Ritch Dowrey - 3rdDown in dire condition

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Who knows why such a vicious attack would take place?

The accused may have been dealing with issues of his own sexual identity.

A tragedy for the Dowrey family. No matter the legal outcome, Ritch will not get his life back.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

We were at the courthouse this morning for the verdict, however it has been pushed back another day.

Wednesday at 9:30 AM at the Provincial courthouse on Main and Cordova, room 513

For anyone wanting to show support for Ritch.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Ballistic Bob
Legend

CKNW Local News

Woodward guilty
VANCOUVER/CKNW AM 980
Nafeesa Karim | Email news tips to Nafeesa
8/11/2010

The man accused of sucker-punching a gay man at a Davie Street pub has been found guilty of aggravated assault.

Provincial court Judge Jocelyn Palmer took over an hour to deliver her verdict against 37 year old Shawn Woodward.

Woodward was charged after an attack on 62 year old Ritchie Dowrey at the Fountainhead Pub in March 2009.

The victim has permanent brain damage.

The courtroom was packed with friends and family of the victim.

At least 30 people had to stand in the back.

Woodward tried to claim Dowrey tried to touch his crotch before the punch was thrown, but the judge says Woodward created that story to justify the outrageous assault.
Wear orange or wear nothing
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

We were there, the judge called him a liar and chastised his attorney for his conduct.

Very bittersweet. Glad that justice prevailed, but heartbroken for Ritch and his family. Hopefully they can begin to move forward.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

When will sentencing happen?
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

October 22
D
Team Captain

Sentencing in this case has been pushed to Nov. 8th

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Activis ... story.html
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Shawn Woodward gets 6 years.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... shing.html

A Vancouver judge has sentenced a construction worker to six years in prison for sucker-punching a gay man in a West End pub last year, causing serious brain damage. The judge ruled that hate was an aggravating factor in the crime.

At last month's sentencing hearing, Shawn Woodward's lawyer asked for a sentence of two years, telling the court his client does not hate gay people and overreacted in an effort to prove his manliness.

But prosecutors argued that Woodward's blind-side punch should be considered a hate crime, and asked for a sentence of at least seven years in prison for the aggravated assault conviction.

During the trial in August, Woodward, 37, admitted punching Richard Dowrey, 62, in the Fountainhead Pub on Davie Street in March 2009. Woodward maintained Dowrey was making unwanted sexual advances toward him at the bar and argued the punch was thrown in self-defence.

Dowrey was knocked to the concrete floor by the punch and suffered a brain injury that has left him unable to feed or dress himself since.

Patrons at the pub, which is in the heart of Vancouver's gay district, chased Woodward and held him for police. At the trial, they testified he used homophobic slurs after the attack and claimed Dowrey had offered him a drink and touched him.

The judge found Woodward guilty after ruling that his testimony was not credible and that there was no sexual assault.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Thinking of you Ritch :thup:
D
Team Captain

6 years and he'll serve what 2 years .. 3?, he's not really a high risk offender so probably serve his time in a min security prison with a golf course. The bottom line is Ritch's life will never be the same and this guy could do life in a maximum security prison and there would still be no justice in a case like this.

Hopefully enough publicity has been generated to prevent this from happening to someone else.
I own The Grey Cup! .com