Lions Marketing Thread

From time to time there are some threads worthy of keeping .... they go in here .. as do past Felion Prowl Photo Shoots :)

Moderator: Team Captains

OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

I thought it might be cool to start a "Marketing" thread in the forum. There are a lot of smart people around here who have some really awesome and viable ideas on how the Lions could market themselves better and sell tickets.

Maybe, the powers that be will take some of these ideas from dihard fans to heart and we'll see an improvement in some of the things we find frustrating as fans.

If this becomes popular we could maybe have a separate forum for it.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Here's one....Have the Lion's approached the Canucks about possibly getting Canucks season ticket holders into the building? Tap some of the families that are looking to replace hockey? Offer some sort of package for current Canucks ST holder currently effected by the lockout. If they're sports fans they'll comeback.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
omega2000

OrangeShoes99 wrote:I thought it might be cool to start a "Marketing" thread in the forum. There are a lot of smart people around here who have some really awesome and viable ideas on how the Lions could market themselves better and sell tickets.

Maybe, the powers that be will take some of these ideas from dihard fans to heart and we'll see an improvement in some of the things we find frustrating as fans.

If this becomes popular we could maybe have a separate forum for it.
Excellent idea... I'll contribute if I have any "great" ideas
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Take those street bands inside to pump up the crowd. BB out
Wear orange or wear nothing
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I?ll tell you what I think has been a big marketing problem for the Lions. It?s the fact that they no longer have good themes and marketing campaigns prior to the start of each season. I remember very well that throughout the 80?s and early 90?s, the Lions would create a special theme for their advertising campaigns. And these campaigns would often take the form of TV commercials that would run on the local stations before the season started in June and continue throughout the start of the season and into August. I still remember the Lions? campaign themes in a lot of those seasons:

1984: Going for more.
1987: Excitement ?87.
1988: We Mean Business (featuring the tune ?We Mean Business, we?re not fooling around!").
1989: Good Time Football, Vancouver?s Lionhearted again (featuring some players giving out a synthesized and amplified ?ROAR?).
1990: Team Up with BC?s team. BC Lions Fast Break Football.
1991: Power! (featuring that chant and tune ?LIONS?.oh uh oh oh?.POWER!?).
1992: Thunder and Lightning (?We?ll provide the lightning and you provide the thunder.?).
1993: Roaring Back.
1994: 40 Years of Pride.
1999: Come back to football.

For the last several seasons, I haven?t seen any good Lions campaign themes like these.
Last edited by Robbie on Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

For the last several seasons, I haven?t seen any good Lions campaign themes like these.
You must not own a TV then. I have seen dozens off ads on TV this year. about 3-4 different commercials (Jalapeno guy/Vending machine/checkout counter lady). Now it would be nice if they featured players but that was discussed to death in another thread.

Last years theme "You belong in the stands" had some good ads as does this year.
LFITQ
Team Captain

There was also another year (sometime between 97 and 2001) where the theme was "Bringing it to the fans"

2003 - You belong in the stands
2004 - Cheering works
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
omega2000

Ballistic Bob wrote:Take those street bands inside to pump up the crowd. BB out
I agree with BB... I was at Qwest Field for a Seahawks game recently. They have this drum corps called "Blue Thunder" or something like that... pumped a lot of energy into there and it was pretty cool... besides bands and things like that seem to go hand in hand with football, so why not use them?
footy
All Star

I agree about having a band or musicians go into each section and play a couple of tunes to get the fans pumped !
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

I agree with BB... I was at Qwest Field for a Seahawks game recently. They have this drum corps called "Blue Thunder"
I was there too, Blue Thunder ROCKED....
Docbeer
Legend

I sent the Lions a message with a link to the Seahawks/Blue Thunder article asking them to consider bringing them up for the 30th or WDF...how cool would that be - having a drum corps hype you up as you're entering the stadium...http://www.seahawks.com/ardisplay
Any other fans of the movie Drumline...
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

As I said these guys (Blue Thunder) are awesome, and they really get the crowd pumpoed during stopages. Particularily beofre big defensive stands.

As docbeer said they also perform outside the stadium as you walk in and it is very impressive and really ads to the atmosphere.

I sent Ackles an e-mail about the 12thman thing they do down there as well, where the Seahawks have retired the number 12 in honour of the fans and they have a dignitary raise the 12thman flag before each game. They also sell #12 jersies, with "FAN" on the back. pretty cool.

Of course up here we all know it would be the number 13 and the 13thman.
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

I sent the Lions a message with a link to the Seahawks/Blue Thunder article asking them to consider bringing them up for the 30th or WDF
Both dates would work, but the Hawks play at home on the 31st.

There has to be a drumline etc somewhere in town that would do it, then start their own next year. relitivaly cheap i imagine. Good resume thing for HS/College age drummers.
omega2000

OrangeShoes99 wrote:As I said these guys (Blue Thunder) are awesome, and they really get the crowd pumpoed during stopages. Particularily beofre big defensive stands.

As docbeer said they also perform outside the stadium as you walk in and it is very impressive and really ads to the atmosphere.

I sent Ackles an e-mail about the 12thman thing they do down there as well, where the Seahawks have retired the number 12 in honour of the fans and they have a dignitary raise the 12thman flag before each game. They also sell #12 jersies, with "FAN" on the back. pretty cool.

Of course up here we all know it would be the number 13 and the 13thman.
Looks like I you and I are on the same page on this one Orangeshoes...I was going to bring this up, but defer! I have always liked the idea of the 'hawks retiring the #12. I also think it's pretty cool how at the beginning of each game they have a local celeb raise the 12th man flag to signal the 12th man is in the house... it always seems to pump the crowd up and makes them feel a part of the game. They certainly know how to put a show on down there so why not see what lessons they can teach us...

picture this... WDF final... Loooooo raising the "13th Man" flag at the dome.... how cool would that be?! You know he'd get a big reception :beer:

As for the #12 jerseys... I prefer mine to say Dickenson... but "Fan" is pretty cool too.

Of course these are ideas... it would be great if they could get the crowd to feel like they're part of the team. If the 13th man became part of the Lions culture maybe they wouldn't need that dude with the microphone to stir the crowd up.
120dB
Legend

What will it take to get 60,000 for the Western Final?