The New History Section

Need some help with the site? or Forum?
Ask Here! Got an idea or suggestion for Lionbackers.com, Tell us about it!

Moderator: Team Captains

D
Team Captain

When Lionbackers was launched in January 2000 there was no discussion forum it was based on a good History section and the news of the day.

Something I have long wanted to do is make the History section interactive, the way the history section is now ... it is :beauty: so please take the time to post any photos, experiences, memories you have of the various profiles, seasons past etc.

I and other Lionbackers look forward to sharing your memories of the BC Lions Rich History
I own The Grey Cup! .com
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

That's awesome, D! :thup:
Real women wear orange!!
David
Team Captain

Very cool, D. :beauty:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

A TON of work, for a great History Section.

Thank you, D, simply first class.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

For some reason, I don't have permission to read topics in that forum except the collector's corner.
D
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:For some reason, I don't have permission to read topics in that forum except the collector's corner.
Ooops ... should work now :cr: :oops:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
firstdown45

can someone post pics from the October 1984 game between BC and Winnipeg where we held Willard Reeves to 33 yards
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In the Retired Numbers section, don't forget to include:

#60 Jamie Taras
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
D
Team Captain

Why is his number in use these days?
I own The Grey Cup! .com
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

D wrote:Why is his number in use these days?
I recall hearing around the time JT retired, that the Lions discontinued retiring any further numbers. This is a reasonable policy since with the relatively large roster sizes (as far as team sports go) it would only be a matter of time before our players would have to start wearing three-digit unis with the limited availability of numbers <100. Interesting to note that the lineups of the Habs/Bruins series right now makes it look like a preseason game with so many 40+'s on both rosters; they've both retired a lot of low numbers.

As I understand it, Lions' numbers that might previously have been retired are now "honoured"; they still go up on the walls of BC Place as before, but active players can still wear them. The Toronto Maple Leafs have a similar policy.

Also, I'm pretty sure JT has two numbers so honoured: his familiar #60, and also the #23 that he wore as a fullback in his first three or four years as a Lion.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

there is some odd and interesting history there if you sift through all the early seasons. 16 games for west teams but only 12 for east teams. 2 game total point semi-finals and best of 3 western finals. In 1955 Edmonton had to play Kitchener AFTER winning the western finals to qualify for the Grey Cup! Seasons that started in mid August, yet the Grey Cup was still played the last weekend in November despite a 16 game schedule and 5 playoff games for western teams (I guess they played more than once a week in that era).

I'd love to learn more about the CFL in the 1950s.
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

I have picture with Lui from when I was 2 or so. Think I'll scan that some time.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Hi Derek,

What happened to the all-time roster page?

Can that be restored?

While the new History section allows the forum to be discussed easier, I think it's also good to see a page also to obtain facts instead of having to go into a forum. For example, the all-time roster page as well as the Year-by-Year page was very descriptive, and I hope they can be restored.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
D
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:Hi Derek,

What happened to the all-time roster page?

Can that be restored?

While the new History section allows the forum to be discussed easier, I think it's also good to see a page also to obtain facts instead of having to go into a forum. For example, the all-time roster page as well as the Year-by-Year page was very descriptive, and I hope they can be restored.
here is the all time roster http://lionbackers.com/history/alltimeroster.html .... it needs an update if anyone wants to volunteer

the old history page is here http://lionbackers.com/history.html
I own The Grey Cup! .com