WWE Star Passes Away

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

CB123
Legend

has anyone ever met eddie.i have and he was really nice
I was a big WWF fan when I was younger, but I never met any of the actors. I stopped watching when they merged with the WCW, it just turned into way too much of a soap-opera.
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Chris Benoit RIP http://www.wwe.com/
Wear orange or wear nothing
lion24
Legend

I used to watch wrestling quite a bit and in the last 4-5 years I have gone away but I went to a Smackdown PayPerView Event here in Edmonton and there was a great reception at Rexall as he grew up in the Edmonton area. Unfortunately it seems that wrestlers live a short life and there have been many deaths in the last while. I don't know what happened here but it is an extremely worrying situation involving his child and wife and I guess we may find out in the future. A very sad and disturbing situation whatever happened.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Balraj
All Star

Yes Chris Benoit has in fact died. This one is a real tragedy in that him and his family(his wife and son) were found dead in there home near Atlanta. R.I.P. Chris.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

What's even worse is it looks as though this was a murder/suicide....

From ABC news:

Pro wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his son before hanging himself in the weight room of his Georgia home, a law enforcement official close to the investigation told The Associated Press.

Benoit, his wife and 7-year-old son were found dead Monday afternoon, and police later ruled the deaths a murder-suicide.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=3315501&page=1
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
CartWheelFan
All Star

I am a big wrestling fan, Monday Night RAW is about the only thing my dad and I ever watch together regularly. We've been watching it together either at his place or mine for the last four years. I've had a growing respect for the WWE and their efforts to show their support, and going overseas to put on live events for the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Chris Benoit was one of my favourite wrestlers. I had actually ordered the pay-per-view on Sunday, but the rain blocked out my ExpressVu reception for 50 minutes, and I missed the match he was supposed to be in. I didn't realize anything had happened until I turned on the TV to watch RAW last night.

I am shocked, stunned, and admittedly a little horrified by what has happened. :bawl:

R.I.P. Chris Benoit, 1967-2007
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Leading theory so far is that it was a case of "roid rage".

Fuxin' roids. Blah.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

:? Murder never makes sense but I'm completely baffled here. This just doesn't make sense. I am NO longer a wrestling fan but this guy (Benoit) was one of the guys I did respect.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

news1130.com wrote: Delta woman says wrestler Chris Benoit had a son with Fragile X syndrome

Tuesday, June 26 - 06:28:36 PM Katharine Kitts

DELTA (NEWS1130) - We may never know the reasons behind Chris Benoit's decision to take the life of his wife, young son and himself. However, a Delta woman, who was in contact with the Canadian wrestler a few years ago, said she might have some insight into the family. Pam Winthrope said Benoit's son had a genetic condition called Fragile X syndrome. Winthrope said she has experienced the condition first hand and knows how it can tear a family apart.

Fragile X syndrome is an inherited mental impairment. Pam's 12-year-old son has the condition and she said in an effort to shed light on the syndrome, her husband called Chris Benoit about five years ago.

She said, "We talked to him because I was trying to set up a support group in BC and in Canada, we only have a couple of them. My husband was struggling when we got diagnosed with our son, and Chris was struggling with his. They talked for a few minutes and then he said he didn't want to be a public face for Fragile X, he just wanted to keep it really, really quiet."

Winthrope said she couldn't believe the news that Benoit had taken his life along with his wife and 7-year-old son. She added that families can be torn apart by the disease because it's very difficult to find help and support. She said, "You as a parent have to go out there and find what's available and it's not easy --they don't tell you."

Authorities offered no motive for the killings, which were spread out over a weekend, and would not discuss Benoit’s state of mind.
randymeeks
Legend

So what is Fragile X syndrome, anyway? Never heard of it.
"I have social skills, jackass!"
-Malcolm (Malcolm In The Middle)
Soundy
Hall of Famer

randymeeks wrote:So what is Fragile X syndrome, anyway? Never heard of it.
More info here...
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

According to Atlanta Police.

Chris Benoit's wife was strangled sometime Friday evening, his son was killed Saturday morning and that he hung himself later the same day. Apparently, he sent a series of text messages sometime early Saturday morning detailing certain things like where the dogs would be, that one of the garage doors would be unlocked. Taking care of business kinds of stuff.

It is a very terrible thing. When watching the RAW Tribute last night, I was worried that this might be the case. I couldn't help thinking that the tribute was going to be especially difficult for friends and family of Chris Benoit's wife if it turned out that he was responsible. He was one of my favourite wrestlers and definitely one the most talented individuals to ever pro wrestle. I feel bad for him but even worse for his wife, son and two remaining children. Instead of being remembered as a great wrestler, he will always now be remembered as the wrestler that murdered his family. It is a shame all round.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:
More info here...
lol
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:
More info here...
Fragile X is a family of genetic conditions, which can impact individuals and families in various ways. These genetic conditions are related in that they are all caused by gene changes in the same gene, called the FMR1 gene.

Fragile X includes:

fragile X syndrome (FXS), the most common cause of inherited mental impairment. This impairment can range from learning disabilities to more severe cognitive or intellectual disabilities. (Sometimes referred to as mental retardation.) FXS is the most common known cause of autism or "autistic-like" behaviors. Symptoms also can include characteristic physical and behavioral features and delays in speech and language development.

http://www.fragilex.org/html/what.htm
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

WWE is a carnival, a circus, vaudeville

WWE is hype, violence, sexual exploitation, dishonesty, bull sheeit, bad role-modeling and a bunch of other things I can't even think of.

And I am ashamed to say that I watch it occasionally.

It is very compelling. It pushes primitive buttons in people. It doesn't matter that people now know that it is not a "competitive sport" with an unknown outcome. It does not matter that people know that the storylines are a fiction acted out.

The worst part about it is what it encourages in young people. It is a problem and censorship or legislation is not the answer.

Would Chris Benoit have ended up like this without WWE in his life? Who knows. But it is a wakeup call for us to look at all the issues involved.