Time for a sabbatical ...

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote::popcorn: OK, that's a long enough hiatus, WCJ. We need you back! :cheer:
X2

Would be nice to hear some of your perspective once the RedBlack changes start happening. That draft is ALREADY a common chatter point on playbyplay.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
JohnHenry wrote::popcorn: OK, that's a long enough hiatus, WCJ. We need you back! :cheer:
X2

Would be nice to hear some of your perspective once the RedBlack changes start happening. That draft is ALREADY a common chatter point on playbyplay.
Thanks, Guys.

I think the league is doing the Ottawa expansion the right way. Let the team be competitive. Seem to have good ownership. Nice to grow the league, but not too fast. Even Edmonton and Winnipeg are not far off from having good teams.

Calgary pounded the ball at the fast, light Bomber defence. Wear those greyhounds down. Down blocking (Angle blocking), with cutbacks. :thup:

IMO the quality of the players in the offensive lines of any pro team is high enough that an effective run blocking game can be taught. Not easy, but with dedication, and detailed planning, it is achievable.

Bye, bye Collaros, methinks. Off to Ottawa. Plus Tate or Mitchell. Early favourites.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I have been away for awhile and a noticeable change here is that Joe is nowhere to be found...does anyone know anything???

Thanks.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Spud387
Champion

MexicoLionFan
Legend

Thanks Spud...Joe I wish you would re consider, but I respect your wishes...my very, very best to you and ALL Lionsbackers...while I can be very passionate about the Leos and point out things that others don't want to say, I always try to respect the right of others to say whatever they wish...most here post very intelligent, insightful blogs that simply enhance the Lion's experience...

At the end of the day, its just a game...but its fun to take it seriously and banter back and forth...

Hopefully I will talk to you soon Joe!

MLF

Albert Einstein
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:Thanks Spud...Joe I wish you would re consider, but I respect your wishes...my very, very best to you and ALL Lionsbackers...while I can be very passionate about the Leos and point out things that others don't want to say, I always try to respect the right of others to say whatever they wish...most here post very intelligent, insightful blogs that simply enhance the Lion's experience...

At the end of the day, its just a game...but its fun to take it seriously and banter back and forth...

Hopefully I will talk to you soon Joe!

MLF
My sentiments too.

It is just a game and as long as the banter is intended to be put out there for discussion and not a personal attack - it's all good.

WCJ added much to the site and hopefully will return soon.

I think he might have taken some posts as attacks on him but from what I read I didn't see it that way. Just someone with a differing view.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote: ....WCJ added much to the site and hopefully will return soon......
X2------One thing I have tried to do is keep some of the threads WCJ, was good at staying on top of, going (as others seem to have done too). For example the post game stats/comments thread has been getting done eventually. I try to check out the CFL rating the teams (started/faithfully maintained by WCJ and ALWAYS considered by me). It is exactly the type of information WCJ (and Others!) have been great at providing. Exactly why I consider Lionbackers first source of information about my favourite CFL football team. Okay, favourite FOOTBALL team. Okay, forget that FAVOURITE TEAM, period!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks, Guys.

Everything is fine. As with many people, my intensity can lead to obsession. 10,000 posts since 2006. That is probably too many. I like to break habits on occasion.

Sir Purrcival phrased it well, in the Sabbatical thread, about something being "heavy or unpleasant." When that is the case, it is time to break the cycle.

My opinions don't hold back much. Although I don't recall ever calling for the outright dismissal of any coaches. I know how hard these guys work. And I know how little security they have. But ... they did choose professions in the public eye. That brings reaction. That brings judgment. Should fans just stand by loyally, not complaining, accepting mediocrity? I don't think so.

My opinions no doubt upset some people. And I don't mean them to have that effect. And, at my age, I don't look for argument, or even debate. Sometimes one inevitably feels obliged to defend an opinion. My opinions are what they are. Others can see things differently, and that is fine. People criticize players, and someone is offended. People criticize coaches, and someone is offended. That is going to happen.

I agree that, compared to other sites, this one is a model of decorum, filled with well thought out opinions, and respect for others. I would like to think that, as a Moderator, and frequent poster, I have contributed to that atmosphere. And, as a Moderator, I have "stuck my neck out" on occasion, when I felt a member was attacked beyond some undefined level.

MLF, I really enjoy your posts. They come from a point of view of experience, with a grasp of the realities. Holding nothing back. Someone has to say these things. Your passion for the Lions is obvious.

Toppy, I really enjoy your perspective, which comes also from great experience, in business and sports.

And notahomer, I greatly respect your outlook, your avoidance of conflict, your positive contributions, as well as your personal support.

As I said, everything is fine. I enjoy reading all the posts. I have my opinions on the team as well. LOL Lots of them, also from a deep well of experience. They will have to wait for another day. Strong minded people, strong willed people can often disagree, and get on the opposite side of issues. No hard feelings ...

Best wishes to all ...
Rammer
Team Captain

As I have witnessed on other sites, those that can debate and even have some little spats often meet each other and become good friends. This site allows alot of us to vent together and you have to give the 24 hour rule after a loss, the emotion that we all have can take over and things are said a little harsher than they normally would be.

Having said that, I am asking for an offensive scheme replacement, no need to incorporate a run game that is set to fail, and that is on JC, time to step up to the calibre of player that the Lions have on O.
Entertainment value = an all time low
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Well, if you felt like making one post a week to keep your "hands in it" we would all be the richer for it...thanks for taking the time to reply...you are a class act through and through!

Albert Einstein
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:Well, if you felt like making one post a week to keep your "hands in it" we would all be the richer for it...thanks for taking the time to reply...you are a class act through and through!
:good: :beer: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thank you, Guys.

It is appreciated.

Relative values. At some point the desire to once again express an opinion on this team might rise again, I suppose. At some point a sense of fun about it might return.

I don't want to win any debates or arguments. In fact, I have zero interest in arguments or debates. No one convinces another to change their mind. No one wins, except possibly in their own minds. There is almost always some merit to both sides of an issue. I don't want to challenge another's opinion. It is certainly possible for fans on either side of an issue to take offence at another's criticism of a coach or player. It is certainly possible for disagreements online to seem a lot like disagreements in the world outside of the internet. Disagreeing parties sometimes try to assume the higher moral ground. LOL

So since I am not interested in arguments or debates, it makes more sense to be a casual reader at this time.

Coaches. Players. Schemes. Execution. X's and O's. Personnel. Drafting. Developing players. Motivating. Adapting to changes.

All of it is interesting. And, like everyone else, of course, I have opinions on all of it. When you make 10,000 posts, you do set yourself up for some arguments, debates or even disagreements. And continuing with that holds no interest for me. This was time to back off a bit.

So, for me ... Watch the team. Watch the games. Read the newspapers and the internet articles. Read the opinions on here.

I do believe that criticism from the fans is essential to the health of a pro sports organization. So I would be disappointed if this board turned into an uncritical cheering section. Coaches and players choose their careers. Feedback from the fans, both praise and criticism, is part of the package.

In the long run wins and losses make the ultimate judgments on who stays with a team. We are 9 and 7. We could finish anywhere from 9 and 9 to 11 and 7. Neither result is particularly satisfying. Have teams passed us by? Maybe. Have they passed us by as we stood still? Maybe. One could certainly present a case. Could we go on a roll and win it all? Maybe, but very unlikely, and against extreme odds. Could we slide more next year? Strong possibility. Injuries? They happen to every team. The best teams roll on.

Someone in the organization should be accountable for the failure to develop NI O Line depth and talent in the 11 years of this regime. IMO any and every professional football team should be able to teach the run game and pass protection. No excuses. Morale problems, discontent, disconnect between players and coaches, and lack of motivation are all bad signs. Schemes, game planning, play calling. These areas have been discussed endlessly. And it is not as if our guys are not trying. I have suggested all year that the bar has risen in the CFL, with the level of coaching. Adaptation is essential. Pierce, Wilson, Logan? Wally making some moves to shake things up.

Wally is a survivor. He is loyal to his long serving coaches. But he will make changes if he sees the necessity. He has always relied on assistants for most of the X's and O's. He has given up the HC role. The team is underachieving, according to preseason media evaluations. Wally won't be happy with a quick exit from the playoffs. And we don't want to stay middle of the pack. We will see how things shake out.

And, once again ... Thank you for the thoughtful comments. They are very much appreciated. :thup:

Enjoying the posts of all the Lionbackers. Just a reader at this time.
Tighthead
Legend

Much like Joe, I kind of just stopped posting. I just wasn't getting much out of it, and that is more about me than the site. I've taken a big step back from being a somewhat regular poster.

I still am a fan of lb and have nothing but good feelings about the site, but I don't really miss posting and discussing.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Joe, as you mentioned throughout this season, its pretty clear that many staffs around the league have moved ahead of ours...Stubler is a HOF DC, IMO, but even Rich is having huge challenges with the incredibly bright offensive minds around the league...as for our OC, OLine Coach and ST Coach, I think these are very poor representations of what is strong, innovative and current in the league...changes have to be made.

And as I have mentioned for than once, Kelly Bates is an extremely bright guy and has a great future ahead of him...Kelly's time has come for the Lions...

Albert Einstein
almo89
Legend

Nice to hear that WCJ still lurks and makes the odd post. I think we have one of the best forums. I like the small community feel compared to something like CDC which is just filled with angry teenagers. For the most part, we have really passionate people here that bring up good discussion points. I prefer this over CDC or the Rider's forum. Although the Rider's forum fun to read just to get a laugh.