Remembrance Day Petition

From time to time there are some threads worthy of keeping .... they go in here .. as do past Felion Prowl Photo Shoots :)

Moderator: Team Captains

tigger
All Star

To: Government of Canada

Throughout the history of Canada, our Armed Forces have sacrificed life and limb to defend the rights and freedoms of Canadian citizens. In wars past and present, the soldiers of the Canadian Armed Forces have, without hesitation, stepped in to ensure the quality of life we enjoy today. These soldiers do so out of dedication to our country and our values, and are willing to give their lives for this cause.

Remembrance Day is not a national holiday in Canada. The laws governing this day vary from province to province. In Ontario, for instance, Remembrance Day in not a holiday and, as such, students from this province are restricted from attending services by school and adults are restricted by work. Other provinces have different laws.

To allow Canadians to show their appreciation for sacrifices made by our soldiers, and to remember those that gave their lives in defence of our country, we, the people of Canada, ask that the Government of Canada recognize this sacrifice by declaring November 11th, Remembrance Day, a national holiday.

Sincerely,

Remembrance Day Petition

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS BECOME ARGO FANS
MacNews
Team Captain

We already have Remembrance Day as a national holiday:

Shelion
Champion

Signed :beauty:
pinkfreud

Me too (signed).
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Mac, if you read the post, Remembrance Day is Nationaly recognized, but is not a National Holiday. Some provinces simply pause at 11:00 to observe a moment of silence.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

On a related matter, Nov. 11 falls on a Sunday next year -- exactly two weeks before the Grey Cup on Nov. 25 -- and that will likely be the day on which the semifinal playoff games are played. I doubt if the CFL will reschedule to, say, one day before on Saturday -- they didn't reschedule the last time this happened in 2001 -- and it rubs me the wrong way that they don't, considering that this is a league that gets pushed around by Regina's Agribition and the Wiggles.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
tigger
All Star

OrangeShoes99 wrote:Mac, if you read the post, Remembrance Day is Nationaly recognized, but is not a National Holiday. Some provinces simply pause at 11:00 to observe a moment of silence.
:whs:

Thank You
OrangeShoes99

:thup:

MacNews
Team Captain

OrangeShoes99 wrote:Mac, if you read the post, Remembrance Day is Nationaly recognized, but is not a National Holiday. Some provinces simply pause at 11:00 to observe a moment of silence.
Ok thanks Bri, I didn't catch that. Man it's confusing to figure out what is and isn't a stat holiday.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I can't believe that it's not a National Holiday. Guess you learn something new every day
tigger
All Star

Robbie
Hall of Famer

According to Wikipedia:

In Canada Remembrance Day is always observed on 11 November and the day is a holiday for federal government employees. However, for private business, provincial governments, and schools, its status varies by province. In Western and Atlantic Canada it is a general holiday. In Ontario and Quebec, it is not a general holiday, although corporations that are federally registered may make the day a full holiday, or instead designate a provincially-recognized holiday on a different day.
tigger
All Star

Robbie wrote:According to Wikipedia:

In Canada Remembrance Day is always observed on 11 November and the day is a holiday for federal government employees. However, for private business, provincial governments, and schools, its status varies by province. In Western and Atlantic Canada it is a general holiday. In Ontario and Quebec, it is not a general holiday, although corporations that are federally registered may make the day a full holiday, or instead designate a provincially-recognized holiday on a different day.
Not happen in Gods Country :sigh:

CB123
Legend

signed :thup:
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
D
Team Captain

Done :thup: and I to am amazed this isn't already a holiday :thdn:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Docbeer
Legend

Signed - thanks for posting this tigger :thup:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"