i got an off block first block this semester lol
good to see all of my friends again
grade twelve
HOLY CRAP! lol
2012 Season Ticket Holder
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Canuck_4_Life wrote:The thing I remember about the first week back in school as the attempting to jockey with your schedule to get more classes with people you like, or getting away from specific teachers.
Yeah, some counselors were very generous in granting course and section changes, others were not and you had to ask your parents to appeal to the school if you still wanted a change, which still may or may not have been granted. To me, getting the right teacher could easily mean the difference between getting a 'C' or an 'A' in a course.
Sounds like you guys had it easier than when I went through it. All I remember in grade school was, "This is your schedule", end of story. But then again, as I recall there was usually only one teacher who taught several sections of each course, so it's not like there was much advantage in having Mr. Hand in slot 4 or slot 7, and the classes were pretty much all filled to capacity to begin with so switches would have been tough to arrange anyway.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
pinkfreud

sj-roc wrote:Sounds like you guys had it easier than when I went through it. All I remember in grade school was, "This is your schedule", end of story.
Wouldn't it have gone more like, "Bejayus, dat der's yer schedule and der'ain't gonna be an udder GD word aboud'it."

:wink:
Soundy
Hall of Famer

pinkfreud wrote: Wouldn't it have gone more like, "Bejayus, dat der's yer schedule and der'ain't gonna be an udder GD word aboud'it."

:wink:
WTF does that say??? I don't speak Newfie...
Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:But then again, as I recall there was usually only one teacher who taught several sections of each course, so it's not like there was much advantage in having Mr. Hand in slot 4 or slot 7, and the classes were pretty much all filled to capacity to begin with so switches would have been tough to arrange anyway.
That was before the days of schools being so populated that multiple teachers for each course was necessary. Usually, only non-academic elective courses may have only one teacher teaching all sections of that class.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
sj-roc wrote:But then again, as I recall there was usually only one teacher who taught several sections of each course, so it's not like there was much advantage in having Mr. Hand in slot 4 or slot 7, and the classes were pretty much all filled to capacity to begin with so switches would have been tough to arrange anyway.
That was before the days of schools being so populated that multiple teachers for each course was necessary. Usually, only non-academic elective courses may have only one teacher teaching all sections of that class.
They have non-academic courses now? For credit, you mean? Seems oxymoronic. I'm afraid to ask what's in these courses.

I wonder what the avg population of a high school is nowadays anyway. In my day, my high school had about 900 in grades 9-12, with 30-35 in most classes. That was widely viewed at the time as overcrowded.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:They have non-academic courses now? For credit, you mean? Seems oxymoronic. I'm afraid to ask what's in these courses.
Well, starting in grade 9, a student usually has at least two non-academic electives to choose from. Popular courses include: woodworking, metalworking, electronics, mechanical drafting, cooking, sewing, marketing, physical education (starting in grade 11), and automotives.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
sj-roc wrote:They have non-academic courses now? For credit, you mean? Seems oxymoronic. I'm afraid to ask what's in these courses.
Well, starting in grade 9, a student usually has at least two non-academic electives to choose from. Popular courses include: woodworking, metalworking, electronics, mechanical drafting, cooking, sewing, marketing, physical education (starting in grade 11), and automotives.
Ah, okay, trade school-type stuff, I forgot about that. None of that stuff was compulsory in my time, and we had to go to a separate trade school a couple miles away for it, to boot.

I thought you were referring to some sort of new-age, feel-good, politically correct curriculum.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

I believe any of the musical department courses were considered "non-academics"
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Canuck_4_Life wrote:I believe any of the musical department courses were considered "non-academics"
Yeah, I forgot to list the performing arts classes such as orchestra, band, and drama. My school offered fine arts classes as electives too.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Canuck_4_Life wrote:I believe any of the musical department courses were considered "non-academics"
Oh, gawd, music class. How I dreaded in elementary school, the countless renditions of Annie's Song on the one class set of recorders the school owned and whose mouthpieces we had to disinfect with Javex at the end of every class.

John Denver would have died an even much richer man had he been able to collect royalties from us!
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Wow. First week of high school was pretty good. All my classes suck this semester, but I'm with all my friends, and next semester I have the easiest classes in the world. Kind of sucks the summer's over though...but soon enough it'll be Grey Cup time so I can see another championship handed to the Leos! :wink:
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Does your high school have a football team, LF4L? If it does, then will you join the team - if not this year then in future years?
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Robbie wrote:Does your high school have a football team, LF4L? If it does, then will you join the team - if not this year then in future years?
Nope....rumours are they might get one though.
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

yeah mine keeps on putting up some uprights and then taking them down
im just like wtf is the point just keep em up permenatley(sp) or keep em down forever
2012 Season Ticket Holder