Dirty 30(th birthday)

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

So today I turn the Dirty 30. Any advice on how to get over the 30's blues? Feeling kinda down exiting my 20's where it was acceptable to be a little irresponsible sometimes. I feel since the clock struck midnight that there are now all these expectations and responsibilities placed on me.
Last edited by The_Pauser on Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roar you Lions roar!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:So today I turn the Dirty 30. Any advice on how to get over the 30's blues? Feeling kinda down exiting my 20's where it was acceptable to be a little irresponsible sometimes. I feel since the clock struck midnight that there are now all these expectations and responsibilities placed on me.
In no particular order ...

House

Marriage

Kids

Career

Community involvement

Charitable activity

Anything else?

Advice? Hang on for the ride. Try not to get thrown off. Keep on truckin' ...

Oh yeah, count your blessings.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

When I first saw the title I was thinking this might be a thread about the supposed death of Jim Young, who went through a series of health battles some 3-4yrs ago. Happily this is not the case.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
The_Pauser
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:So today I turn the Dirty 30. Any advice on how to get over the 30's blues? Feeling kinda down exiting my 20's where it was acceptable to be a little irresponsible sometimes. I feel since the clock struck midnight that there are now all these expectations and responsibilities placed on me.
In no particular order ...

House

Marriage

Kids

Career

Community involvement

Charitable activity

Anything else?

Advice? Hang on for the ride. Try not to get thrown off. Keep on truckin' ...

Oh yeah, count your blessings.
Pretty much all of that scares the crap out of me lol. I'll start with the house though (or condo given this market). Ready to buy just waiting for the right buy. Definitely don't feel ready to get married or have kids yet. To be honest, I look back to when I graduated high school and I don't think I've changed all that much.
Roar you Lions roar!
The_Pauser
Legend

sj-roc wrote:When I first saw the title I was thinking this might be a thread about the supposed death of Jim Young, who went through a series of health battles some 3-4yrs ago. Happily this is not the case.
Yikes! Definitely didn't mean to make it seem that way. I'll see if I can retitle this to not mislead anyone else.
Roar you Lions roar!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
sj-roc wrote:When I first saw the title I was thinking this might be a thread about the supposed death of Jim Young, who went through a series of health battles some 3-4yrs ago. Happily this is not the case.
Yikes! Definitely didn't mean to make it seem that way. I'll see if I can retitle this to not mislead anyone else.
Me too.

Hope Dirty 30 is OK and doing well.

Happy Birthday, Pauser.

Blessing #1 ... Living in Canada.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
I think it was as much my (overactive?) imagination as anything else. Oftentimes threads of the type I referred to usually make it clear with a (19xx-20xx) type of mention which certainly wasn't the case here. Anyway, happy birthday, and here's to many more.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
The_Pauser
Legend

Cheers guys!
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Feel the urge to give an elbow to Grady Cavness ? For the young ones out there, Cavness was a safety with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. He and Young had a running feud everytime they meet. Cavness went on to play with the Lions.