US Open - Richard Lee, 16 year old Canadian....

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Just noticed that this young guy from Vancouver is through 5 holes and tops the amateur leader at plus 1 and sits tied for 16 - long way to go but I sure hope this young doesn't wake up and realize where he is!!!

This just in: he is +2 after 6 holes.

Terrific story - Richard Lee.

http://www.usopen.com/scoring/uni/toplb.htm

http://www.usopen.com/scoring/uni/amateur.htm
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

It would be an unbelievable story if he makes the cut. :cr:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:It would be an unbelievable story if he makes the cut. :cr:
He made the cut at 9 over par 79. Tied Sergio Garcia so not all the big boys were in the lead.

I am surprised like the announcers said that he is turning pro next week. Like they said, they can't see the need to rush this.

He is pretty calm, cool and collected and if blew up on that course instead of doing what he did, you'd not fault. Just qualifying for the US Open is an achievement to be proud of at his age.

http://www.usopen.com/scoring/uni/card/152.htm

Check out his score card for today.
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

He made the cut at 9 over par 79. Tied Sergio Garcia so not all the big boys were in the lead.
He is a stretch to make the cut. The cut doesnt happen until after 36 holes are played with the top half of the field plus ties moving onto the weekend. The cut will be some where around 8 or 9 over, so he would have to shoot lights out tommorrow to make it. Either way its a pretty impressive showing for the kid.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Yank In BC wrote:
He is a stretch to make the cut. The cut doesnt happen until after 36 holes are played with the top half of the field plus ties moving onto the weekend. The cut will be some where around 8 or 9 over, so he would have to shoot lights out tommorrow to make it. Either way its a pretty impressive showing for the kid.
Thanks for clarifying that. I tried to find something on it but couldn't so just posted that after they put up the second round pairings for Friday. I guess it makes sense to do it that way given the Thursday start. You are right though. To catch up means shooting the lights out and they say the course will be tougher tomorrow given pin placements. Did I hear it right that the young guy hit his second shot over the green on a 600 yard hole?