Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e16966661/
Canadian cities tops in North America for quality of life: survey

BERTRAND MAROTTE

The Globe and Mail

Published Wednesday, Feb. 19 2014, 10:01 AM EST

Canadian cities dominate North America’s top-five list for quality of life in a closely watched annual survey.

Vancouver is rated first among North American cities in the 2014 Mercer Quality of Living rankings, followed by Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal in second, third and fourth places, respectively.

On a global basis, Vancouver clinches fifth place, followed by Ottawa in 14th, then Toronto (15th) and Montreal (23rd).

San Francisco occupies fifth spot for North America and number 27 globally.

Once again, the top city in the world for quality of life is Vienna, according to the survey.

Zurich is second, followed by the New Zealand city of Auckland and then Munich.

The top-ranking Asian city is Singapore, which is 25th globally. Dubai is tops in the Middle East and Africa, 73rd overall.

“On the whole, North American cities offer a high quality of living and are attractive working destinations for companies and their expatriates,” said senior Mercer researcher Slagin Parakatil.

“A wide range of consumer goods are available, and infrastructures, including recreational provisions, are excellent.”

Mercer’s annual Quality of Living survey is conducted to help multinational companies and other employers compensate employees fairly when sending them on international assignments.

The global consulting firm based its index on 39 factors grouped in 10 categories:
•Political and social environment (political stability, crime, law enforcement, etc.)
•Economic environment (currency exchange regulations, banking services)
•Socio-cultural environment (media availability and censorship, limitations on personal freedom)
•Medical and health considerations (medical supplies and services, infectious diseases, sewage, waste disposal, air pollution, etc.)
•Schools and education (standards and availability of international schools)
•Public services and transportation (electricity, water, public transportation, traffic congestion, etc.)
•Recreation (restaurants, theatres, cinemas, sports and leisure, etc.)
•Consumer goods (availability of food/daily consumption items, cars, etc.)
•Housing (rental housing, household appliances, furniture, maintenance services)
•Natural environment (climate, record of natural disasters)
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

On most days, at some point, I feel fortunate to be born in Canada, and to live in Canada.

Freedoms.

Opportunity.

Water.

Air.

Safety.

Health care.

Social conditions.

Economic conditions.

Political environment.

Not without problems. Of course. In Vancouver, as times goes on, we have traffic problems, high costs of living, crime and pollution.

As Winston Churchill said, "Democracy is a terrible system, but it's better than all the rest."

IMO That is true of Canada as well.

And what I feel about Canada goes at least as much for the city in which I was born, Vancouver.

Fortunate. And grateful.

Consider: Syria. Iraq. Iran. Various hell holes in Africa. North Korea. Palestine. Afghanistan. Pakistan. India. And countries dominated by drug cartels.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Vancouver is the most expensive city in North America

By Vancity Buzz | 2 days ago | Speak Up

Tokyo has once again reclaimed its top spot as the world’s most expensive city. The annual Worldwide Cost of Living Survey conducted by the Economist Intelligence Unit also concludes that Vancouver is the most expensive city in North America.

Vancouver remains the most expensive city on the continent, edging out New York City by 6 per cent. It ranked number 21 in the worldwide rankings.

The survey compares the prices of over 160 product and services. These include clothing, food, drinks, rent, transportation, utility bills, personal care, household supplies and recreational costs.

Most Expensive Cities in the World (Cost of Living)
1.Tokyo, Japan
2.Osaka, Japan
3.Sydney, Australia
4.Oslo, Norway
5.Melbourne, Australia
6.Singapore
7.Zurich, Switzerland
8.Paris, France
9.Caracas, Venezuela
10.Geneva, Switzerland

21. Vancouver, Canada

Robbie
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Opportunity.
Including job opportunities? :hmm:
And what I feel about Canada goes at least as much for the city in which I was born, Vancouver.
When it comes to such lists and comparisons, since it is so subjective I'd say it really depends on the individual and what their desires and needs are at the point in their life, relatively speaking. Just curious, WCJ, have you lived in other Canadian major cities for a few years so that you can at least experience both cities and have a better feeling of how both cities compare? Let's compare Vancouver with Calgary, Toronto, and Montreal. If Vancouver is the best Canadian city, then exactly how is Vancouver better than Calgary, Toronto, and Montreal? Likewise, Vancouver has its share of problems and are those problems less apparent than other Canadian cities? I guess if having a great career and making lots of money is very important to you, then Toronto and Montreal might offer better opportunities and maybe Calgary as well if you are in oil or high-tech industries. And if you want to buy a large yet affordable house, then Edmonton or Ottawa is the place to go.
Consider: Syria. Iraq. Iran. Various hell holes in Africa. North Korea. Palestine. Afghanistan. Pakistan. India. And countries dominated by drug cartels.
I don' t think it's a good comparison to consider these third world and unstable countries. A better apples to apples comparison is to compare Canada with the first world countries in Europe, Asia, and of course the United States of America. Exactly where does Canada fall then, relatively speaking?

From what I know, there are lots of young Canadian university graduates who do a huge exodus and migrate down south for better career opportunities and income - not to mention all the famous Canadian celebrities who have long made America their home. I've never heard of Americans migrating up north in droves recently and the only time I ever heard of that was in the early 1970's when some young American men went to Canada to avoid being drafted for the Vietnam War. Therefore, for those who have lived for several years in both Canada and America, they will likely consider America the better country to live in, comparatively.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hey, Robbie. It's all personal choice and personal values.

I love my country. I love my city. More and more as time goes by.

As I said, I feel fortunate and grateful.

You are not expressing much love for Canada in your post, nor for Vancouver. Your choice. And if a person does not love the place they live, and they have a choice, then by all means, a move makes sense.

Other places I might consider at some point are Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Ecuador and some others.

notahomer
Hall of Famer

I enjoyed a trip to Tokyo, Japan. I found the people accomadating. IMO, it wasn't that expensive. I checked out an observation deck at Tokyo's City hall that was located on the 47th floor of their city hall. COST? FREE!!! IOW, a much nicer view of Tokyo than one could get at Harbour Centre or the Space Needle in Seattle AND IT WAS FREE!

Those kinds of gems are available here too, IMO. Try out the Cap Suspension Bridge for a charge. Or a beautiful suspension bridge/creek, canyon/provincial part at Lynn Canyon....ALL FREE!

I'm proud to be a 3rd generation Vancouverite (my grandmother, father, myself). I also love how many people are from so many other parts of Canada and the WORLD.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I wish we would stop showing up high on these lists. Don't need even a continued influx of new people, let alone an increase. Worse thing ever was letting in the world in expo. I liked it in the 60s and 70s when it was just our little secret paradise.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:I wish we would stop showing up high on these lists. Don't need even a continued influx of new people, let alone an increase. Worse thing ever was letting in the world in expo. I liked it in the 60s and 70s when it was just our little secret paradise.
I know what you mean, KIA.

I recall around that time of Expo 86, I started to notice traffic getting worse, cranky drivers (myself included), smog, crime, cost of living, gangs, less feeling of safety. And I too felt it would be nice to keep Vancouver a secret. That could not happen. And we can't put the Genie back in the bottle now.

Even before Expo, I recall that large painted sign downtown, maybe in the 1970s, Once in a World, a City Like Vancouver. The world was catching on to this city. And then the movie stars started living here. We became Hollywood North. No turning back. (And I recall the first time I started to notice cranky drivers honking their horns downtown. Heck, I do that quite a lot now. And get the occasional road rage. I won't tell the stories publicly. That's what they say about rats in a cage. Couple of rats = OK. Cage too full = rage and fights all over the place.)

More recently it seems to me that Vancouver is turning into New York in terms of crime. Meanwhile I gather New York has rolled back the crime by beefing up the police force.

Still for all that bad stuff that goes with a big city, I still find I can love it here. Restaurants. Views. Water. Air still good compared to most places. Entertainments. Pretty much anything you want.

notahomer
Hall of Famer

I'm still BLOWN away by our parks too. We got Stanley Park within the City Limits. And Pacific Spirit Park which is technically outside Vancouver but still a massive park. And the lower mainland is teeming with amazing nature spots........

Minnekada, Buntzen Lake, Central Park, Lighthouse Park, Ambleside, Lynn Canyon etc........
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:I'm still BLOWN away by our parks too. We got Stanley Park within the City Limits. And Pacific Spirit Park which is technically outside Vancouver but still a massive park. And the lower mainland is teeming with amazing nature spots........

Minnekada, Buntzen Lake, Central Park, Lighthouse Park, Ambleside, Lynn Canyon etc........
In the early 1980s I was in Edinburgh, Scotland. Beautiful, old historic city. It seemed that the parks were all fenced, gated and locked. Private. Unoccupied. So different from Vancouver. I think we tend to take our parks for granted. Walking on sea walls. Access to the beaches.

Was in Venice and across the lagoon to Lido. Access to the beach was not free.

Stanley Park is simply awesome.

As are many smaller, beautiful parks in Vancouver and the environs.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/ ... n-toronto/
In Canada’s housing market here’s what $500 K buys: A lake in Edmonton … a condo in Toronto

Postmedia News | February 21, 2014 | Last Updated: Feb 21 6:37 AM ET

HandoutsFrom four bedrooms in Windsor to one-bedroom in Vancouver, how far $500,000 in Canada's diverse housing market goes depends entirely on where you want to live. .

The Canadian Real Estate Association has predicted that the national average price for a home will be $391,000 this year.

But it’s hard to compare how far your buck will go in Canadian cities using that figure, since the average prices at year’s end are so very different: $785,574 in Vancouver and $320,693 in Montreal, for instance. So we’ve found a round figure in the middle and asked, what could approximately $500,000 have bought homebuyers in various markets across the country?
EDMONTON

Shaughn Butts/Edmonton Journal$499,900 in Edmonton will get you two-and-a-half storey, three-bedroom show home, with double detached garage and 2.5 baths. .

The place: Two-and-a-half storey, three-bedroom show home, with double detached garage and 2.5 baths

List price: $499,900

Square footage: 1,901

Taxes: $3,400

Monthly fees: HOA $300/month

Where: Late stage of an established development in city’s southeast, south of the ring road. Forty minutes to downtown, 10 minutes to the airport, and five minutes to a residents-only recreational lake.

Top features: Loft-den, bonus room with Juliet balcony, hardwood, gas fireplace, all appliances, deck and landscaping included. As a bonus, all the furnishings are included. HOA fee includes access to a 32-acre freshwater lake with sandy beach, dock, tennis courts and all-season clubhouse.

Contact: Madeline Sarafinchin, Jayman Realty (Edm) Inc.; 780-913-6595

MONTREAL

HandoutThis four-bedroom bungalow in a western suburb of Montreal comes with a salt-water pool. .

The place: Four-bedroom bungalow with two baths, built in 1959

List price: $492,500

Square footage: 1,442

Where: The Beaurepaire area of Beaconsfield, a western suburb of Montreal. Not far from Lac St. Louis and a commuter train station.

Top features: Comfortable bright living room with wood fireplace opening to dining area. Fully renovated three years ago, with spacious and modern kitchen with granite counter tops. Unique south-facing den adjacent to master bedroom. Fenced yard with new salt-water pool on a lot of 9,122 square feet. Extra-large basement family room with fourth bedroom, laundry room and workshop.

Taxes: $4,746

Monthly Fees: N/A

Contact: G. Shepherd Abbey, Abbey & Olivier Real Estate Agency; cell: 514-951-6008; office: 514-694-7866; shep@abbeyandolivier.ca

OTTAWA

handoutIn the east-end suburb of Orleans, separated by a 20- to 25-minute highway drive from downtown Ottawa. .

The place: Two-storey single family home with four bedrooms and four bathrooms

Square footage: 3,200

Where: In the east-end suburb of Orleans, separated by a 20- to 25-minute highway drive from downtown Ottawa. This home is a short walk to shopping, cafés, parks, schools and public transit.

Top features: Classic crown moulding and gleaming hardwood floors run throughout the main level of this Naismith model by Minto. The kitchen is open to the family room to allow ease of flow when guests come to visit. An elegant curved hardwood staircase leads to the upper landing. Homeowners can spread out with two spacious ensuite bathrooms and three walk-in closets. The backyard is fully fenced with no rear neighbours.

Taxes: $4,879

Contact: Jason Pilon, Keller Williams Ottawa Realty, Jason@PilonHamilton.com, PilonHamilton.com; 613-845-0271

REGINA

HandoutThis two-storey split in Regina has13 rooms, including three bedrooms and three bathrooms..

The place: A two-storey split with 13 rooms, including three bedrooms and three bathrooms

List price: $519,900

Square footage: 2,090

Where: Situated in a well-established, well-treed neighbourhood in southeast Regina, close to schools, parks and shopping. Only a few minutes drive from downtown. Backing green space.

Top features: A spacious family home, built in 1984, featuring many updates and upgrades, including a modern, eat-in kitchen with granite countertops, and heated slate flooring through the kitchen, dining area and hallway. A garden door leads to the deck overlooking a beautifully landscaped yard with patio, pond and flower beds. The over-sized garage is insulated and drywalled.

Taxes: $3,263

Contact: Leanne Tourney, Re/Max Joyce Tourney Realty; 306-791-7666

HandoutFormer show home with all the bells and whistles: hardwood floors, kitchen island and walk-in pantry, central air, central vac, four bathrooms and a fully finished basement..

SASKATOON

The place: Two-storey, four bedrooms, four bathrooms

List price: $504,900

Square footage: 3,975

Where: Premium Stonebridge location in the south end of the city. New development full of young families, close to shopping, parks and leisure facilities. Quick access to freeway means that downtown Saskatoon is only a short drive away.

Top features: Former show home with all the bells and whistles: hardwood floors, kitchen island and walk-in pantry, central air, central vac, four bathrooms and a fully finished basement. Open concept. Main-floor laundry.

Taxes: $3,975

Contact: Listed by Manning Luo, Re/Max Saskatoon; 306-242-6000; manning@saskatoonrealestates.ca

TORONTO

HandoutFor around $500,000 in Toronto you can get a two-bedroom townhouse and have to pay $503 per month in fees. .

The place: Two-bedroom, two-storey loft townhouse with one bathroom and one parking space

List price: $489,900

Square footage: 806

Taxes: $2,802.21 in 2013

Monthly fee: Maintenance/HOA of $503 per month

Where: Excellent downtown-west location in the trendy Niagara neighbourhood, with transit, cafés and restaurants nearby. Walking distance to the 37-acre, uber-popular family- and pet-friendly Trinity Bellwoods Park.

Top features: Exposed concrete feature walls, floor-to-ceiling windows, custom kitchen, gas hookup for barbecue on its garden patio.

Contact: Brad Lamb, Brad J. Lamb Realty Inc.; 416-368-5262; brad@torontocondos.com

Faith Wilson GroupThis one-bedroom condo at “The Grafton”, a heritage conversion building in Yaletown in Vancouver goes for $475,000. .

VANCOUVER

The place: 1-bedroom, 1-bathroom condo in The Grafton

List price: $483,000

Square footage: 850

Where: Situated in a prime Yaletown neighbourhood in the heart of downtown, with trendy eateries, entertainment, sports venues and shopping on the doorstep, as well as the seawall and myriad transportation options.

Top features: A New York-style home that merges original heritage features — exposed brickwork and wood beams — with a modern open-concept interior. Features include hardwood floors, expansive windows and a functional floor plan, a gas fireplace, custom kitchen, master bedroom with walk-in closet, five-piece ensuite, storage locker and parking stall.

Taxes: $2,000

Monthly fees: $431 per month

Contact: Faith Wilson at Faith Wilson Group; 604-224-5277; toll-free: 1-855-760-6886

WINDSOR

Postmedia News In Windsor you can get a four-bedroom, house with games room and office above garage, hardwood floors throughout, maple staircase and designer granite kitchen..

The place: Executive two-storey, four bedrooms, master ensuite bathroom, 2.5-car garage. Located in the suburb of Lakeshore

Square footage: 3,300

Taxes: $5,200

Where: Situated in a two-year-old subdivision, 20 minutes from downtown Windsor. Just minutes away from four golf courses and Lake St. Clair.

Top features: A games room and office above garage, hardwood floors throughout, maple staircase and designer granite kitchen, large fenced yard, covered porch and fenced, in-ground pool.

What $500,000 will get you in various Canadian cities. From some luxury, top end houses to a one bedroom condo in Vancouver.

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Notahomer, I will ask the same questions that I asked WCJ.
notahomer wrote:I'm still BLOWN away by our parks too. We got Stanley Park within the City Limits. And Pacific Spirit Park which is technically outside Vancouver but still a massive park. And the lower mainland is teeming with amazing nature spots........Minnekada, Buntzen Lake, Central Park, Lighthouse Park, Ambleside, Lynn Canyon etc........
Have you ever lived in other Canadian cities as well for a comparison on a national level? If so, how do you think Vancouver compares to Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal?
notahomer wrote:I enjoyed a trip to Tokyo, Japan. I found the people accomadating. IMO, it wasn't that expensive. I checked out an observation deck at Tokyo's City hall that was located on the 47th floor of their city hall. COST? FREE!!! IOW, a much nicer view of Tokyo than one could get at Harbour Centre or the Space Needle in Seattle AND IT WAS FREE!
So you went and experienced and lived in Japan for a while and had a good time there. So likewise, how does Canada compare to Japan and any other first world countries that you may have lived in?
notahomer wrote:I also love how many people are from so many other parts of Canada and the WORLD.
And is that really a good thing or a bad thing?

Is there anything that is very unique and exclusive to Canada culturally? I stated before that it looks like Canadian culture is simply a mixture of British and American culture - there's so much overlap between Canada and the UK and USA that culturally on an international level, it's hard to think what exactly is Canadian without having to think about American or British culture first.

In the major Canadian cities, there are lots of ethnic festivals and celebrations that are observed and that have origins from other countries:

China/Taiwan/Hong Kong: Lunar New Year, Mid-Autumn Moon Festival, Dragon Boat Festival
Germany: Oktoberfest
Ireland: St. Patrick's Day, and even Halloween with its celtic roots
Mexico: Cinco de Mayo
India: various events
Italy: various events

There are a fair amount of Canadian expatriates in other countries. Is there much congregation and do they have huge celebrations in those countries for Canada Day and Canadian Thanksgiving? I think not.

On the same token, most major North American cities including Vancouver have their own ethnic enclaves like Chinatown, Japantown, Koreatown, Little India, Little Saigon, Little Manila, Little Italy, Greektown, etc. So among the cities that have Canadian expatriates, is there a Canadatown or Little Canada? I don't think so. I think the closest thing would be Canada's subculture among the French Canadians who have an enclave on certain cities along America's east coast as they somewhat resemble the French Quarters of certain cities, most prevalent being New Orleans and their upcoming Mardi Gras.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Notahomer, I will ask the same questions that I asked WCJ.
notahomer wrote:I'm still BLOWN away by our parks too. We got Stanley Park within the City Limits. And Pacific Spirit Park which is technically outside Vancouver but still a massive park. And the lower mainland is teeming with amazing nature spots........Minnekada, Buntzen Lake, Central Park, Lighthouse Park, Ambleside, Lynn Canyon etc........
Have you ever lived in other Canadian cities as well for a comparison on a national level? If so, how do you think Vancouver compares to Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal?
Robbie, are you asking for qualifications? Forget about it. These are opinions.
Robbie wrote:
notahomer wrote:I also love how many people are from so many other parts of Canada and the WORLD.
And is that really a good thing or a bad thing?
Some of us think that is a very good thing. What do you think, Robbie? State some of your own opinions.
Robbie wrote:Is there anything that is very unique and exclusive to Canada culturally? I stated before that it looks like Canadian culture is simply a mixture of British and American culture - there's so much overlap between Canada and the UK and USA that culturally on an international level, it's hard to think what exactly is Canadian without having to think about American or British culture first.
Robbie, do you take pride in Canada? Do you take pride in Vancouver?

I expressed some pride in my city and country. About all I see from you here is questions and doubts. State your own opinions. All you are doing is asking questions, in a manner that would seem to indicate disagreement with the opinions expressed by notahomer and myself.

Robbie
Hall of Famer

What I'll say is that each city and country has its own advantages and as such, one has to decide which city is more appropriate depending on one's priorities in one's life. There's no such right or wrong answer, but just a matter of opinion because of one's professional and personal life and since every person has their own priorities and some environments are better.

To answer your question, as a working professional I'd say America serves me better as my career is the most important aspect of my life at this point like many of my Canadian friends who went south. And if I'm a professional in my field in Canada I would think that Calgary or Toronto serves me better like many of my Vancouver university classmates. Stereotypically of course but the general consensus is that Vancouver is not the best city for college grads and young professionals. Perhaps after I'm retired I might think that Vancouver might be best for at that point in my life like how there's a lot of retirees in the city.
祝你龍年行大運。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

All cities have their pros and cons.