New $5 and $10 polymer bills unveiled

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/ ... ada-bills/

I've never liked that "Canada" font — too casual looking. And is it just me or does Laurier look more like Peter Mansbridge here? I'm not sure I would have recognised our 7th PM outside of this context. Also, I find it somewhat amusing that the map of Canada on the $10 bill cuts off most of southern Ontario.

Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I don't mind getting the other bills ($100, $50, $20's) in my change but a lot of people seem to hate them. They do have a habit of sticking together but not a problem I've had myself yet.

I loved your comment about Mansbridge, and YOU'RE RIGHT. Now that you mentioned it, the bill does look like him......

I'm just glad I haven't (myself anyway) had to listen to blind babble saying these changes to the currency will stop counterfeiting FOREVER. Even the last edition (pre-polymer) wouldn't say something that is obviously not true because the fake bills still seem to be getting made. I still believe I have not EVER gotten/passed a counterfeit bill but apparently those odds are against me. In other words, I have not KNOWINGLY passed such a bill but counterfeiters are always keeping up and finding ways, so I'm sure someday in someway, I MAY have gotten a fake bill (If I did it was good enough to fool me and whomever took it as currency). Wonder how long until fake polymer bills start showing up? DO they have a currency checker machine for the polymer bills like the models they've sold for other versions of uncounterfeitable bills?
Rammer
Team Captain

Dreaded this day when all our bills will stick together, be very conscious of making payments with them, as they do stick together. I agree on the counterfeiting aspect, you move the bar higher, but technology seems to follow closely enough to allow those that want to counterfeit bills, have the means to do so. It is only a matter of time.
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Dreaded this day when all our bills will stick together, be very conscious of making payments with them, as they do stick together. I agree on the counterfeiting aspect, you move the bar higher, but technology seems to follow closely enough to allow those that want to counterfeit bills, have the means to do so. It is only a matter of time.
That time has come/gone. On Friday, I watched a news story (Global, IIRC) where they showed good quality FAKES of the new polymer bills. They are missing (the FAKES) some $100 holograms and a hologram of the flag tower but otherwise were seen as 'good' fakes, whatever that means.......