Train derailment and explosion in Lac-Megantic

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Carrying dangerous goods through the middle of town should never have been allowed in the first place. What were the politicians thinking ?
It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of situation. While I agree it is dangerous and precautions must be better, these towns like this would die if they didn't have that freight traffic parked there.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Carrying dangerous goods through the middle of town should never have been allowed in the first place. What were the politicians thinking ?
It would not surprise me if the RR has been there for a very long time and the town has grown up around it. RR are very often very near the centre of towns. The same issue with regards to things like the Chevron refinery in North Burnaby. That could well be an accident waiting to happen but the refinery has been there forever and the density in Burnaby has gone up in the last 50 years. It was probably pretty empty in the area when the refinery was built.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

kinda reminds me of how farms or business that create a lot of smell or noise exist out in the boonies, then a residencial area is developed around it and people buy, move in, then have to nerve to complain about the business.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yep, Airport, same thing.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:kinda reminds me of how farms or business that create a lot of smell or noise exist out in the boonies, then a residencial area is developed around it and people buy, move in, then have to nerve to complain about the business.
Heard some bellyaching from Condo owners regarding the railway using the shunting yard at all hours of the night/day. Railways been there for decades.....

One thing that is a regular complaint is a rendering plant at Commercial/Hastings. During the summer the smell in the area is just AWFUL and I'm always glad I don't live near there.
Spud387
Champion

I dunno about you guys but I could really go for some ice cream and nachos and chocolate and... And...
Right about now ;)
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Spud387 wrote:I dunno about you guys but I could really go for some ice cream and nachos and chocolate and... And...
Right about now ;)
Um, I think this belongs in my thread about eating poorly after your team loses.

Or does it? :dizzy:

*Checks time stamp*

Ah, now I get it, you must have posted before we took the lead for good.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Spud387 wrote:I dunno about you guys but I could really go for some ice cream and nachos and chocolate and... And...
Right about now ;)
Um, I think this belongs in my thread about eating poorly after your team loses.

Or does it? :dizzy:

*Checks time stamp*

Ah, now I get it, you must have posted before we took the lead for good.
Actually think it could work in this thread too, IMO. That first quarter did feel kinda like a train derailment at times. And I was thinking about getting up early to stock up on chips/icecream at Costco. Now, I think I'll start tomorrow off with a jog through Stanley Park..... :wink: