2020 British Columbia General Election Thread

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Which party will you vote for in the 42nd BC general election held on October 24, 2020?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:40 am

New Democratic (John Horgan)
50%
Liberal (Andrew Wilkinson)
25%
Green (Sonia Furstenau)
25%

Total votes: 4
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In light of the recent snap election, have you decided which party you will vote for?

Will there be an NDP-Green allegiance again?

Here's the current seats:

Liberal - 43
NDP - 41
Green - 3

There was an increase in the turnout for 2017:

1986 - 68.5%
1991 - 64.0%
1996 - 59.1%
2001 - 55.4%
2005 - 58.2%
2009 - 51.0%
2013 - 55.3%
2017 - 61.2%

Let's see if 2020 will have at least 60%. With the pandemic however, I wonder if people are afraid to go out to the polling centres.
Last edited by Robbie on Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

tis such a relief not to see Trump and co on the list. Pretty sure he wants to run things everywhere.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

B.C. Liberals say they would eliminate PST for a year if elected.

I suppose if that happens, retailers will simply increase their items 7%, and keep it that way once the PST is re-added.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I wonder how many voters let politicians bribe them into voting their way
Dusty
Champion

KnowItAll wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:08 am
I wonder how many voters let politicians bribe them into voting their way
I would think that the answer to that question is 100%.....

Damn..... I've fallen into the trap of responding to a political thread..... I was doing so well in not following elections underway... I feel a rising tide of sarcasm and caustic thoughts emerging within me.... I'm going back into my cave until the elections are over.... except for voting on one day.....
D.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I think the Lib's may have cooked themselves with this little blunder. With Gov. already bleeding money, does anyone really believe that this is the time to cut revenue? The revenue's are already much reduced as it is. Look at Alberta with their lack of a provincial sales tax and ask if you would want to be in their shoes at this particular time?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:40 am
There was an increase in the turnout for 2017:

1986 - 68.5%
1991 - 64.0%
1996 - 59.1%
2001 - 55.4%
2005 - 58.2%
2009 - 51.0%
2013 - 55.3%
2017 - 61.2%

Let's see if 2020 will have at least 60%. With the pandemic however, I wonder if people are afraid to go out to the polling centres.
With mail-in ballots now, let's see if turnout can exceed 70% if eligible voters are too lazy (or scared) to go to the polling centres.
祝你龍年行大運。
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I actually think the Greens have only 2 sitting MLA's at the moment. Weaver is sitting as an independent until the election at which point he is stepping away from politics. I doubt highly the Greens will increase. At this point, they will be lucky if the manage to get 3 seats again. Their big battle is whether or not their leader can win a seat. If not, then one of their members assuming they win their seats may have to step aside for a by election if they want her to be in the Leg. I hope she gets in actually. She seems to have a few brain cells to rub together and I think she would be a good presence. I doubt the NDP are going to need the Greens this time though. All indications are that they are going to take this election going away and the Liberals are going to be having a new leadership convention in the not too distant future.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It's election day in BC. Did you mail your ballot yet?
祝你龍年行大運。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

expected ndp majority.

thought the greens would do better.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Considering that they had a grand total of 34 days to work with. They had just gotten a new leader, had to find roughly 80 candidates, get election materials ordered and out....they were working uphill from the start. With both the Liberals and NDP, a number of those candidates were incumbents and had signs and such ready to go from the last election. Not to mention, they only had to find maybe half the candidates that the greens had to find. They did pretty good under such conditions, even better when you consider how many races where they placed 2nd (something like 15). A decade ago, a result like this would have been unheard off. Their fundraising was at record levels and that is even more incredible when you consider that the Greens and NDP often complete for the same sway voters. The NDP just had their most successful election ever and the Greens still managed 3 seats and nearly a 4th in Nelson. Not really a bad result considering.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The last time the BC NDP had a majority Provincial government was 29 years ago in October 1991 when Mike Harcourt led the NDP to a huge victory and it's because BC residents were sick and tired of the Social Credit and that essentially led the start of the end of the SC party in BC.

And while the NDP still won in May 1996, they lost a lot of seats to the Liberal party and in May 2001, they were limited to just 2 seats. But they were able to slowly rebound.
祝你龍年行大運。
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well, Bill Vanderzalm was probably one of the most hated Premiers by the time he ran away. I felt sorry for Rita Johnson who basically took over to be slaughtered in the election.

Then there was the Glen Clark era for the NDP. He works for or basically runs the Pattison Corp now. Fast Ferries, Home Decks and what have you did them in. This time round the NDP seem to have found a spot where they can exist without all the stupidity of the past. At least so far. Now that they have a free hand, let's see how restrained they can actually be. If they start handing out sweetheart deals to unions again, then they will crash and burn pretty quick. I hope that they can live up to their words of working with all the parties.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

After the worst party showing in decades, Andrew Wilkinson has stepped down as B.C. Liberal leader.
祝你龍年行大運。
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I'm not quite sure why the rush to resign at this point. We are still in the middle of a pandemic, the election was a scant 2 days ago and they have 4 years to dissect what went wrong. Yes they lost seats but the reality is that for the first time in several years, the political scene in BC has been relatively peaceful. Sure there have been some sticking points here and there but most of the stuff was continuations of things the last Liberals started like Site C. Also, some of the heat from Alberta over the pipeline has, IMO, unwittingly kind of united people somewhat. The NDP have been relatively scandal free over the last 3 years and for a nice change, it didn't seem like there were that many touch points to get really angry about. And thanks to the efforts of Dr. Henry, BC has done pretty well with Covid comparatively. So given the still somewhat fresh taste of frustration with the previous Liberal regime and the relative absence of problems with the NDP , it seemed pretty inevitable that the Liberals were behind the 8 ball. Horgan wouldn't have called an election if he thought he was in tough to win.
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.