Ritch Dowrey - 3rdDown in dire condition

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Gerry
Legend

D wrote:

Coquitlam resident Derek Dale, who runs the fan forums lionbackers.com and 13thman.com, said he knows Dowrey through the message boards and they have met at pregame tailgate parties outside B.C. Place Stadium.

"He could be pretty confrontational -- I kicked him off both my sites -- but that doesn't mean I didn't like him in person," Dale said.
Gotta say I'm pissed off at this ...I don't know why the writer would put that in there ... yes I said it but I also said a bunch of nice things about Rich that didn't get put in the article.

I hope Rich is doing better, it is a senseless act and this sort of thing shouldn't happen to anyone. Get well soon Rich
Great pic, Derek. They say that a picture is worth a thousand words. In this case it's worth many more, especially those of a reporter who took something out of context. People who know you both know how things are.
Enough is enough.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Good on you Brian for spear heading our feelings. Thnx BB
Last edited by Ballistic Bob on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wear orange or wear nothing
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:I did contact VGH and got ( William) Richard sons # and brothers #. Good on you Brian for spear heading our feelings. If anyone wants these #s pm me. Thnx BB
Hi everyone, I just wanted to say that at this time, I don't think the family wants to get a bunch of phone calls. The impression I got from Allan was that the family is drained emotionally right now. They also have a 90 year old mother who they are dealing with and trying to keep grounded at this tough time.

As I said in my statement that Gerry posted, for now the family has asked me to be the conduit for Ritch's CFL friends, so if there is something you want me to read to Ritch, feelings that you want expressed, or encouraging words, please email me and the next time I go I will read it to Ritch. I just got lucky yesterday when I called for an update and got to speak to Allan, who got me into see him today.

The family knows there are a lot of people out here that care about him and want to know how he is. But right now there isn't a lot any of us can do except send good vibes and pray for Ritch.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Rammer
Team Captain

Wow, just got back into town and had Pam read the newspaper headline to me, what a terrible situation. Our prayers will be out for a full and speedy recovery for Ritch.

I am glad that the idiot that did this was caught and is being brought to justice, as that will provide some relief for his family here.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

D wrote:
D wrote:

Gotta say I'm pissed off at this ...I don't know why the writer would put that in there ... yes I said it but I also said a bunch of nice things about Rich that didn't get put in the article.

I hope Rich is doing better, it is a senseless act and this sort of thing shouldn't happen to anyone. Get well soon Rich
I'd like to add that Rich is confrontational or controverstial "ONLINE" but he is a very nice guy in person ... the nicest in person and is never a rowdy, bully or physical threat to anyone in person. I wasn't trying to imply that Rich did something confrontational in the situation in this pub. What has happened makes no sense on so many levels. Rich is a GREAT Guy and when CFL fans from across the country come to town for a game 3rdDown is one of the guys they not only want to meet .... he's on the "MUST MEET" or "gotta see while I'm in town" List.

I also called him stubborn it's a compliment .... the picture I attached is him and I BOTH being stubborn. We were at the first tailgater of the 03 Season ... we had already tailgated the lot under the Cambie Street bridge for 2 years without any incidents. The first game of the season some impark suit shows up and shut down the festivities they had an issue with the BBQ .... Impark had asked me to shut down the BBQ or leave and I said sure give me a refund and I'm out of here .... they said OK ... I waited 30mins for a refund then gave up and decided to fire up the BBQ. All the other tailgaters around left scared that they would be in trouble. When I decided to fire up the BBQ there was strenghth in numbers ... there was about a dozen of us so really what could impark do? Rich and I were the only two that wouldn't leave ... I can't tell you how much I appreciate Rich for staying and helping me out.... when everyone else left I then began to think I would be in trouble. but Rich stayed and we didn't get in any trouble at all .... we feasted of the BBQ and shared a few beers :beer: .. and have ever since. Rich understood why he was banned from my sites, and being banned from my sites had nothing to do with our friendship.

Rich showed me his colours that day at the tailgater and has many days since. He is someone you can count on. I don't know much out medical issues but I'm hopeing and praying that Rich can snap out of this coma so I can sit by my friends side like he did for me that day at the tailgater. If he can get out of that coma he has enough people who know and love him to get him the rest of the way back to good health.

I'm going to post this incase 3rdDown is lurking .... cuz even tho i banned him from the site, i made sure he could read posts here .. we laughed about that at the tailgaters :wink: Hey 3rd snap out of it, your missing some very good threads, and your friends are missing you. Training camp is comin up and we need you
Awesome post Derek.

Awesome.

Thanks for the clarification. This whole thing is so *poop*... Ritch and I go way back.. maybe '96?..

Ritch, DA is praying for you. Honest.. :wink: That should do it. See you next week.
Reider
Starter

Thanks for sharing the picture and story Derek, both are totally awesome! I'm glad I got to meet you this past summer, I think you're a good guy, and it''s going to take more than a couple of comments in the newspaper, written by a sensationalist beat reporter, to change that.

Ritch is way too awesome of a person to lose his life to a dead beat, who was embarrassed after losing a game of pool.

Thank you to Brian as well for being "the point man" and keeping us updated etc..

J3R,

Get well soon, pal!
MacNews
Team Captain

Just got back yesterday, I can't believe what I am reading. I hope Ritch recovers very soon and that *********** punk gets a long sentence.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

As of right now, I am planning to visit Ritch tomorrow night. If there is anything you want me to say or read to him, please PM me or e-mail me at brian@bclionsden.ca

My plan is to take e-mails I have received, as well as any recent CFL articles to read to him.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
zark
Champion

I went to that pub when my daughter was born. They don't present themselves as being a gay pub. I don't think that loser who sucker punched Mr. Dowrey has too many friends supporting him.
I hope the judge isn't a wordy SOB, and doesn't parole him. I'm getting a little tired of the leniency judges give criminals.
Hang in there Mr. Dowrey. My 12 yr old was in a coma last year after getting nailed by a pick-up truck. It didn't last long though and its like nothing ever happened. So, stay positive. :beauty:
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Hi everyone, sorry for the late posting of this udpate.

Before I get started, I just want to make clear that unless I state so these are just my observations, and not a medical opinions. I realize everyone is looking for positive news but please don't read too much into my observations one way or the other.

I was alone with Ritch tonight for about an hour. There is nothing much new to report as far as his overall condition. He looked like he had a little more colour today, and he was off the respirator and breathing on his own. He continues to be in an unconscious state. The staples have been removed from his incision. There is concern about a blood culture (bug/infection), and they are trying to get that under control. If all goes well Ritch will be moved the neurology ICU in the next day or so. The nurse told me he opened both his eyes today, but it was not classified as gaining consciousness.

During my hour with Ritch I talked football with him. Told him about recent Lions news, about Caseymania on the prairies. I read him many of the comments from people on this board, and e-mails I have received. During this time he did have some facial expressions...opening his mouth, curling his lip, partially opening an eye. The biggest lip curl came when I bellowed Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaana. (No I am not kidding) :thumb: I printed 7 pages of your comments and e-mails and they are hanging on the wall above his bed. I am sure the family will take comfort in your comments and outpouring of love for Ritch.

I didn't get to see any of the family today, so I cannot tell you how they are holding up, although I was told he was visited by his mother, brother and cousins today.

I am not sure of the next time I will go. It will likely be the weekend.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Thanks for the update Brian. As you say we shouldn't read anything much one way or the other into things. It's going to be a long road to recovery for Ritch I suspect and your update tells us he still has all four wheels on that road. For now that's probably as much as we can ask for.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Thanks for the update, Brian. That is awesome what you did for him. I can only imagine the worry and stress his family must be under. His poor mother. Heartbreaking.

Let's keep sending out strong vibes to Ritch for a full recovery. :thup:

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Thanks for being a great ambassador Brian. I hope it had an impact on Ritch.
Rammer
Team Captain

Thanks Brian, nice to hear that Bwaaaana can work wonders, that he is being taken off the respirator sounds promising.
Entertainment value = an all time low
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

UPDATE: I am absolutely thrilled to announce that Ritch came out of his coma this morning! He is still non-responsive, but nurses have said this a great first step. I knew that Bwaaaaaaaanaaaa call would get his heart rate going enough to say enough is enough!

Turd is fightin!!!!