Canadian cities tops in North America for quality of life

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:All cities have their pros and cons.
True enough, and it all depends on whether the individual feels that the pro is very important at one's point in their life and whether the con is tolerable and acceptable at that point as well.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:What I'll say is that each city and country has its own advantages and as such, one has to decide which city is more appropriate depending on one's priorities in one's life. There's no such right or wrong answer, but just a matter of opinion because of one's professional and personal life and since every person has their own priorities and some environments are better.

To answer your question, as a working professional I'd say America serves me better as my career is the most important aspect of my life at this point like many of my Canadian friends who went south. And if I'm a professional in my field in Canada I would think that Calgary or Toronto serves me better like many of my Vancouver university classmates. Stereotypically of course but the general consensus is that Vancouver is not the best city for college grads and young professionals. Perhaps after I'm retired I might think that Vancouver might be best for at that point in my life like how there's a lot of retirees in the city.
Fair enough. I have always taken some pride in my city. As I indicated, I feel more and more blessed as time goes by. And that holds true for Canada as my country, possibly even more than Vancouver, my city.

Blessed. Fortunate. Grateful.

A couple of months ago I read an article about the rescue of a small boy from somewhere in Africa. I wish I had kept a copy of it. His family was killed. Water was scarce. Food was even more scarce. Tribal warfare everywhere. Sickness everywhere. The boy is taken to Canada. He sees food. Clean water. Safety. Medical help. Friendly people. He asks in all seriousness: "Are we in Heaven?" Well, I would say that we are.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:I have always taken some pride in my city. As I indicated, I feel more and more blessed as time goes by. And that holds true for Canada as my country, possibly even more than Vancouver, my city.

Blessed. Fortunate. Grateful.
This is from Global News ICYMI:

[video][/video]
A video by Loig's Music Lab. Thank you Vancouver for being such an awesome and happy city!
http://globalnews.ca/news/1172446/vanco ... -the-city/
Vancouver couple makes ‘happy’ video to share love for the city
By Christine Tam, Global News
February 25, 2014, 4:57 pm

A Vancouver couple is hoping to show the world how friendly and happy their city is in a new video posted to YouTube.

Amina Morin and her husband, Loig, immigrated to Vancouver from France four years ago.

Morin said despite the city’s so-called reputation as being unfriendly, they have had nothing but positive experiences and wanted to dispel that myth.

“We’ve been here in Vancouver for four years from France and we love it so much. We’ve met so many different people and we just wanted to share with them this happy fun thing,” Morin said.

The couple, who runs a recording studio in North Vancouver, decided to make a video inspired by Pharrell Williams’ hit song “Happy” to show just how fun Vancouver is.

“People complain that it’s expensive here and hard to meet people, but we just wanted to share our experience, which is that people are positive and welcoming,” she said.

The video does just that. It shows groups of people dancing, laughing and simply being happy at many of Vancouver’s iconic landmarks.

“It’s a way to thank Vancouver for bringing us all this awesome,” Morin said. ”It’s not meant to represent all of the communities in Vancouver, it’s just about a group of friends getting together and having fun.”

Morin said the couple brings that level of positivity to their business, Loig’s Music Lab.

“The song is exactly the spirit and the state of mind that our music lab is in. It’s important not to take things so seriously,” Morin said, adding that she didn’t expect the video to get nearly 10,000 hits in five days.

“Vancouver is a happy city and we are glad that this may help people to see how wonderful it is,” she said.

“I’m happy.”
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

a bunch of people jumping around for a camera does not equal a happy city. Don't you believe it world. It sucks here. Last place you would want to move to. Make room in your countries for those lucky enough to escape here.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:a bunch of people jumping around for a camera does not equal a happy city. Don't you believe it world. It sucks here. Last place you would want to move to. Make room in your countries for those lucky enough to escape here.
Just to be clear, they're talking about Vancouver, not Delta. :twisted:

Perhaps you could post a Debbie Downer-style video to youtube reflecting your stated views.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.