Who remembers...

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Ballistic Bob
Legend

Anyone remember what the 6 month pass to Expo 86 was? The 3 day pass was 99.00 IIRC. I need to know the 6 month cost. Thnx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I believe I paid eighty nine dollars for six months.
#1 Lions Fan in SK
Starter

I haven't lived in Vancouver since I was 8 but .....

1. Shaky's pizza (every birthday had to go there)
2. Skana (I thought she was MY whale)
3. As several others have posted, the zoo at Stanley Park. Can't believe it's gone!
4. Seven Seas Restaurant. What happened to it? The last time I was there was Grey Cup '99. I LOVED it!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

we serve fun at shakeys, also pizza :rockin:

apparently, they must have served a lot more free fun than pizza
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:Anyone remember what the 6 month pass to Expo 86 was? The 3 day pass was 99.00 IIRC. I need to know the 6 month cost. Thnx BB
Google is your friend.......

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 38,2133623
Lloyd
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote:Anyone remember what the 6 month pass to Expo 86 was? The 3 day pass was 99.00 IIRC. I need to know the 6 month cost. Thnx BB
Google is your friend.......

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 38,2133623
That article was an eye-opener of sorts on how times have changed in the last 25 years. Everything back then was mail and telephone to order from your home, and travel-size toiletries were hard to come by. And then a few pages over there's an ad about the drudgery of standing in a bank lineup. Who does that anymore?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

#1 Lions Fan in SK wrote:I haven't lived in Vancouver since I was 8 but .....

1. Shaky's pizza (every birthday had to go there)
2. Skana (I thought she was MY whale)
3. As several others have posted, the zoo at Stanley Park. Can't believe it's gone!
4. Seven Seas Restaurant. What happened to it? The last time I was there was Grey Cup '99. I LOVED it!
Shaky's pizza was awesome! I used to live in Coq. and we use to go to the Shaky's on Clarke Rd.
Good old fashioned pizza parlour,
I remember round colored glass also.

Last Sat. I picked up an old souvenir of Stanley Park photos,includes a picture of Skana, the penguins, the polar bears, among others.
Bighill is Badass
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Ahh yes, the Seven Seas floating restaurant at the foot of Lonsdale.

I don't know all the details but there were a couple of things that got bandied about.

The location - Rumour was that City of North Van was wanting to redevelop the area and the Floating restaurant did not fit into those plans, it was rather run down at that point.

Safety - the vessel was declared unsafe - I think the owner was alleging that it was a trumped up assertion having something to do with the aforementioned redevelopment. At any rate, it sat for awhile while the owner fought to get it reopened, restructured or whatever but I guess he eventually lost because it never did reopen it's doors and eventually the boad disappeared although I know not where.

Edit. Apparently it was scrapped after some discussion around preserving it as heritage museum.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37908073@N ... 469/page2/

As for Shakey's do remember it vaguely but I also don't remember the food being that wonderful, good place for kids though.

Skana - everbody's whale I think. First one I remember and very sad when she died. Unfortunately, it was the first of many in a long sad tale until they finally stopped keeping Orca's.

Zoo - I guess it was neat to see the different animals when I was a boy but the truth is I am glad it is gone. The Polar bear enclosure is still there as a sort of a monument but the facilities were pretty primitive and these days such a facility wouldn't get past the planning stage. I must admit as well, my moral beliefs about such incarcerations have changed radically. Not sure that I believe in Zoo's at all. Maybe programs to help preserve and rehabilitate but not for our entertainment. Feel the same for the Beluga's at the Aquarium I'm afraid.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

Had no idea that ship use to be a ferry and that it crossed the inlet, thanks for the info.
Bighill is Badass
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

Earliest I remember about Clarke Road in Coquitlam was the old A&W where the McDonald's has been for the last almost 20 years. I remember it had a fireplace and it was a bit dark inside. You don't see that anymore. There was also a 7-11 at the corner where the Pizza Factory used to be. I was kindergarten age at the time, so the memories of the A&W and especially the 7-11 are pretty vague. My brother says he remembers there being an IGA in the 80's where the Value Village at Burquitlam Plaza is. I miss Tino's Pizza on the side of the plaza that was torn down (it was down from the Royal Bank and there was also a flower shop, a drycleaners and another restaurant in that same strip). I remember their pizza was among the better I've ever had.
obs
Champion

Here are the Super Valu NHL pictures (they're neither stamps, nor stickers) that were distributed back in 1974-75(?), which you guys were talking about a couple of years ago on this thread :). I'm not sure exactly what year they were from, but Henri Richard is included, and I think it was the year Washington and Kansas City joined, since those photos are portrait photos (as opposed to game/action shots).

Each pack contained eight players and a coupon for a food product.

And here are a couple of Royal Bank's Player of the Week. I think the Jim Young one is from 1975, with the Bill Baker shot obviously from 1976.

WestCoast
prospect

Real cloth stiched crests with your Quarterback club season tickets.
The roller coaster being hit by lightning during a game.
The mess the RCMP Musical ride made of the field.
Elain Tanner doing summersalts ahead of Del Richards and the band circling the track pre game.
The patch of grass between the bleachers and the consetion stand where twenty drink cup football games would be going on at the same time,(qb club)
WestCoast
prospect

Sitting on the hill in Little Mountain watching the Mounties for free and one of the players would come by with a cigar box nailed on a long stick and collect change. boy, minor league pay must have been low then.
15 cent double featue matinee at the Hollywood, plus a cartoon or two.
Being 11 years old and going downtown by yourself and no one caring about it. I watched the 64 Grey Cup in the Woodwards furniture floor. There tv's where better than ours.
Moby Dick AKA Moby Doll
Any (no name) N. bailey resturant that still had great burgers, what a bun!
Garbage trucks that would back up real fast then slam on there breaks so the cab came way up in the air to shuffle the garbage to the back.
The coal man
The smoke rising through the lights at Empire Stadium
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

ThreeTimesOneMinusOne wrote:Earliest I remember about Clarke Road in Coquitlam was the old A&W where the McDonald's has been for the last almost 20 years. I remember it had a fireplace and it was a bit dark inside. You don't see that anymore. There was also a 7-11 at the corner where the Pizza Factory used to be. I was kindergarten age at the time, so the memories of the A&W and especially the 7-11 are pretty vague. My brother says he remembers there being an IGA in the 80's where the Value Village at Burquitlam Plaza is. I miss Tino's Pizza on the side of the plaza that was torn down (it was down from the Royal Bank and there was also a flower shop, a drycleaners and another restaurant in that same strip). I remember their pizza was among the better I've ever had.

I remember that A+W and the fireplace, but what really caught my attention was Tino's pizza, you are right, that was some of the best pizza I've ever had. I had totally forgotten about that place till you mentioned it.
We use to live on Foster so went to Burquitlam plaza quite a bit.
Bighill is Badass
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In light of the recent Royal engagement, who remembers the Royal wedding way back on July 29, 1981.

While it seemed to be a fairytale marriage, the couple would separated in 11 years and divorced in 15 years.

A similar thing with other Royal marriages like Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson, marrying in 1986 only to separate in 6 years and divorced in 10 years.

With Kate Middleton soon to be a Princess, one would wonder how she will compare with Princess Diana. And with all the separations and divorce with all kinds of celebrities including the Royal family, one would wonder if this marriage would last as well. :hypno:

祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。