Grading the Ottawa Dispersal Draft by Team

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Ullrich had a good breakdown of how the teams have faired to this point of the season on the Ottawa dispersal draft by each team....

It's worth looking at the impact Ottawa's former players have had on the CFL this year. If the CFL elects to give Ottawa what it handed over when the franchise was suspended, few clubs should have to worry about forming a protected list. A closer look:

B.C. Lions -- With the sixth overall pick, the Lions were able to strengthen an area which already was solid, plus make a special teams addition.

Korey Banks was a solid Ottawa contributor and is doing the same with the Lions. Canadian Matt Kirk helps on special teams and is seen as a defensive line prospect. But the Lions' other picks were busts. K Sandro Sciortino, taken after the club had already signed Paul McCallum, was a mystery pick. Impact grading: B.

Calgary Stampeders -- Got two players, WR Markus Howell and DB Crance Clemons, who helped, and had a third in North Delta ST Cam Yeow, who was injured early in the season. Impact grading: B-.

Edmonton Eskimos -- Having won a Grey Cup, the Esks went for the futures market, securing the rights to NFL players such as Israel Idonije and Shaun Suisham. Edmonton hoped for a revival by WR Pat Woodcock, but it so far hasn't materialized. DE Anthony Collier was cut. Impact grading: C+.

Saskatchewan Roughriders -- How could they lose? Once the Riders determined they couldn't resign Corey Holmes, they traded him for the first overall selection to Hamilton to grab the pivot they needed in Kerry Joseph.

WR Jason Armstead followed, along with Canadian FB Cory Hathaway. Lo and behold if ex-Ottawa general manager Eric Tillman followed the pair, after ex-Ottawa offensive coordinator Tommy Condell joined the Riders earlier. Saskatchewan won't be giving any of them back. Impact grading: A

Winnipeg Blue Bombers -- Looking for quarterback and offensive line help, the Bombers took pivot Brad Banks, OL Val St. Germain and SFU grad Obby Khan. Only Khan and St. Germain have helped, although ex-Lions DT Cameron Legault is a serviceable player. Impact grading: B-.

Toronto Argonauts -- Another ex-Lions DT, Marc Pilon, didn't last long, but GM Adam Rita secured a personal favourite with potential in WR David Azzi, along with RB Sean Bennett, who could blossom. Impact grading: C+.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats -- And you wonder why they are a 2-10 team. P Pat Fleming is marginal at best. FB Gilles Lezi and ST Greg Bearman are on other teams. Holmes, obtained from the Riders for Joseph, has been miscast all year. Impact grading: C-.

Montreal Alouettes -- The only team that stuck in for all eight draft rounds, but came away with only one player that has helped, DE Kai Ellis. Impact grading: B-.
Entertainment value = an all time low
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Once the Riders determined they couldn't resign Corey Holmes,
first I heard of that being a factor?

And hamilton fans up to last week were claiming Corey still wanted to be a rider.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rammer
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:
Once the Riders determined they couldn't resign Corey Holmes,
first I heard of that being a factor?

And hamilton fans up to last week were claiming Corey still wanted to be a rider.
He still may be, but with Roy out of the way it may become easier if DB is retained.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Did you forget that the Bombers also added Kyries Herbert and Donnavan Carter. Not drafted but ultimately as a result of the dispersal.

So we added 3 NI starters and an import starter but deserve a B - while the Lions add 1 starter and rate a B?

I doubt that the Bombers would trade those 4 for Banks. Even in Ottawa Herbert was a bigger impact player than Banks ( although Banks is very good ).

Your assessment is bias but OTOH, does it really matter.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

I agree with Blue in BC, in that the biggest benefactors of Ottawa's demise would have to be the Blue Bombers. Hebert was likely not drafted because of his contract, and his stated desire to play in the NFL.

Got to rate Winnipeg as a B+, top of the heap.
Rammer
Team Captain

Blue In BC wrote:Did you forget that the Bombers also added Kyries Herbert and Donnavan Carter. Not drafted but ultimately as a result of the dispersal.

So we added 3 NI starters and an import starter but deserve a B - while the Lions add 1 starter and rate a B?

I doubt that the Bombers would trade those 4 for Banks. Even in Ottawa Herbert was a bigger impact player than Banks ( although Banks is very good ).

Are you calling me out on Ullrich's article for being bias? lol
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:Did you forget that the Bombers also added Kyries Herbert and Donnavan Carter. Not drafted but ultimately as a result of the dispersal.

When you quote it without comment, that an indication of agreement.

So yes, I am calling you out.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Not sure what the big deal is Dale, the article was concerning the dispersal draft itself, not the signing of free agents later if I understand it correctly. Also judging by the fact the Hebert signing was a bit of a circus, has it really had an impact? In fact since he joined the team he's been playing for the whole losing streak no?

I can't remember when he first suited up. But is seems the defense that strated so strongly without him as dipped with him.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Rammer
Team Captain

Blue In BC wrote:
Rammer wrote:

When you quote it without comment, that an indication of agreement.

So yes, I am calling you out.
What? I can't post an article without it being my views? I did lead in that it was Ullrich's article. Sorry, I just thought it was nice that a writer finally addressed most of the e-Renegade players season. To tell you the truth, I think that the BC grading is high, but I didn't bother to view it all.

As for the Herbert signing, that does not fall into dispersal day draft and is what he is assessing.

Note - the above comments are the sole view of this poster, no outside views or sources were given that are beyond my control, so I will accept 100% responsibility for them. :)
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

OrangeShoes99 wrote:Not sure what the big deal is Dale, the article was concerning the dispersal draft itself, not the signing of free agents later if I understand it correctly. Also judging by the fact the Hebert signing was a bit of a circus, has it really had an impact? In fact since he joined the team he's been playing for the whole losing streak no?

I can't remember when he first suited up. But is seems the defense that strated so strongly without him as dipped with him.
Not that big a deal. I even said in the first response that it didn't really matter.

I'd say Herbert has made an impact, but at the same time he started we lost Goodspeed & Sheridan on the OL. Stegall and Glenn missed 3 games. We've had rotating doors at receiver and the secondary because of a multitude of other injuries.
Rammer
Team Captain

Blue In BC wrote:
OrangeShoes99 wrote:Not sure what the big deal is Dale, the article was concerning the dispersal draft itself, not the signing of free agents later if I understand it correctly. Also judging by the fact the Hebert signing was a bit of a circus, has it really had an impact? In fact since he joined the team he's been playing for the whole losing streak no?

Not that big a deal. I even said in the first response that it didn't really matter.

I'd say Herbert has made an impact, but at the same time he started we lost Goodspeed & Sheridan on the OL. Stegall and Glenn missed 3 games. We've had rotating doors at receiver and the secondary because of a multitude of other injuries.
Question for you BiBC, has Ockimey done that badly or is Herbert that much of an addition at safety? I saw Ockimey around the ball all the time, and IR that great run down he had on the Eskimo receiver that saved a TD, huge points at the time of the game.

Just wondering since we thought out loud here that he should have been given the S position in BC rather than be released.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:

Question for you BiBC, has Ockimey done that badly or is Herbert that much of an addition at safety? I saw Ockimey around the ball all the time, and IR that great run down he had on the Eskimo receiver that saved a TD, huge points at the time of the game.

Just wondering since we thought out loud here that he should have been given the S position in BC rather than be released.
I thought Ockimey played well at safety and the timing was ironic that we started losing when Herbert took his spot.

I'd say it had more to do with Herbert having more starting experience than Ockimey.

It's all about the ratio this week as Herbert replaces Carter at OLB but Gallant starts at safety. Otherwise, I don't think Ock would have been off the field to begin with.

Eric Wilson ( import ) returns from the NFL and that forces two other moves on the OL.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Saskatchewan Roughriders -- How could they lose? Once the Riders determined they couldn't resign Corey Holmes, they traded him for the first overall selection to Hamilton to grab the pivot they needed in Kerry Joseph.
Now two full seasons later, one can say that Saskatchewan trading import running back Corey Holmes, non-import safety Scott Gordon and the Roughriders' first-round pick in the 2007 Canadian college draft to Hamilton for the first overall pick in the dispersal draft could very well be the best trade the Roughriders have made in their team history.
Jer Bear
Rookie

Could very well be. Essentially Hamilton got absolutely nothing out of this trade. We got Joseph at the time and now we have both Gordon and Holmes back. Poor Ti-Cats haha
Big Time
Champion

I think you are being a bit harsh on the Ticats. They had just completed a trade of Troy Davis for Jason Maas so their biggest need was not at QB. Hindsight is always 20/20 but while Joseph was decent in Ottawa, Maas had won two Grey Cups and was a huge part of the 2005 miracle run by the Esks. I'm no Maas fan by any stretch - he's far too emotional to be anything other than a spark plug IMO - but the Ticats reasonably thought Maas would be their starter for years to come and didn't want to waste their pick on Joseph. Maas has since imploded and Joseph has turned into a decent starter.