rather bizarre.

DD is the last guy you would ever expect to complain, shift blame, etc.

He even expressed guilt and regret for putting heat on Jiminez for stepping on his foot during TC.

DD is a standup guy, a great teammate, a coach on the field, etc.

But it seems he is not quite himself yet this year.

Perhaps it is a combination of things: finally winning a Grey Cup with him as starter (getting that monkey off his back), new contract, new offensive coordinators, continuing pressure to stay ahead of Buck Pierce, age, concussions, physical problems, who knows what else? For whatever reason(s), he is not sharp the way has always been here with the Lions.

Is his heart still in it the same way? Does he still have the same burning drive to succeed? Has he not got his regular season game face on yet? Is it a function of age?

One of the tricky things about the situation is that we compare Dave to himself, to his performance in the past. And that is a ridiculously high standard, at least in the regular season. I have never seen a QB so sharp as Dave has been in his years with the Lions.

Whatever, he has earned some loyalty and patience from us. The Lions record is 1 -0 for the season. We defeated a very challenging Argonaut team (admittedly with its own problems).

It is hard to win a championship. And winning seems to make it very difficult to find the right head space to repeat.

Fortunately for us fans, the defensive line to be roaring right out of the starting gate. I would expect the entire team to gradually find its groove.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:I know it pains some people to admit it, but the "something" that is missing from the Lions' offence this year is Jacques Chapdelaine. No offence to Steff Kruck, but Dickenson's comments merely validated what many of us said last night. Dickenson clearly made some poor throws into coverage, but the main difference between last year's offence and this year's is that Steff Kruck lacks experience calling plays. It will take more time than usual for the offence to gel this year.
Before all of us throw Steff Kruck under the bus after oh, I dunno, one whole CFL game(?!?), let's not forget the man who wears a halo in this league, the offensive guru Steve Burratto, made a pretty bone-headed call in the dying minutes of Thursday's game. He called a draw play to Jamel White on second and long that got stuffed by the B.C. defence.

I'm with Blitz. DD has to show some restraint and respect for his coaches in his public comments. While I've always appreciated Dave's candor with the media, there are times it's like he's on "truth serum" and a little more discretion with his slings and arrows would be advised.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar