Ritch Dowrey - 3rdDown in dire condition

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Hi everyone, I was able to visit Ritch last night and it was an encouraging visit.

As earlier reported he is out of his coma, but for the most part still non-responsive.

When I arrived Ritch was sleeping. Soon after he woke up and when I started to talk to him, he turned his head and looked at me. I can't tell you how great that felt. I even thought I saw an effort to smile at one point. I gave him a thumbs up and started rattling off names of people who were thinking of him and pulling for him across the country. I talked about football to him. Held the Lions jersey the team brought in front of him. At times he seemed to respond to my voice, other times he did not. He can't follow you across the room with his eyes.

Overall this is a huge improvement, but again I stress he has a long way to go. I am not sure if he knew who I was or understood what I was saying, only that he could hear me and acknowledged my presence my turning his head to look at me. I bellowed a couple Bwaaaaaaaaanaaaaaas to keep the fight going inside him.

I have been told this morning by a family member that he smiled at the nurse this morning. That's our Ritch, always making the best of things!

Unfortunately I can't make it to tonight's gathering, but I have been told his brother will be in attendance, and should have a further update on his status for those in attendance.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

OrangeShoes99 wrote:Hi everyone, I was able to visit Ritch last night and it was an encouraging visit.

As earlier reported he is out of his coma, but for the most part still non-responsive.

When I arrived Ritch was sleeping. Soon after he woke up and when I started to talk to him, he turned his head and looked at me. I can't tell you how great that felt. I even thought I saw an effort to smile at one point. I gave him a thumbs up and started rattling off names of people who were thinking of him and pulling for him across the country. I talked about football to him. Held the Lions jersey the team brought in front of him. At times he seemed to respond to my voice, other times he did not. He can't follow you across the room with his eyes.

Overall this is a huge improvement, but again I stress he has a long way to go. I am not sure if he knew who I was or understood what I was saying, only that he could hear me and acknowledged my presence my turning his head to look at me. I bellowed a couple Bwaaaaaaaaanaaaaaas to keep the fight going inside him.

I have been told this morning by a family member that he smiled at the nurse this morning. That's our Ritch, always making the best of things!

Unfortunately I can't make it to tonight's gathering, but I have been told his brother will be in attendance, and should have a further update on his status for those in attendance.
Hi Brian Thnx for the update. Ill send your regards tonight. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
D
Team Captain

Thanks for the update ... Good news indeed

Way to Fight Ritch :cheer:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
zark
Champion

D wrote:as per this thread http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =2&t=16788

Seeing as nobody other than brian is able to see Ritch at this time a bunch of us will be gathering for a few beer at the pub the attack happened at Ya I know it's a gay bar but it is a way for us to get together and send Ritch some Karma. If you can't be tolerant and accepting it's better that you don't show up however if you can make it the more the merrier

here is a link to the pubs website http://www.thefountainheadpub.com/ the address is 1025 Davie Street

Friday will be 2 weeks after the incident, there is also a PPV Canuck game at 6 which would have us in the same pub exactly 2 weeks after the attack. I dunno the lord works in mysterious ways maybe this can help.

Wear some Lions or CFL gear so we can recognise each other
It's not a gay pub. It's a pub next to the gay community and ST Pauls hospital. You can mingle with the gay community and you wouldn't even know it unless your hung up about it. You'll see when you get there. The pub is not an issue.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
D
Team Captain

thanks for the update, I was just going by what the newspapers reported .... i should know better than that :hmm:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
D
Team Captain

All things considered that was fun, it was also nice to get a 1st hand update on Ritch from his family.
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

D wrote:All things considered that was fun, it was also nice to get a 1st hand update on Ritch from his family.
How is his family doing? Are they feeling more optimistic now?
D
Team Captain

Blue In BC wrote:
D wrote:All things considered that was fun, it was also nice to get a 1st hand update on Ritch from his family.
How is his family doing? Are they feeling more optimistic now?
Definately .... he is now awake, not Fully coherant but making progress that progress has given them renewed hope :rockin:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Ballistic Bob
Legend

hi I just got off the phone with VGH. I couldnt get any info. Rich is under a No Information guideline. Much different than last week when i got transfered to his floor. Anyone have more news. Thnx Bob
Wear orange or wear nothing
D
Team Captain

I just got back from seeing Ritch, This is the first time I have seen him. he was out of bed sitting in a wheel chair. It took a moment but I think he recognized me, he cracked a few smiles and his eyes lit up from time to time. He seemed to enjoy the flames losing last night and the Canucks haveing a chance to take first place. And the football hat I brought ... hehe he always liked that hat and now it's his. I think he tried to talk a few times but he can't because he has a thing in his throat. I think they are hoping to remove the thing in his throat in a week to 2 weeks as they move him to another ward. His hands remained clenched in front of him, he moves his right foot a lot like he has an itch or he wants his leg in shape for training camp.

As many of you know it's not a great sight to see a friend in that condition but based on what I have heard and now seen Ritch is fighting and progressing slowly but surely. Keep him in your thoughts and prayers .... :cheer: Let's Go Turd :cheer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I own The Grey Cup! .com
MacNews
Team Captain

Thanks for the update Derek!! It is really encouraging to see every update get a little bit better..hopefully Ritch will continue to improve and be ready for July 1st. :beer:
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Are other people allowed to visit now?
D
Team Captain

Blue In BC wrote:Are other people allowed to visit now?
no he is still in icu
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

That's great news D.

To others, I was able to see Ritch on tuesday. I had about the same experience sans wheelchair!.. No doubt he is responding and trying to communicate at least on the inside... I was able to talk to his surgeon and he's sure he will recover and leave the hospital (lets assume that there are no assurances on anything), with the usual caveats especially short term memory.
Rammer
Team Captain

Lionheart wrote:That's great news D.

To others, I was able to see Ritch on tuesday. I had about the same experience sans wheelchair!.. No doubt he is responding and trying to communicate at least on the inside... I was able to talk to his surgeon and he's sure he will recover and leave the hospital (lets assume that there are no assurances on anything), with the usual caveats especially short term memory.
This is good news, glad to see the improvements on Ritch's behalf. I am looking forward to his appearance around the TG's, that and the message boards are where he excelled in his own version. Prayers still going out for Ritch, keep on moving the yardsticks.
Entertainment value = an all time low