WHEN is Wally going to give Buck the PUNT?

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

10, 11, 12, 13.....er,......oops.

Nevermind at least they have a great GM, er.....oops

How about those Sedins? ;)
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

nothin wrong with Buck a few bionics wouldnt fix

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him.....
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
sports & stuff----ric
Champion

we are not punting buck anywhere :thdn:

he played a few great games since his last concussion, winning the friday night glatiator and player of the week if im not mistaken. The problem at the end of the season was his shoulder that seems to tighten up. I believe his head was ok after using the new helmet? He took lots of shots after putting that helmet on. Im sure he is working on the shoulder in the off season doing whatever he can to keep it healthy. There is know doult we cant keep all our QBs because of the $$. I think they may come to camp with all and make a move before the season starts? If buck is the odd man out it will be because of the injury factor but he will play somewhere for sure! Good luck in 2010 Buck! :cheer: :cheer:
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Do you really think a new helmet will prevent any player from getting a concussion? If it was that simple, every player in the CFL and NFL would be wearing one.

If he plays, I hope he doesn't get hurt. Football isn't worth that risk.
Spud387
Champion

Blue In BC wrote:Do you really think a new helmet will prevent any player from getting a concussion? If it was that simple, every player in the CFL and NFL would be wearing one.
Do you know anything about sports and the equipment athletes wear? Think of football, hockey or most any sports. Players wear the same old **** that they have been since junior and usually only change if they are tossed a boat load of money through sponsorship. This is because they are used to it, it is broken is and they know they can perform in it. Why do you think many of the players aren't wearing the new helmets? Why do you think luongo wear a RBK P1 chest protector or Broduer wear some old DR chest protector that doesn't exist anymore? Why do you think Biron's goalie skates are so old that he has to use multiple rolls of tape on each foot for each game to tape his ankles so his skates don't fall apart? See -> How about Chris Osgood and his SK2000 (i believe it is called) helmet. It has been scientifically proven that it is greatly more dangerous can the current goalie mask style, yet he refuses to switch.

Players wear what they are used to and be dammed if it isn't as safe.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I know enough to know that better equipment is better but it will not prevent all injuries.

Concussions are cumulative and Buck's had too many. He's had some shoulder injuries as well and that is a risk but at least it doesn't impact his " head ".

He's a probable candidate for another concussion, especially when you consider the way he plays.

It's too big a risk IMHO. Good talent, but I hope he retires.
Spud387
Champion

Blue In BC wrote:I know enough to know that better equipment is better but it will not prevent all injuries.

Concussions are cumulative and Buck's had too many. He's had some shoulder injuries as well and that is a risk but at least it doesn't impact his " head ".

He's a probable candidate for another concussion, especially when you consider the way he plays.

It's too big a risk IMHO. Good talent, but I hope he retires.
Ok, ya new equipment might not prevent all injuries, but some definitely helps reduce it.

I am a goalie and I own 2 chest protectors, a Bauer Supreme from the mid 90's and a Vaughn v3 7500. The Bauer is old, entry level and is closer to a baseball catcher's protector than a current goalie's. The Vaughn is senior level, was custom ordered from Vaughn and built like a tank. I still wear my Bauer for inline and refused to wear my new Vaughn for a full year in games simply because I was used to my old one and could perform better. It takes a while to adjust to new gear. So even me, playing it for fun, would rather suffer pain and some wicked bruising by wearing under protective gear because it gave me a competitive edge. Someone who's performance determines their paycheck is going to wear what allows them to play their best game.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Just checking stats: Pierce played in 13 games in 2008 and 11 in 2009 ( where he threw for more than 5 passes ). I know there were some games he started and was " out " very quickly due to injury.

23 of 36 games in 2 seasons, with less games last year than the year before.

I don't know how many he dressed for, but those were the games he seemed to be the QB with he most activity.

That's not a good % for a starting QB. Aside from the " glass " aspect his play, it's the type of injuries which I think even fans have to be concerned about.

Geez. If he could stay healthy and we could be sure he wasn't at risk of permanent injury, I'd be happy to have a QB of his skill in Winnipeg.

It's a lot for any team to risk for their success having the # 1 guy an injury risk, both financially and from a roster point of view.

Morally, at some point doesn't a team have to say when enough is enough. I wonder what his doctors say.

I cringe every time he plays and gets hit.
Rammer
Team Captain

Like Lumsden, BP may have to sign a contract that only places the club on the line for his salary for games played.
Entertainment value = an all time low
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Like Lumsden, BP may have to sign a contract that only places the club on the line for his salary for games played.
I dont think I would like that because he would still be taking up a QB spot that could cost us a possible future great.

However, for his own sake, more than for the lions, he really needs to retire. Dunnigan and Dickensen need to take him off to a corner somewhere and convince him of that.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

It wouldn't surprise me to see Lumsden forced to retire. A bad shoulder is not quality of life threatening as a post concussion syndrome. However, he lasted about 7 minutes in 2009 and about 4 plays after 6 months of re-hab.

Lumsden had a hefty salary and as a NI in a ratio breaking role, that was worthwile. Healthy, he's an exciting player.

He's NEVER been healthy. Import RB's are not that difficult to find and the Esks found Whitlock.

Some players are just injury prone for whatever reason. Those guys should be doing something else for a living.
Leothelion
All Star

I predict that Casey will play like he did in the eastern final. I see no reason to be excited about Casey.

leo
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Like Lumsden, BP may have to sign a contract that only places the club on the line for his salary for games played.
There would still have to be a base salary and if he gets hurt, it make be free from SMS, but it's still part of overhead.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Leothelion wrote:I predict that Casey will play like he did in the eastern final. I see no reason to be excited about Casey.

leo
Your comment reminds me of what Tony Gallagher repeated a few times before the hockey season started... "Where are the goals going to come from? How is this team gonna score goals.. their offense leaves you with nothing to get excited about"

There are lessons to be learned.
Leothelion
All Star

comparing the lions situation with tony is stupid. He knows nothing. the canucks always were going to be better than he predicted. No lessons to be learned about the lions. they will flop this year.

leo