in final tune up game..Bonds belt's two HR's...

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Black99GT

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2821655

on his only two at bat...

looks like he may have a big season, who knows?
Tighthead
Legend

Despite the fact that he is a cheat and a loathesome individual, I am rooting for Bonds. For years, baseball not only turned a blind eye to steroid use, but revelled in the longball explosion and the Sosa-McGwire battle. "As ye sow, so shall ye reap".

I would also note that many journalists who rooted McGwire on have since turned on him in the HoF voting. Where were their principles then?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

He is one of the most obnoxious, high priced, whining and egotistical athlete I've heard or seen.
Tighthead
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:He is one of the most obnoxious, high priced, whining and egotistical athlete I've heard or seen.
He is, and the funny thing is, he just doesn't care. All the stories about how he doesn't talk to teammates, has his own section of the locker room, only cares about stats - he has never denied them. He is uniquely shameless.
smphantom
Legend

An oldie but a goodie:

Stay thirsty my friends.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

That sums it all up !
Dan Russell
Legend

smphantom wrote:An oldie but a goodie:

So true.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

The Ford Frick-inspired asterisks -- in place of dots near the end of the banner and also held by some other individual fans -- are a nice touch.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Home runs are an overrated stat in baseball. Hank Aaron was never regarded as the best player in baseball history, so all Baroid is doing is putting an exclamation mark on what a deceptive stat it can be.

Just take a look at the all time home run leader list -- scattered amongst the true greats are one dimensional players with poor defensive skills and lousy on-base percentages. The fans and media love the long ball, but guys like Billy Beane, GM of the Oakland A's and the inspiration for the "Moneyball" book, know that on-base percentage is a far greater measurement of a player's worth to a team. Sometimes a great home run hitter has a great on base percentage, but it is just as likely that he leads the team in strikeouts and also tends to hit a lot of long, loud outs in the form of fly balls.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Rammer
Team Captain

Lionut wrote:Home runs are an overrated stat in baseball. Hank Aaron was never regarded as the best player in baseball history, so all Baroid is doing is putting an exclamation mark on what a deceptive stat it can be.

Just take a look at the all time home run leader list -- scattered amongst the true greats are one dimensional players with poor defensive skills and lousy on-base percentages. The fans and media love the long ball, but guys like Billy Beane, GM of the Oakland A's and the inspiration for the "Moneyball" book, know that on-base percentage is a far greater measurement of a player's worth to a team. Sometimes a great home run hitter has a great on base percentage, but it is just as likely that he leads the team in strikeouts and also tends to hit a lot of long, loud outs in the form of fly balls.
Bonds has an amazing on base rate for a long ball hitter, as he is generally walked instead of allowed to launch a ball into orbit. Just saying, as his route to get to this point is not my cup of tea.

While steroids don't make an athlete, as you can tell Bonds has taken advantage of what they can do to a very good athlete. He rarely misses a pitch that is down the middle, and the steroids only help to send that ball further.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Rammer, you are quite right in that in his most recent "prime" of 2000-2004, i.e. since he started taking massive doses of HGH late in his career, Bonds was amongst the on base percentage leaders for a number of years. His numbers fell off a cliff, of course, in 2005 and 2006, as injuries took their toll.

Of course, the bigger he got, the more of a defensive liability he became. Bonds used to be a good defensive player, notwithstanding that sad dribbler of a throw to the plate that allowed a one-legged Sid Bream to score from 2nd in the '91 playoffs. :twisted: Lately, however, the Giants cringe everytime this guy goes into the field, as he makes Jose Canseco look like Roberto Alomar. If a guy can't play defense, he can't help you much unless you are in the American League and you can DH him.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Black99GT

just for the record i should have also noted that i am not a barry bonds fan.
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

Bonds is getting closer :bang: what a shame.
Bighill is Badass