Race in Football

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Bosco
Team Captain

Balraj wrote:Even when it comes to jerseys. As a person who works for a sports retailer and who crests and sells cfl jerseys I've noticed that certain player jerseys (those who are white) are crested and bought more then other players jerseys (black football players). More people tend to buy and wear javy glatt jerseys then otis floyd jerseys, even though both are equally popular and equally good. But enough about this topic. Buck has been chosen as our starting quarterback and we have to all throw our support behind him.

I know this is just an observation on your behalf, but I don't think that this is a general trend by any means. I know that over the last few years I've seen just as many people wear Dave Dickenson jerseys as I've seen Casey Printers jerseys. Just as many Cleremont's as I've seen Simon's.

Taking your generalization a step further, I guess my family is an exception to the black / white rule as the four jerseys my family own are: Marsh (31), Smith (33), Simon (81) and Washington (23).
lion24
Legend

I just want to give my opinion on Blitz. I have posted here for a while now and have read many of Blitz's post, can't say I have read them all top to bottom :wink: , and I appreciate the fact he has a great deal of knowledge. I have never in my time here read anything that would tell me he is a racist and I think he was just trying to offer an opinion. I realize not everyone has to agree with him and I don't completely agree but I sure don't consider him a racist. I think we all need to relax a little and I am one that hopes Blitz will continue posting :thup:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
bclions16
Champion

Lion 24: No one, no one, no one, has accused Blitz of being racist.
Perhaps you haven't read all the posts. Please note that Blitz' original post, where he brings up race, has been deleted. So I guess you don't have the opportunity to read the whole story.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
lion24
Legend

bclions16 wrote:Lion 24: No one, no one, no one, has accused Blitz of being racist.
Perhaps you haven't read all the posts. Please note that Blitz' original post, where he brings up race, has been deleted. So I guess you don't have the opportunity to read the whole story.

Point well taken :beauty: I guess I spend so much time arguing with Eskimo fans here I would just like to see Lions fans be civil with each other, that's all. I have repeatedly said I don't care who is the starter and I think both will end up playing anyway. I voted to start Pierce but it is not like I threw a parade when he was announced the starter. Just win. As far as not reading all the posts, I would say I agree as I looked back on them but I still stand by what kind of person I think Blitz is and that he is an asset to this site.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
eskimo24
prospect

lion24 wrote:
bclions16 wrote:Lion 24: No one, no one, no one, has accused Blitz of being racist.

Point well taken :beauty: I guess I spend so much time arguing with Eskimo fans here I would just like to see Lions fans be civil with each other, that's all. I have repeatedly said I don't care who is the starter and I think both will end up playing anyway. I voted to start Pierce but it is not like I threw a parade when he was announced the starter. Just win. As far as not reading all the posts, I would say I agree as I looked back on them but I still stand by what kind of person I think Blitz is and that he is an asset to this site.
Oh you are such a suck up, get a spine lion24!!!
we don't lose the grey cup, we let you borrow it!!
bclions16
Champion

lion24 wrote:

I'm not sure what type of guy Blitz is, but interesting to find that his first controversial post on race has been deleted from the site... and he is a mod. He himself said "Everyone can read my posts and what I said." Yet, we can't read what has mysteriously been deleted.

Oh well no one seems too concerned with that revisionism, or being accused as a group (Leos fans and Lionbackers) of picking favorites based on skin colour.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

I'll actually wear that, guys! While I was splitting, moving and merging topics (not as easy as I thought it would be), I accidentally deleted Blitz' post. Please don't get on him about that-it was completely and totally my fault. I have apologized to him, and I'll apologize to all of you as well. I'm sorry.
Real women wear orange!!
bclions16
Champion

CatsEyes wrote:
I'll actually wear that, guys! While I was splitting, moving and merging topics (not as easy as I thought it would be), I accidentally deleted Blitz' post. Please don't get on him about that-it was completely and totally my fault. I have apologized to him, and I'll apologize to all of you as well. I'm sorry.
Fair enough. So Blitz, I apologize for thinking you were behind the missing post, my mistake. CatsEyes, no problem, and thanks.
lion24
Legend

CatsEyes wrote:

I am sorry that is unforgivable and I will not accept your apology.............. :wink: :wink:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Obviously a topic about races is always extremely sensitive. Blitz mentioned the issue of being able to identify a white quarterback, and I can easily understand how some would interpret this as racist overtones. So far, all this conversations involve only Blacks and Whites. I'll bring up another perspective by using a third race: Asians.

If it's a fact that there seem to be fewer famous Black quarterbacks, then could it be said that there is far fewer Asians in the CFL or all of professional football for that matter. Therefore, would one be even less able to identify an Asian playing in the CFL? Overall, I don't think so. As an example, I don't think one would have less faith seeing Bobby Singh.

As far as jerseys, that is an interesting topic. Overall, I could not definitively say that more Black vs. White jerseys are more popular. But I can definitively say that there doesn't seem to be any strong affinity to the only ethnic Chinese-Canadian player. We all know that all main Canadian cities have a large Chinese-Canadian population. But I've never seen anybody wear this jersey in Vancouver. Although I don't live in Montreal, I have a feeling that it is not the most popular Alouettes jersey. So that goes to show that may be no correlation and affinity between the fan's race and their player's race.

祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The latest Canuck draft who is East Indian has said he wants to be a good role model in his community just like Bobby Singh has said when he was with BC Lions.

The CFL hasn't much used ethnic marketing and Wally himself it is not something he has considered.

Where they have thought of it is in the English Premier League and look at Manchester United with South Korea's Park Ji-Sung #13 who is a regular in the line up and how patient they have been with their mainland Chinese striker (since '04 and debuted in '07 in the first team) Dong Fangzhou. Man U make no effort to hide the fact that they market in South Korea and China and these guys come from huge soccer markets.

The UK has made a huge effort as have organizations in the USA where they work to find good role models for black youth to counter the over abundance of gangsta rappers as models.

Brian Chui, a Vancouver guy would be a huge guy to have here and market to the Chinese community but he is not here and the Lions aren't interested in this type of marketing (according to WB).
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:Obviously a topic about races is always extremely sensitive. Blitz mentioned the issue of being able to identify a white quarterback, and I can easily understand how some would interpret this as racist overtones. So far, all this conversations involve only Blacks and Whites. I'll bring up another perspective by using a third race: Asians.

If it's a fact that there seem to be fewer famous Black quarterbacks, then could it be said that there is far fewer Asians in the CFL or all of professional football for that matter. Therefore, would one be even less able to identify an Asian playing in the CFL? Overall, I don't think so. As an example, I don't think one would have less faith seeing Bobby Singh.

As far as jerseys, that is an interesting topic. Overall, I could not definitively say that more Black vs. White jerseys are more popular. But I can definitively say that there doesn't seem to be any strong affinity to the only ethnic Chinese-Canadian player. We all know that all main Canadian cities have a large Chinese-Canadian population. But I've never seen anybody wear this jersey in Vancouver. Although I don't live in Montreal, I have a feeling that it is not the most popular Alouettes jersey. So that goes to show that may be no correlation and affinity between the fan's race and their player's race.

My focus was on the quarterback position in football with regard to fan identification. I really haven't seen any evidence of any concerns at any other position. My point is based upon proportion. At every other football position, based upon black athletes playing the game, you get a high representation. However, based upon the number of black quarterbacks playing the game in high school and college, the number of blacks playing the quarterback position at the pro level almost drops off the map. The same can't be said about Asians...there are very few quarterbacks of Asian descent playing the quarterback position at the college level so it's not surprising to see them not represented at the pro level at the same position.

Canada is increasingly becoming a multi-ethnic and multicultural society. I believe we'll see more and more players of different ethnic backgrounds playing football in Canada. The same goes for the United States, where, by 2020 there will be more students who are black or come from Latino backgrounds in school than white studetns. Football will increasingly see more and more players from a variety of ethnic backgrounds playing the game in the future.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
bclions16
Champion

Blitz from another thread:
3) BUCK GETTING HURT EARLY IN THE SEASON

My major reason for wanting to start the season with Jarious was to ease Buck in there so he could knock some rust off, give his shoulder more time to strengthen, and reduce his reps until Champion got more adjusted to the CFL game. Jarious didn't look so great out there but both our quarterbacks had their struggles. My hope is that Buck is good enough to go next week because the last thing I wanted to see early was Champion being our backup quarterback by Game 2.
Well, thats quite reasonable and likely correct. Blitz utilizes detailed analysis and experience to make such a call - but the rest of Leos fans don't use their minds, and just rely on ignorance to make QB choices. As apparently the only reason everyone else wanted Buck, is because he is white.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

:popcorn:
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

bclions16 wrote:Blitz from another thread:
3) BUCK GETTING HURT EARLY IN THE SEASON

My major reason for wanting to start the season with Jarious was to ease Buck in there so he could knock some rust off, give his shoulder more time to strengthen, and reduce his reps until Champion got more adjusted to the CFL game. Jarious didn't look so great out there but both our quarterbacks had their struggles. My hope is that Buck is good enough to go next week because the last thing I wanted to see early was Champion being our backup quarterback by Game 2.
Well, thats quite reasonable and likely correct. Blitz utilizes detailed analysis and experience to make such a call - but the rest of Leos fans don't use their minds, and just rely on ignorance to make QB choices. As apparently the only reason everyone else wanted Buck, is because he is white.
You are so over the top on this take of yours that this is bordering on the bizarre. Again, that is not what blitz said in his post. You really need to stop stretching this beyond what was said unless your objective is to drive him off this board.

Bulls welcome Rose, New York fans boo Italy's Gallinari

NEW YORK (AFP) — The Chicago Bulls welcomed the return of hometown hero Derrick Rose but New York fans showered Italian Danilo Gallinari with boos at the 2008 National Basketball Association entry draft....

The first non-American player picked got a boorish welcome from the Garden crowd. The New York Knicks used their sixth pick to select Gallinari of Armani Jeans Milano.

The 19-year-old Italian was jeered when his name was called and Knicks fans continued to boo as American broadcaster ESPN interviewed Gallinari while he was on the main stage.

"I'd be more worried if they're booing him next year," Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni said. "But I don't think that'll happen."

An obviously upset Gallinari tried to placate the angry mob during his interview by saying, "I will help the team to win. New York is best city in the world."