CKNW - Lions ask Carl Kidd to retire

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BEEECEEE
All Star

Blitz wrote:Carl Kidd has been my favorite Leo for years. The only letter I have ever written the Leos involved asking then to resign Carl Kidd after he went south for an NFL tryout. I thought Carl had slowed down in 2005, wasn't playing with his old passion, and believed he had lost a step. Carl was also unhappy last season.

Carl didn't start off this season looking good and I wondered if the Leos should have signed him for the 2006 season, outside of his special teams play. However, from Game 6 on this year Carl Kidd proved his detractors wrong, including myself. He not only was his usual terror on special teams but his linebacker play for the rest of the season was excellent. The team asked Carl to be the speaker at their team dinner, they wanted him introduced last at the Grey Cup game...both reflected the respect of his teammates.

Jamal Johnson is a talent and the Leos have to continue to get younger in order to stay on top. However the Leos have also always carried an extra import linebacker who didn't start. I hoped, on one hand that Carl could play another season as a special teamer and backup linebacer. It will be so hard to say goodbye to him because he's been the heart and soul of our defense for a long time and he bleeds orange and black. No Leo player has also made me laugh like Carl...he's so witty and so upbeat and tough as nails.

At the same time, we have some Canadian linebackers who need to develop and we have to get Jamal playing. It's a tough situation and one that I feel very torn about. Whatever happens Carl Kidd has been a special Leo and watching him play most of his time with the Leos has been a treat!

Same here! Carl kidd has been the ultimate Lion in my books. If he does go, I hope the lions retire is number as soon as possible and I will be the first to by a ticket to that game.
Formely sfu_guy
jim604
All Star

Im hoping that Carl will show up in training camp in such great shape Wally has no choice but to make an offer. One more year of ST and backup role/ team leader.

:helmet:
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

I wear his jersey for every Lions game, and I always will. He's proved that he can still play at least one more season and Wally Buono needs to realize that.

Simply put, we need him back in 2007.
kidder
Rookie

I couldn't agree more, he's my all time favorite, and I was REALLY hopeing we could get at least one more year out of him. If Carl say's he isn't ready, ............... He isn't ready !. I don't think I could handle seeing him in anything other than Lion's Orange. And when it is time, I hope they retire his number also. For what it's worth, I too will be writeing the Lion's for the first time ............
From the factory that made the machines ................
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

What the hell is Wally's problem?
David
Team Captain

ThreeTimesOneMinusOne wrote:What the hell is Wally's problem?
Too many linebackers.

I'm not trying to be facecious here. It's true. Somehow he has to find playing time for Jamall Johnson and work up-and-coming Canadian rookie Jay Pottinger into the line-up for something more than just special teams duties. And he still has to decide whether to bring George White back.

Carl is the ultimate warrior. I hope he retires a Lion as it would pain me to see him in another uniform for the sake of squeezing out one more season. I would like to see the club honour the services of one of the all-time most popular Leos with a "Carl Kidd Night" at BC Place.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne wrote:What the hell is Wally's problem?
Too many linebackers.

I'm not trying to be facecious here. It's true. Somehow he has to find playing time for Jamall Johnson and work up-and-coming Canadian rookie Jay Pottinger into the line-up for something more than just special teams duties. And he still has to decide whether to bring George White back.

Carl is the ultimate warrior. I hope he retires a Lion as it would pain me to see him in another uniform for the sake of squeezing out one more season. I would like to see the club honour the services of one of the all-time most popular Leos with a "Carl Kidd Night" at BC Place.

DH 8)
Tough to ask a guy to retire when he knows in his heart that he has more to give. I doubt that he does retire, nor should he, IMHO. I as well won't enjoy seeing him in another uniform, but I will respect him for continuing to play the game with passion.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well put Blitz. Agree with everything you said.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Tough to ask a guy to retire when he knows in his heart that he has more to give. I doubt that he does retire, nor should he, IMHO.
Let's ask Allen Pitts for a second opinion, shall we? At least this time, Wally is trying to do the right thing considering that experience.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I'm sure if Carl was willing to re-sign for 70K-75K a year it could get done.
I know he took a pay cut on his last deal to around the 90-100 K range.

Problem is Wally just extended 8 players and probably has no more room for another upper salary with Johnson, Williams, Miles, Floyd and Glatt tagged as his high price talent on defence.

Can almost guarantee Kidd's 2006 salary was taken out of the equation when he reached those new deals.
smphantom
Legend

Damn shame for CK and his fans. :bang:
Come on Wally, give Carl one more year!
Stay thirsty my friends.
Shelion
Champion

smphantom wrote:Damn shame for CK and his fans. :bang:
Come on Wally, give Carl one more year!
I Agree!!
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

In these situations I usually trust that Wally is doing what is best for the team, even if I have a hard time agreeing with his moves on an emotional level. But this time around I think Wally should err on the side of team chemistry and give CK one more season.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
Tough to ask a guy to retire when he knows in his heart that he has more to give. I doubt that he does retire, nor should he, IMHO.
Let's ask Allen Pitts for a second opinion, shall we? At least this time, Wally is trying to do the right thing considering that experience.
Yeah....Wally's stuck behind that same 8ball that he was stuck with Eric Carter, Bo Lewis, Pitts, etc........

They were all very unpopular moves, as fans tend to remember the glory.......but invariably, he was proven to be correct in all those moves.

We all witnessed a drop off in CK's play in 2005, followed by a bit of a resurgence, most likely due to less playing time in 2006........he's got his championship ring and Wally's generously offered to give him the grand sendoff.

Honestly........would you prefer to see him go out now, in full glory?......or try to hang around until it's obvious he's not the CK of old...and the team finally cuts him?
Lloyd
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

Lots of great points made by everybody, I agree Wally is looking to the future but with the way Carl played this season, isn't there any way we can play him next year in a limited role.
I believe that's the way they played him this year.
It's nice to go out on top but boy, I think Carl can play like he did this year next year.
Sure hope we haven't seen the last of you Carl, sign for a few less bucks and stay a Lion :roar: :rockin:
Bighill is Badass