Year of the Goat

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

For those of you who already miss the Christmas and New Year celebrations, fortunately in the city of Vancouver with its large ethnic Chinese population, there is always an encore celebration in late January and early February in the form of the Chinese New Year. This year, it will be on Sunday, January 29, 2006.

This year will be the Year of the Dog. You were born under the Year of the Dog if you were born in these years: 1922, 1934, 1946, 1958, 1970, 1982, 1994, and 2006.

People born in the Year of the Dog possess the best traits of human nature. They have a deep sense of loyalty, are honest, and inspire other people's confidence because they know how to keep secrets. But Dog People are somewhat selfish, terribly stubborn, and eccentric. They care little for wealth, yet somehow always seem to have money. They can be cold emotionally and sometimes distant at parties. They can find fault with many things and are noted for their sharp tongues. Dog people make good leaders. They are compatible with those born in the Years of the Horse, Tiger, and Rabbit.

Wishing the Lionbackers and the BC Lions a successful Year of the Dog!
Last edited by Robbie on Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Yes, Happy New Year to all.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Happy Chinese new year!

I was born in the year of the dog!!! :rockin:
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
CB123
Legend

I donno how to spell it! But.... Gung Hay Fat Choi!!!!!!

lol I no, I no, that was pathetic... but I had to...
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

CB123 wrote:I donno how to spell it! But.... Gung Hay Fat Choi!!!!!!
Well, there isn't really a correct way to spell anglicized Chinese terms, as long as it sounds the same. So yes, your spelling is essentially the correct Cantonese pronunciation of 恭喜發財.

The Mandarin Chinese pronunciation is something like "Gong Shi Fah Cai". For those of you who don't know, that term means "Congratulations and be prosperous."
CB123
Legend

For those of you who don't know, that term means "Congratulations and be prosperous."
oh yeah, I knew that... :roll: lol
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
Docbeer
Legend

I was born in the year of the dog too...it's worked out well for me - being emotionally cold keeps my beer from getting warm... :beer: Congratulations and be prosperous...
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"
hexx

born in '82 - that description is pretty close too.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Not only should China be very happy because of the Chinese New Year right now, but they should also be very proud of their tennis players - Yan Zi and Zheng Jie became the first Chinese players to win a Grand Slam title. True, Michael Chang won the French Open in 1989, but he was a Chinese-American who played for America.

[img]http://www.australianopen.com/images/pi ... 127_03.jpg[/img][img]http://www.australianopen.com/images/pi ... 127_06.jpg[/img]

----------------------------------------------------------------
Yan and Zheng win Australian Open women's doubles

By JOHN BROCK, Associated Press Writer
January 27, 2006

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) -- Yan Zi and Zheng Jie became the first Chinese players to win a Grand Slam title, beating Lisa Raymond and Samantha Stosur 2-6, 7-6 (7), 6-3 in the Australian Open women's doubles final Friday.

Yan and Zheng trailed 3-1 in the second set and staved off two match points in the tiebreaker before winning in 2 hours, 15 minutes.

"We're very excited to win the tournament," Yan told the center-court crowd that included a small group of vocal Chinese supporters waving the country's national flag.

"They gave us a great match today," Yan added.

Yan and Zheng also saved three match points in their quarterfinal victory over fourth-seeded Virginia Ruano Pascual and Paola Suarez.

Their victory follows the win by compatriots Sun Tiantian and Li Ting in the doubles final at the Athens Olympics in 2004. Sun and Li were beaten in the third round here by Raymond and Stosur.

Yan, who has played with Zheng for five years, said they had been nervous in the first set before settling into a rhythm.

"It's our first time on center court, it's so big, so many people" she said.

The top seeds appeared on course for a second straight Grand Slam -- they won the U.S. Open title last September -- when they raced through the first set and gained a break in the second set.

But Yan and Zheng refused to buckle. They broke Australian Stosur's serve in the sixth game with some stinging volleying to level the second set.

Raymond and Stosur gained the advantage by breaking for a 6-5 lead, but with Raymond then serving for the match, a missed overhead by Stosur gave the Chinese duo two break points of their own.

Though they missed the first, they got the second when Stosur put a backhand into the net.

In the next tiebreaker, Stosur earned a match point at 6-5 with an ace, but then put another backhand into the net. A second match point at 7-6 on Raymond's serve also was saved before Zheng closed out the set with a backhand winner.

The Chinese pair broke Raymond's serve twice in the final set and took the title when a Stosur forehand hit the net.

"Once they got a sniff, they didn't let it go," Stosur said.

Yan and Zheng won their first WTA Tour doubles titles last year in Hobart, Australia and Hyderabad, India and were finalists in Bali and Beijing.

"Since the end of the match my mobile phone has been ringing nonstop," Zheng said. "This title is one of the best gifts we can give to the Chinese people."
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

And rememeber also that it's not always the year that you were born that gives you your "sign". Both my dad and SM were born in February, but their signs are different from the actual year they were born, because of the date that the New Year fell on. I was born in May, so I'm safe! :rockin:
Real women wear orange!!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

CatsEyes wrote:And rememeber also that it's not always the year that you were born that gives you your "sign". Both my dad and SM were born in February, but their signs are different from the actual year they were born, because of the date that the New Year fell on.
That's right. The Lunar New Year can begin anytime from late January to mid-February.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

From today's Vancouver Province.

---------------------------------------
Dog is god in 2006

David Lam, Special to The Province
Published: Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Dog chases away the previous master of the domain, the Rooster, as today marks the beginning of the Chinese lunar Year of the Dog, 4704.

Chinese astrologers predict that the upcoming year will be a complicated ebb and flow of yin and yang, a time of great healing potential but also a period of dire consequences if warning signs of trouble are not handled with intelligence and attention to digging up the root of the problem.

The Chinese calendar, also known as the Farmer's Calendar, contains everything you need to know about time and the impact of events upon human endeavours. What happens during the year, month, day and hour are determined by the confluence of five basic elements --metal, water, wood, fire and earth -- which Chinese astrologers believed to be the basic components of everything in the Universe. The relationships amongst these elements predicts what lies ahead. The Year of the Dog 2006 is an auspicious Fire year symbolized by two of these elements, fire sitting on top of earth. According to the calendar cycle of birth and destruction which governs the inter-relationship between the elements, fire gives birth to earth. Therefore the position of fire relative to earth is a sign of upcoming support and harmony that may bring a relatively more peaceful year with less international conflicts than in recent memory.

The previous Fire Dog Year was 1946. It was shortly after the end of the Second World War, when countries focused on recovery, rebuilding, and establishing a new world balance. The United Nations had its first meeting in 1946. The decision was made to veto the use of nuclear weapons in conflict. While the UN hasn't fully realized its promise, it has been a counterweight to disruptive forces. Since the devastating events of 1945 in Japan, no atomic bombs have been dropped in battle.

So coming full circle in 2006, our wake-up call is ringing loud and clear. We can anticipate more co-operation among countries with genuine efforts to improving the state of the world. It is highly probable a greater sense of tolerance will come into play during 2006, especially in the field of environmental issues and religious affairs.

This Dog year is a time of optimism, warmth, civility, insight, communication and inspiration. Because the Dog is the most likeable, honest and candid of all the zodiac animals, it ushers justice and fairplay back to human affairs, qualities that have been pummelled into submission in recent years.

Heads of state, religious leaders, environmentalists and human rights advocates could reach compromises on issues that affect us all. Settlements leading to a more harmonious atmosphere are possible. Chances appear good for more international collaboration in solving hunger, poverty, homelessness, disease, global warming, supplies of fresh water, and air pollution.

There are also spiritual and religious implications in 2006. People will look for deeper meaning in their lives and seek true enlightenment in less dogmatic interpretations of their religious faiths.

All this seems like an insurmountable list of tasks but by following the Dog's lead, mankind could find a way out of the mess we are in. The Year of the Dog is distinguished by acts of charity. But be aware that small unresolved differences left to fester may lead to thorny, intractable combat. Because of the Dog's characteristic nature of wanting to help, we can find peaceful resolution -- if we are willing to view things from other perspectives and seek middle ground.

This is also a time to focus on the importance of home and family while ridding ourselves of unnecessary attachments, shifting from materialism to honest self-reflection. In other words, ask yourself these two questions: What really counts, and what do you really want to accomplish with the brief lit candle called your life?

The Dog year favours certain aspects of the economy. Those industries related in some way to the Fire element could do very well. The year could get off to a fast start for financial and energy sectors, entertainment, airlines and travel, and the stock market. This momentum could carry into summer. But Fire is tricky and financial markets could suffer a downturn in early autumn. There's one word for concerned, prudent investors: diversify.

Other industries that will do well are associated with the Wood element. Research companies involved in fashion, textiles, books, publications, forestry, paper and furniture. Those who are smart with their money could see strong returns.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Well, there isn't really a correct way to spell anglicized Chinese terms, as long as it sounds the same. So yes, your spelling is essentially the correct Cantonese pronunciation of 恭喜發財.

The Mandarin Chinese pronunciation is something like "Gong Shi Fah Cai". For those of you who don't know, that term means "Congratulations and be prosperous."
Is my memory slipping?........IIRC, in Mandarin it's Xin Nian Kui Le.
Lloyd
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Robbie wrote:

Is my memory slipping?........IIRC, in Mandarin it's Xin Nian Kui Le.
Xin Nian Kui Le is Happy New Year. But Gong Shi Fah Cai is a phrase that one says during the New Year to wish others well. It's sort of analogous to saying Season's Greetings in place of Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.