Which neighbourhoods are busiest on Halloween night?

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

The Sun has an interesting graphic featuring self-reported data on which neighbourhoods through the Lower Mainland have the most trick-or-treaters. It may not seem like earth shattering stuff on the face of it but the accompanying article makes an interesting point. I've discussed before on this board how the social interconnectedness of a population plays a role in driving its social behaviours (e.g. attending football games) and in a similar fashion this article indicates that trick-or-treating data such as these can offer clues as to how socially interconnected a neighbourhood is. Now, I won't attempt to say anything from this graphic about which neighbourhoods have more Lions fans but it does strike me as an interesting social indicator nonetheless. Certainly one might suppose that neighbourhoods that get more kids have lower crime rates, for example.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/ma ... story.html

Excerpt:
The trick-or-treat count is the brainchild of Andy Yan, a researcher with BTA Works, the research arm of Bing Thom Architects.

In addition to being fun, Yan believes the count can also be a useful indicator of the social cohesion of a neighbourhood.

A neighbourhood with lots of trick-or-treaters is one where parents feel comfortable enough to let their kids knock on neighbours’ doors — and where those neighbours, in turn, feel connected enough to the kids to give them free candy.

“It’s one of the ongoing challenges for urban planning,” said Yan. “How do we ensure, as we grow all the cities in Metro Vancouver, that we have a level of family-friendliness.”

Urban design is also important, said Yan, with dense, pedestrian-friendly neighbourhoods being more trick-or-treat friendly than wide suburban lots or security-controlled highrises.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Any place followed by the word Mall or Town Centre
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Any place followed by the word Mall or Town Centre
That seems to be the trend these days. It's safe and dry for the kids.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Daylight savings sucks too. That is an extra hour I would have had to wait before it got dark enough to go out that I didn't have to usually wait for in my trick/treating days because 'falling back' was earlier. One less hour of trickortreating is one less hour of giving out candy so the Dentists will be happy......
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

hmmm...would it really make dentists happy if we all took purrfect care of our teeth??
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Spud387
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
Ya its disappointed as it is mostly from fear mongering rather than actual danger. As a kid I enjoyed going house to house with all the decorations, I can;t imagine how boring a mall would be
notahomer
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:hmmm...would it really make dentists happy if we all took purrfect care of our teeth??
I've NEVER met a dentist who was happy with how I take care of my teeth. I listen faithfully to their advice and WHAM, they find something else I'm not doing right. I get it, they are my teeth and I'll miss them when they are gone.

But you are right, they probably are happy candy is out there to keep their business flossing on by.......
Rammer
Team Captain

Spud387 wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
Ya its disappointed as it is mostly from fear mongering rather than actual danger. As a kid I enjoyed going house to house with all the decorations, I can;t imagine how boring a mall would be
In our neighbourhood the kids seem to be consistently participating in Halloween, the numbers rarely vary unless the weather isn't cooperating, still in the 120 - 150 over the 14 years we have been residing. I do like the idea of how the urban planning will take this into consideration, it makes total sense.
Entertainment value = an all time low