Powell Street Overpass complete.....(kinda)

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://vancouver.ca/home-property-devel ... oject.aspx

For those looking to come into Vancouver, an old route has re-opened. Taking just over a year, the Powell Street overpass has opened up Powell Street (coming west into Vancouver Downtown) and Cordova Street (leaving east Vancouver Downtown). I thought the project would not be complete until mid-August, but a friend and I were out for an evening cruise last night & its open for business.

Technically will not be complete until transit trolley lines re-hung etc... but most of the heavy lifting done. This will DRAMATICALLY ease congestion along Hasting Street. This should smooth things out for rush hours and IMO, pre/post Lions games. So, for all you LowerMainlanders that don't often come into Vancouver, an old route is back in business.......

(technically the old route was never shut completely you just had to use Clark Drive to get to/from Hastings. Now its straight sailing......)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I drove over it yesterday. The new route is much straighter and smoother.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I drove over it yesterday. The new route is much straighter and smoother.
EXACTLY! Very smooth. And one of the few drawbacks of that route (getting stuck due to shunting train) is now gone since there is an overpass. Apparently there is discussion of more train usage on that line too.....
Bosco
Team Captain

My office is located right in the middle of the construction zone. Thankfully, I won't have to endure the traffic detour hell that has been in place over the past 13 months.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:My office is located right in the middle of the construction zone. Thankfully, I won't have to endure the traffic detour hell that has been in place over the past 13 months.
yup, just you and the hookers now :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:My office is located right in the middle of the construction zone. Thankfully, I won't have to endure the traffic detour hell that has been in place over the past 13 months.
They are grinding, grooving and re-paving Hastings Street instead so I guess there is no relief for the time being. Quite a log-jam heading east/west along Hastings. Hope it gets done quick. I thought things would cool down traffic wise for both streets but NOT......
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I see the police are back setting up road blocks to nab drunken drivers again. They love that spot.