PQ Election Tactic

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

So, the PQ's latest tactic in their arsenal of divisiveness seems to be about fear mongering that "non resident" anglo and allo phones are trying to steal the election. At least two candidates including Marois have suggested that these non residents (some of whom have lived in Quebec for 3 or more years) are really forces from other provinces that are trying to (my words) steal the election away from Quebecers.

At first I thought it was just a little bit more of the whiny PQ but on reflection I realize that this strategy has deliberately pitted Francophones against the rest of the residents of Quebec. It is disgusting in that it will foster the idea that if the PQ loses this election that somehow it was "rigged" by outside influences. This despite statements from the Chief Electoral Officer that there are no signs of registration irregularities.

I find this tactic disgusting. Having a platform that supports independence is perhaps shortsighted IMO but at least it is an honest goal. But this is low even for PQ standards. It will only serve to fan hostilities between Francophones and the rest. The are essentially saying that non-francophones are trying to cheat and any voter outcome other than a PQ majority will be the result of non-Quebecers influencing the vote away from Francophones.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Marois seems like a clown.

Blames others. Takes no blame personally.

It seems to me she is damaging the Separatist movement and her party. Too bad about that. :wink: And of course she is greatly shortening her own political career.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sounds like Jacques Parizeau and his reference to "ethnic votes" defeating the referendum. What a bunch of whiners and losers.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
At first I thought it was just a little bit more of the whiny PQ but on reflection I realize that this strategy has deliberately pitted Francophones against the rest of the residents of Quebec. It is disgusting in that it will foster the idea that if the PQ loses this election that somehow it was "rigged" by outside influences.

It will only serve to fan hostilities between Francophones and the rest. The are essentially saying that non-francophones are trying to cheat and any voter outcome other than a PQ majority will be the result of non-Quebecers influencing the vote away from Francophones.
This is the way it's been for Quebecois Francaise for well over 60 years. Among the less educated (at whom Marois is aiming her rhetotic) along La Rive Nord and Des Cantons de l'Est for example, this is a message that rings true, mainly that les maudit anglais are the source of all of their problems.

This is called "racism" in the rest of the civilized world. In Canada, if one's mother tongue is Francaise Quebecoise, it's called asymmetrical federalism, or patriotism.

Now if someone in BC blames Quebecers for something, say unfair dairy subsidies, that person is labelled a racist. If you're a Quebecois saying the same about an English speaking British Columbian, you are a patriot.

Sometimes I think the American version of "equality" is more equal than the Canadian.