Time for a sabbatical ...

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Time for a sabbatical.

Too old. Too tired. Too many disputes. Not enough energy.

This is a hobby for me. When it is no longer fun, it is time for a change, or a break.

Still a fan of the Lions. Players and coaches.

No more posting this year. Been posting steadily since 2006. Over 10,000 posts now. Will see about next year.

Best wishes to all Lions' fans.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Good luck, WCJ. Hope to see you again when you are rested up........
zark
Champion

I hear ya'.
This was a fun sight. I only check it occasionally, now. I was bashed too many times. Good luck, and have fun. :beauty:
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
ziggy
Legend

I hear you. Some folks taking themselves far too seriously. I found last year I was starting to dislike some of my fellow Lions fans based on their posts, not what they said, just the way they said it.Who needs the grief!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

That's too bad. WCJ... your posts I think are valued by everyone on this site. I don't see any who don't respect what you offer as you offer a lot.

It is the different insights that are good and yes, at times, all of us might be misinterpreted as to intent.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I thought we've been a fairly pleasant bunch lately after a couple of big wins. The negativity on any fan site can be a bit much after a loss but IMO the debates we get into about personnel, schemes and coaches are healthy as long as the disagreements aren't taken personally. I have great respect for WCJ, Blitz and others who share their insights and analysis here. Sometimes we agree, sometimes not, but that's OK.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I thought we've been a fairly pleasant bunch lately after a couple of big wins. The negativity on any fan site can be a bit much after a loss but IMO the debates we get into about personnel, schemes and coaches are healthy as long as the disagreements aren't taken personally. I have great respect for WCJ, Blitz and others who share their insights and analysis here. Sometimes we agree, sometimes not, but that's OK.
Well said BC FAN.

Overall I too think the debates are in good spirit and not too personal but at times slide over the edge a bit. I don't like to see any posters like WCJ who contribute a lot of value leave as it is all good things that are posted by him and he takes his own personal time to source stuff out.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

This is a discussion board and differing opinions are what make it move along, without differences, I don't really need to have a discussion and could just make a blog about my points of view on the Lions daily musings. Just look at how B.C.FAN can pull out stats that support his PoV's, I don't really care for stats, as I believe that they can just about always be flipped to support another PoV. However I like his solid approach to each of his posts, they represent a passion that shows his investment in the support of the Lions. WCJ, we always know that you attach yourself to players, and that is great, it is why people purchase uniforms with their favourite player nameplate.

Personally I think that this forum offers up a great discussion, from many differing perspectives and it is always appreciated by myself. I can't tell you how many years I spent watching gathering information prior to the internet about the Lions only to think that I was isolated (was in small town interior at the time and even when I moved to Calgary there wasn't much about the Lions until game week.), until I found this forum, it was and is my pipeline to the Lions information. Sometimes we need to vent after losses, gloat after wins, but most importantly support the Lions as arm chair QB's/GM's because we have a passion. Hope that you find the time to post, no one is expecting you have to, but a post every now and then will still be appreciated.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Rammer wrote:This is a discussion board and differing opinions are what make it move along, without differences, I don't really need to have a discussion and could just make a blog about my points of view on the Lions daily musings. Just look at how B.C.FAN can pull out stats that support his PoV's, I don't really care for stats, as I believe that they can just about always be flipped to support another PoV. However I like his solid approach to each of his posts, they represent a passion that shows his investment in the support of the Lions. WCJ, we always know that you attach yourself to players, and that is great, it is why people purchase uniforms with their favourite player nameplate.

Personally I think that this forum offers up a great discussion, from many differing perspectives and it is always appreciated by myself. I can't tell you how many years I spent watching gathering information prior to the internet about the Lions only to think that I was isolated (was in small town interior at the time and even when I moved to Calgary there wasn't much about the Lions until game week.), until I found this forum, it was and is my pipeline to the Lions information. Sometimes we need to vent after losses, gloat after wins, but most importantly support the Lions as arm chair QB's/GM's because we have a passion. Hope that you find the time to post, no one is expecting you have to, but a post every now and then will still be appreciated.
Great Post and i think this is a great site. After all, this is the internet and this site has way less flaming and trolling and way more knowledgeable posters than most sites. I also think we have a lot of lurkers who don't post but still enjoy the site and enjoy the insight that they get from our many knowledgeable posters.

WCJ, you will be missed.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

This probably serves as a good reminder for all of us that manners are never misplaced and that it is always possible to make a point without getting angry or insulting.

If I am guilty of that with any of you, I offer my apologies. I haven't met many of you but I feel that I have come to know you a little through this board. People leaving because it has become heavy or unpleasant is a sad outcome for all of us. Have a nice break WCJ. Your posts will be missed.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks, Guys.

Everything is fine.

I will enjoy reading your posts.

WCJ
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Enjoy your sabbatical, WCJ. I'd say your biggest impact on this board is the fact that it looks like you establish a pair of standard good practices on your posts that most members including me seems to follow: :good:

#1.
When changing topics within a single post, you would add a separation using a horizontal dashed line: ----------------------- :yes:

#2.
When updating and reviving an older thread, you'd also update the subject line accordingly as well. :wink:
But I don't know if I can do that if I didn't create the thread by being the first poster.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Enjoy your sabbatical, WCJ. I'd say your biggest impact on this board is the fact that it looks like you establish a pair of standard good practices on your posts that most members including me seems to follow: :good:

#1.
When changing topics within a single post, you would add a separation using a horizontal dashed line: ----------------------- :yes:

#2.
When updating and reviving an older thread, you'd also update the subject line accordingly as well. :wink:
But I don't know if I can do that if I didn't create the thread by being the first poster.
Thanks, Robbie.

Important stuff. Standard good practices. LOL

................. (Separation of topics by dotted line) :beauty:

As in this recent example ...
Blitz wrote:Love the line between your two topics notahomer...shows a high standard of posting.. :wink:
notahomer wrote: I think though Sheets is even more of an impact when he's gone.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Use of the quote function as well. :thup:
A useful technique when one starts to quote newspaper articles and sources, et cetera. We have seen plagiarism issues on here in years past. And there are copyright issues also.

The url could be included so that the newspaper can benefit from readership and subscribers.

And spelling of names is important. Like Manny Arceneaux. (Showing proper respect) :beauty:

Not presuming to instruct anyone on how to post. Consider it a teasing response to some "standard good practices" mentioned by Robbie.

This "retirement" is nice. No wondering about the validity of another's claimed football credentials, college, coaching et cetera.
JohnHenry
Champion

:popcorn: OK, that's a long enough hiatus, WCJ. We need you back! :cheer:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote::popcorn: OK, that's a long enough hiatus, WCJ. We need you back! :cheer:
Thanks, JohnHenry. :beer:

Appreciate the thought. :thup:

But not this year.

Stinker of a game. No running game. Pass protection poor. Didn't really get after Durant.

Team looked kind of complacent. We are back into the mix. It is tough out there.