Dal Richards: Vancouver's Music Man

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Many longtime BC Lions fans and/or regulars on this board are well aware of the connection of longtime bandleader Dal Richards to the team, so I thought I'd share this article about him I read in the current issue of Kerrisdale Insider, a free local promotional magazine published by the Kerrisdale Business Association. It turns out Magee high school in the area is observing its centennial anniversary this year and Richards, who happens to be an alumnus (1936) has been named Honorary Chair for the formal celebration event of this milestone, so this is the main angle for the article. The mag's website presents the whole issue in retail flyer or e-newspaper fashion — you have to navigate it almost like a print edition. So I can't grab and paste even a small excerpt of text, but here's the link, which should take you directly to the correct starting page. If not you can find it on page 8 going by printed page #'s, or page 9 electronically:

http://issuu.com/pallamedia/docs/kerris ... 67/6679319

(he's on the cover, too!) The article runs for five pages including photos. There's no Lions content but worth reading anyway. For a guy who turned 96 in early January he doesn't seem to have slowed down much! (A separate article on the Magee centennial itself follows the Richards one if this interests you.)
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
D
Team Captain

I own The Grey Cup! .com
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Dal Richards and the Beefeaters were a staple at the Lions game in the 60's and 70's. I can remember a game in which a Lion player was badly injured on a play. While the player was being attended to Dal and his band started playing Happy Days are Here Again.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Dal Richards and the Beefeaters were a staple at the Lions game in the 60's and 70's. I can remember a game in which a Lion player was badly injured on a play. While the player was being attended to Dal and his band started playing Happy Days are Here Again.
So... it was Paul Brothers that got hurt?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Dal Richards and the Beefeaters were a staple at the Lions game in the 60's and 70's. I can remember a game in which a Lion player was badly injured on a play. While the player was being attended to Dal and his band started playing Happy Days are Here Again.
So... it was Paul Brothers that got hurt?
:wink: :wink: I think it was a defensive back or lineman
South Pender
Legend

sj-roc wrote:Many longtime BC Lions fans and/or regulars on this board are well aware of the connection of longtime bandleader Dal Richards to the team, so I thought I'd share this article about him I read in the current issue of Kerrisdale Insider, a free local promotional magazine published by the Kerrisdale Business Association. It turns out Magee high school in the area is observing its centennial anniversary this year and Richards, who happens to be an alumnus (1936) has been named Honorary Chair for the formal celebration event of this milestone, so this is the main angle for the article.
My high school! Wonderful school--except that they phased out football, and we all had to play rugby instead....