Now its Rob Ford versus Olivia Chow...

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Mike Harcourt, then premier of BC resigned due to allegations. I respected what he did because I saw it as protecting the office he'd been elected to serve us for.

The recent Senate scandals? No question, IMO, they should resign but I do think the person who appointed Duffy/Wallin needs to accept some of the responsibility simply because neither one would be Senators without the PM suggesting they'd be good senators. Should the PM resign over this? Probably not, IMO but still do more acceptance of your part.

However, these political 'scandals' pale in comparision to what is going on currently in Toronto. The in-yer-face style of Mayor Ford has FINALLY come back to bite him, IMO. What I find shocking is that he doesn't think he should resign. I have seen ONE PIECE of ONE VIDEO and he should resign based on that piece, IMO. A person hops out of a vehicle that looks eerily like Mayor Fords and that person URINATES on a public street. That is enough right there, for me. How can you be willing to represent what Ford claims he does and you, the Mayor, urinate in public?

There are higher standards expected of our public figures. I was baffled at Eliot Spitzer when he was busted using the services of a prostitute considering his penchant for prosecuting 'johns'. Spitzer did the right thing and resigned IMMEDIATELY.

This is what Ford must do, IMO. I think he has become an emberassment to the City of Toronto. Part of holding these types of public offices is perception. Harcourt claims to have stepped down due to the perception of disrepute he may have brought to the office. When you as Mayor are getting jokes made about you on ALL LATE NIGHT comedy shows I'd be worried. When you have claimed that you are being persecuted and 'videos' don't exist (that it turns out do exist!), how can that not be time to say, "YOU KNOW WHAT, I'm sorry, I resign". Run again. Whatever, but admit your wrongs and step aside. Its the right think to do, IMO. I'm sure Ford's supporters can list tons of good he's done for Toronto but this is a bad smell that is not going to go away, not until you do the right thing, IMO and call it a day........
Last edited by notahomer on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
South Pender
Legend

What I find really surprising about L'Affair Rob Ford is that a lot of Torontonians are still supporting him. Although a complete lout (and worse), he's seen by some as a poor man's Chris Christie--a big, loud, right-wing guy who, according to many Torontonians, got things done (the major thing, I believe, was keeping municipal taxes low). However, given the flood of evidence concerning his behaviour and life-style, I think you can stick a fork in him; he's done.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:Closer to home:

http://www.thebeaverton.com/breaking-po ... salmon.htm

:rotf:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I had to laugh when I heard that one of the side effects of smoking crack can be appetite suppression. When he says he isn't addicted, I have to give him the benefit of a doubt.

Poor humour aside, those that think his behaviour doesn't reflect badly on the city or are thinking it won't affect his ability to work are well...misguided. Media outlets all over the world are showing pictures of Ford and his mea culpa. How effective is he going to be when representing the City when in his role of Mayor. How many leaders, representatives etc. are going to be thinking that this guy is a tool for doing what he did, dishonest in his deceptions on the matter and insincere in his apology owing to his waiting until he was caught? Many I should think. As for the voters of Toronto, you have to again question why you trust a person who has toyed with a very dangerous drug, has alcohol issues and appears quite prepared to lie about all of it all while in public office. In that he hardly alone but as a voter, you would think that there must be someone with more character who could do what he does as Mayor without all the other BS that goes along with it.

Whatever happens to Ford, I'm pretty sure that there is going to be some changes in legislation so that future issues of this kind can result in removal.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:What I find really surprising about L'Affair Rob Ford is that a lot of Torontonians are still supporting him. Although a complete lout (and worse), he's seen by some as a poor man's Chris Christie--a big, loud, right-wing guy who, according to many Torontonians, got things done (the major thing, I believe, was keeping municipal taxes low). However, given the flood of evidence concerning his behaviour and life-style, I think you can stick a fork in him; he's done.
No surprise that a lot of Torontonians support Ford, after all they support the Maple Leafs a team that passes as a professional hockey team.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:...............Whatever happens to Ford, I'm pretty sure that there is going to be some changes in legislation so that future issues of this kind can result in removal.
You'd hope so. At one time, now long gone, I'm sure legislation for this wouldn't have been required. Longer he lets these embers burn, the longer guys like Jon Stewart get to milk it. I love the Daily Show and even Jon is practically apologetic at what easy material Ford is providing him...........

Harper's Senate scandal just doesn't seem so important right now. It still is, IMO but media wise, its not. Wonder if Fords got any more bombshells to drop Friday afternoon?
South Pender
Legend

For those fascinated by this appalling excuse for a human being, here's the latest video to appear (yesterday, I think). The video takes a few moments to get going, with a few set-up announcements first:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/11 ... _rant.html
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Patrick Stewart and Jon Stewart (no relation) both had a minor field day.

Jon Stewart is usually like a shark who circles in the water, especially when there is blood. However, this time he is apologetic. Its like he realizes that while its funny, ITS NOT! It is an emberassment to the city, Ford's family and Ford. Stewart is one of my favourite comics but I admire his two edged sword on this matter.

Ford sounded like a professional wrestler from the 80's talking about his main event at an upcoming pay-per-view.........
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:For those fascinated by this appalling excuse for a human being, here's the latest video to appear (yesterday, I think). The video takes a few moments to get going, with a few set-up announcements first:

It just gets worse for Ford. How can he run the city with the vultures circling over his head.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

have you driven a ford lately
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
South Pender
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
South Pender wrote:For those fascinated by this appalling excuse for a human being, here's the latest video to appear (yesterday, I think). The video takes a few moments to get going, with a few set-up announcements first:

It just gets worse for Ford. How can he run the city with the vultures circling over his head.
You're right. However, I think a more serious issue is his association with criminals and consequently his vulnerability to blackmail. Who knows what these thugs he hangs out with have on him--and what they might demand to keep quiet? In my view, he's now moved from being just a lout and complete douche-bag to a real danger to Toronto.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

THankfully the radio station and the FOrd brothers have mutually agreed to cancel their show......
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Seemed a little quiet but just had to give Mayor Ford more time to insert his feet into his mouth........

The Toronto Argonauts released a statement (according to todays Province and 24 hour commuter paper) expressing their dissappointment with Mayor Ford's behaviour and comments while wearing his 'Mayor Ford' Argo jersey. :bang: I was surprised he had one. I know its the 'IN' thing to do, wear pro sports jerseys as a politico. He just struck me as the kind who'd prefer to wear a Bills jersey but whaddya I know......?

I watched a short clip on yesterdays news where Mayor Ford admitted to drinking and driving. The scary thing? IT WAS NOT THE HIGHLIGHT of the days Ford highlights.

No that came a bit later. Ford defending himself by describing he wouldn't need to sexually harass women at work because he can have whatever he wants at home (paraphrasing).

My highlight? Watching MOST (not all but MOST) of City Council purposely turn their backs when Mayor Ford had anything to say.

My complaint? I'm going to have to track down Stephen Colbert's Ford bits. Jon Stewart has been apologetic at how easily Ford is providing him material. I'm not always a big Colbert fan but I definately want to see his 'coverage' of Mayor Ford......
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

FORD - Frequently Offending Repenting Daily
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.