Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

AC/DC Rocks
Champion

Ritch, here's hoping your recovery is still going well dude! :good:
Bighill is Badass
David
Team Captain

Here is the latest on Ritch as reported in today's Sunday Province. I wish the news were better, but at least he's still with us and will hopefully continue to make progress:

Punched CFL fan still serious

By Cheryl Chan, The ProvinceJune 21, 2009

The victim of an alleged gay-bashing at a Davie Street pub remains in hospital with serious brain injuries.

Ritch Dowrey, a 62-year-old avid CFL and Lions fan, was allegedly sucker-punched into a coma at Fountainhead pub in March, leaving friends and fellow football fans across Canada saddened by his absence on online forums. "We're absolutely going to miss him," said Brian Wawryshyn, who runs bclionsden.ca. "It's his favourite time of the year. There's not many people who know more about the CFL than Ritch." Said one poster on lionbackers.com, where Dowrey was a regular poster: "The off-season isn't the same without him posting on all the websites . . . Get well soon, Ritch. We know you can do it." A full recovery, however, is unlikely, said friend Lindsay Wincherauk, who witnessed the attack. "It changed his life. It's pretty horrific for everyone involved." Wincherauk said he mentioned the upcoming pre-season games to Dowrey recently. "I don't know if it really registered, but I like to think it did." Dowrey, who has shrunk into a gaunt 90 pounds on a five-foot-11 frame, remains confined to a bed or a wheelchair at Vancouver General Hospital.

He can talk, but 95 per cent of what he says is incoherent. He has trouble recognizing people and doing physiotherapy because he can't understand the instructions.

His alleged attacker, Shawn Woodward, had his arraignment hearing adjourned for the fourth time on Thursday. No plea has been entered. He is slated to appear in Vancouver Provincial Court on July 9.

chchan@theprovince.com

© Copyright (c) The Province
Roar, You Lions, Roar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I wonder what impact it would have if MR Woodward looked around and saw the courtroom packed with lions players\personel and\or fans, all wearing lions jerseys.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:I wonder what impact it would have if MR Woodward looked around and saw the courtroom packed with lions players\personel and\or fans, all wearing lions jerseys.
great idea!
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Dan_Payne_fan!! wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:I wonder what impact it would have if MR Woodward looked around and saw the courtroom packed with lions players\personel and\or fans, all wearing lions jerseys.
great idea!
It would be unwise to do that as it might be interpreted by the Sheriff service doing court room security and the presiding judge and court officials as somewhat of a threat if a large crowd of jersey wearing folks turned up and nothing is worse in a court room than extra tension based on who the audience is. Court room security is always a huge issue these days and it would not be cool if they viewed Lion fans and friends of the victim as possible threats. I know that the Hells Angels would not be welcome in a provincial court wearing their "colors" (not that they would as they always clean up real nice for the judge).

The idea of showing support for a friend is good. Not so sure it should be the court room.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Gerry
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Dan_Payne_fan!! wrote:
great idea!
It would be unwise to do that as it might be interpreted by the Sheriff service doing court room security and the presiding judge and court officials as somewhat of a threat if a large crowd of jersey wearing folks turned up and nothing is worse in a court room than extra tension based on who the audience is. Court room security is always a huge issue these days and it would not be cool if they viewed Lion fans and friends of the victim as possible threats. I know that the Hells Angels would not be welcome in a provincial court wearing their "colors" (not that they would as they always clean up real nice for the judge).

The idea of showing support for a friend is good. Not so sure it should be the court room.
Unwise? Bull. Wearing a jersey is a threat now?

Give me a break. If I know when the date is, I'll go in my jersey.

I may even pack a stapler.
Enough is enough.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It may seem unreasonable but they do suggest the following in BC courts and I know that audience members have been refused entry as I noted above. I am not talking about one person but an entire court room audience. The Sheriff service monitors and prepares for high profile cases as they don't want trouble or violence. Not sure what you need the stapler for but if it makes your day I assume that will be fine too.

BC court "Protocols"

Members of the public do not have to wear anything special, but if you own business-like clothing, it’s a good idea to wear it when you come to court. This is a way to show the judge that you respect the court process and that you understand that a court is a more formal setting."
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I think behavior would be more of an issue. As long as all were quiet and respectfull, no cheering\jeering or yelling threats\insults to the defendant, then I dont see a bunch of lions jerseys being a problem
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Gerry wrote:
Unwise? Bull. Wearing a jersey is a threat now?

Give me a break. If I know when the date is, I'll go in my jersey.

I may even pack a stapler.
Gerry, I want to see this POS thrown in the slammer - and for a long time, to be sure. But TV does have a point. Besides, July 9 is just for entering plea. Assuming this a**hole gets convicted, a show of jerseys at the sentencing phase might be more effective.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

The most effective thing would be for Ritch himself to talk to the judge or just be there on sentencing day.
smphantom
Legend

Gerry wrote:I may even pack a stapler.
:rotf: LMAO
Stay thirsty my friends.
MacNews
Team Captain

It's time to see what the justice system is made of.

The accused has made his move, now it is the court's turn to call...or fold.
prairiedog
Rookie

Wear a collar and tie under your jersey, or a blazer over it and a team cap on top. Fill up the back row or two and don't say a word. :thumbup:
ziggy
Legend

Lionheart wrote:The most effective thing would be for Ritch himself to talk to the judge or just be there on sentencing day.
Probably the best idea. A Victim Impact Statement in this case by him or family members should have a real chance of swaying the severity of the sentencing.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

*Sigh* I had hoped to hear better news on Ritch. The tragic reality of brain injury is that progress for Ritch will be slow, and success will come in small increments. No one ever has a "full recovery" from significant brain injury - it changes people, and even in less severe cases than this it leaves lingering effects even on people who outwardly appear fine. I will keep praying for continued progress for Ritch, and for justice to be served in court.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."