what a pathetic species we are

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

I think what Lions4ever is saying is that there is no conclusive proof that allowing grocery and corner stores to sell alcohol will lead to an increase in teenage drunkenness (or violent sprees as you fear). If they want to drink, they're going to find ways to do it anyway. Besides, they'll still have to show ID like they do in Liquor / Cold Beer and Wine stores; you're not handing it out on the streets!

Me? I'm all for the European approach. Quit demonizing alcohol and tempting teenagers with something they're forbidden to consume. More than likely if you say "you can," they won't.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
so, if some drunk teens go on a vandalizing spree which includes your property, you don't care
if they also assault you or your family or your friends or your neighbours, you don't care
if their being drunk also leads to theirs or someone elses death, you don't care

is that the jist of it?
Scaremongers spout this sort of nonsense all the time. Each one of the acts in your hypothetical is a separate criminal act which is capable of prosecution. As drunkenness is not a defence to a crime it is irrelevant. One would be prosecuted for the act. And it presumes that drunkenness will happen and that it causes crime. That's the same nonsense the prohibitionists thought when it came into being. Towns sold their jails because they thought crime would end. Thanks for the red herrings though. Oh, and this....
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I think what Lions4ever is saying is that there is no conclusive proof that allowing grocery and corner stores to sell alcohol will lead to an increase in teenage drunkenness (or violent sprees as you fear). If they want to drink, they're going to find ways to do it anyway. Besides, they'll still have to show ID like they do in Liquor / Cold Beer and Wine stores; you're not handing it out on the streets!

Me? I'm all for the European approach. Quit demonizing alcohol and tempting teenagers with something they're forbidden to consume. More than likely if you say "you can," they won't.

DH :cool:
Correct David.

A recent study from the US where beer, wine (and often spirits) are widely available in grocers, corner/convenience stores and gas stations (usually very cheaply by our standards too, I might add) shows that teen drinking is at historic lows.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/InTheN ... uGCJBDTlQI