James Garner RIP

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... mes-garner

James Garner was found deceased in his home (natural causes) last Saturday July 19. Garner was 86 when he passed on. I loved Garner in the Rockford Files but many seem to remember him for his role in Maverick. I liked his attitude on/off the screen. He was one of those types who fought hard for the rights of actors.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wonderful guy. So nice. No scandals. Physically abused by his step mom as a youngster. Wounded twice in Korean War.

An actor truly beloved by his fans.

As noted by nota, fought against studio business misdealings.

Best movie: The Americanization of Emily, with Julie Andrews.

Also: Support Your Local Sherriff.

John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The original Maverick
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Always liked Garner and he seemed to be a low profile class guy on and off the screen. Rockford Files was one of my favourite shows of all time.

RIP
Last edited by Blue In BC on Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:Always like Garner and he seemed to be a low profile class guy on and off the screen. Rockford Files was one of my favourite shows of all time.

RIP
It still is a favourite show in re-runs. Rockford Files.

The Notebook role was very poignant.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Very quietly one of my favourite actors. Liked his understated style and deliberate eschewing of the typical macho male roles often portrayed in movies and TV shows.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

always one of my favorites. Also got to respect a guy, and his wife, who stay married for so long.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Two television shows I used to watch with my late grandfather (early 90's) were Rockford Files and the Equalizer......

Denzel Washington has the starring role in a film remake of the TV Show the Equalizer.... I saw it today, okay I guess. I really enjoy a lot of the roles Denzel takes on. Kinda left open for a sequel (this plot-line ended but the character seemed to be willing to continue).

There have been rumours and plans over the past five years or so, of a Rockford Files movie.

I have to admit, it is a thing movie studios are going to get me to go to (remakes of TV shows I used to watch). I resisted the Dukes of Hazzard. Couldn't resist the Equalizer. Will go Rockford Files if it ever gets made....

Obviously film allows for a lot more violence than TV ever did, the film the Equalizer was certainly like watching an episode of '1000 ways to die' with a script. I doubt my grandfather would have enjoyed the film but the character (a good ex-service, willing to stand up for little guy/gal in the face of criminals) seemed true to the TV Show....