BC liquor laws

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

...may be progressing... into the 1900s.

http://www.insidevancouver.ca/2013/10/0 ... vancouver/
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

We in North America for some reason can't handle alcohol. It is unique here in HK that you buy every sort of alcohol in 711 and grocery stores and consume it in the street and mostly the only fighting you ever see is expats in Lan Kwan Fong - not locals very often.

Same in China but you see less public street beer and booze drinking as Chinese consider it impolite to do that in public. Some in HK feel that way too and connote it with workers who will sit outside 711.

Coaching mens' soccer in Canada every year had problems with the league getting parks board complaints as players and fans wanted a beer in the park.

Granted in HK here there is less driving needed post drinking as you can take public transit everywhere 24 x 7.

But why we get bad behaviour and drinking and driving leads to dumb liquor laws.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Laws are archaic here when it comes to the concept of "Happy Hour" which is well entrenched in Alberta. Over here whatever the price is to start the day must remain in place. What I've never understood is why pubs here don't use food in lieu of booze and have 1/2 price appys from 4 to 6 as a means of keeping folks around a bit longer. I used to spend quite a bit of time in Grande Prairie frequenting BJ's Q Club. They had a big heat lamp and would provide pizzas during their happy hour. Folks could wander up and grab a slice. When the pizza was gone another one would be served up. A person grabs a slice or two of that along the way and maybe they have another beer instead of going home right away.

Having said that maybe we're seeing some movement. At the Lions/Rider game and again the next night at the Canuck/Oiler game I was pleased to see you can now buy a beer in a can and take the can back your seat. No cup unless requested. Many benefits to that. Less risk of spillage. Amount of time it takes to serve a customer is greatly reduced equaling shorter, faster lineups. And as the guy at Rogers Arena pointed out there are environmental benefits when you think of how many plastic cups would be used unnecessarily every game. I'd been regularly using the little kiosk outside my section which usually was manned by 2 people with Bud or Stella being the only options because it was by far the fastest place to grab a beer at BCP. I see the price also dropped $.25 with the cups going away.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Laws are archaic here when it comes to the concept of "Happy Hour" which is well entrenched in Alberta. Over here whatever the price is to start the day must remain in place. What I've never understood is why pubs here don't use food in lieu of booze and have 1/2 price appys from 4 to 6 as a means of keeping folks around a bit longer. I used to spend quite a bit of time in Grande Prairie frequenting BJ's Q Club. They had a big heat lamp and would provide pizzas during their happy hour. Folks could wander up and grab a slice. When the pizza was gone another one would be served up. A person grabs a slice or two of that along the way and maybe they have another beer instead of going home right away.

Having said that maybe we're seeing some movement. At the Lions/Rider game and again the next night at the Canuck/Oiler game I was pleased to see you can now buy a beer in a can and take the can back your seat. No cup unless requested. Many benefits to that. Less risk of spillage. Amount of time it takes to serve a customer is greatly reduced equaling shorter, faster lineups. And as the guy at Rogers Arena pointed out there are environmental benefits when you think of how many plastic cups would be used unnecessarily every game. I'd been regularly using the little kiosk outside my section which usually was manned by 2 people with Bud or Stella being the only options because it was by far the fastest place to grab a beer at BCP. I see the price also dropped $.25 with the cups going away.
The problem with happy hours in car cultures like ours the only way home after work is in the car so you get more drinking and driving due to the cheaper prices. Even peds and bus takers have risks when impaired but behind the wheel is not smart.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I can't be specific but I've often seen half price or so appy's during Happy Hours..
Rammer
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:Laws are archaic here when it comes to the concept of "Happy Hour" which is well entrenched in Alberta. Over here whatever the price is to start the day must remain in place. What I've never understood is why pubs here don't use food in lieu of booze and have 1/2 price appys from 4 to 6 as a means of keeping folks around a bit longer. I used to spend quite a bit of time in Grande Prairie frequenting BJ's Q Club. They had a big heat lamp and would provide pizzas during their happy hour. Folks could wander up and grab a slice. When the pizza was gone another one would be served up. A person grabs a slice or two of that along the way and maybe they have another beer instead of going home right away.

You must recall the beer snake at the Bombers game, it was crazy long and you have to think that there is picture or two of that environmental worm.

Here it is... [video][/video]
Entertainment value = an all time low