Ritch Dowrey - 2 Years Later

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:The attacker should be charged with murder.
The law may or may not allow for such remedy, I don't know. It's been almost six years since that fateful night. At any rate I think the onus would be on the prosecution to prove it. Would Ritch's family want to have this dragged through court all over again? Again, I don't know. To the extent that they have options and whatever these happen to be, the choice should be theirs to make on how to proceed from here.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I don't know if this is the proper thread to pose this question, but I have never seen it addressed.

that is, if this pub is a known gay place, what was a gay hater doing there in the first place. seems to me he went looking for trouble.

Murder or not, should have received more years.

as for Ritch, the closest I got to anything personal with him was around when I first signed up here. I mentioned that I didn't go to many games and he got all over me for it. Eventually I managed to express my reasons enough that all was well between us. I am glad he was so well liked by those that knew him and it is a sad situation indeed.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
MacNews
Team Captain

I don't see how 2 years for an assault that left someone in a care home is an appropriate sentence.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

It was actually 6 but with the discounts you get in the system either preconviction or with time served, it never amounts to as much as we all think it should. Ritch didn't die that day but in many ways he did. He certainly didn't get to enjoy his retirement, he wasn't the same person afterwards and he didn't live a long and healthy life. I didn't know him except though some of posts on various boards but in too many ways that count, he was gone and his body didn't know it.

I would love to see the guy sentenced to live the life that Ritch did after the attack. That seems the most fair in my mind. I won't wish him ill because I don't want the bad karma but if he was to get hit by a street car, I wouldn't shed any tears.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote: I would love to see the guy sentenced to live the life that Ritch did after the attack. That seems the most fair in my mind. I won't wish him ill because I don't want the bad karma but if he was to get hit by a street car, I wouldn't shed any tears.
That would indeed be justice.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:The attacker should be charged with murder.
The law may or may not allow for such remedy, I don't know. It's been almost six years since that fateful night. At any rate I think the onus would be on the prosecution to prove it. Would Ritch's family want to have this dragged through court all over again? Again, I don't know. To the extent that they have options and whatever these happen to be, the choice should be theirs to make on how to proceed from here.
You cannot be tried twice for the same crime.

Letting out that early was a travesty by the parole board given the severity of the injuries. The family would have been notified of the hearing if I got that right.

As to a known gay pub, it is not exactly that as I recall. It is mixed and you don't know who is who there. I used to watch World Cup games in that area over lunch at various bars there. The attacker has clearly some issues.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy