The Day after Labour Day - 2014

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Back when I was in elementary and secondary school, this Labour Day weekend was often bittersweet. I did enjoy one last long weekend, usually with my family. But I wasn't too thrilled on knowing that the day after Labour Day was back to school and it would take me a while to get my mindset focused on academics again.

Fortunately, the first week usually involved some logistics so I saw it as sort of a transition period. From my recollections, the first week involved these things:

1. Taking home an emergency contact and consent form for your parents to fill out and sign.

2. Receiving a few school supplies from your teacher (pens, pencils, erasers, rulers, etc.)

3. Being handed a bunch of notebooks and textbooks.

But the first day could also bring about some anxieties as a few of your unknowns were answered, but sometimes not to the best of your desires:

1. How many of your classmates from last year returned and how many new classmates you had and how you might get along with them.

2. If your elementary school had multiple divisions of the same grade, you found out which teacher you would be reporting to, whether your best friends were in that same class, and whether that class was exclusive to other students in your grade or if it was a split-grade class.

3. In high school, your timetable would be handed out and you would find out which teachers you were assigned to and whether you would liked them. You would also find out if all the elective courses you wanted were granted to you.

Anyone else want to share your thoughts and recollections on back-to-school day?
Last edited by Robbie on Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I always look forward to starting school. Finding out who your classmates and teachers are going to be. Getting a list of school supplies from your teachers. My parents especially my mother considered Labour Day as an early Christmas. :lol: My mother always said after PNE it's time to turn on the furnace as the weather starts getting colder and wetter.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

This may sound stupid but I look forward to going back to school, knowing against my dad's wish, if I get good grades I can go to the Lions next year, and since I'm going into Grade 7,we get to play football at recess and lunch on the football field, with no older people to bug us....and now we can play tackle because we're more mature, and they trust us! :wink: :lol: :rockin:
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
CB123
Legend

3. In high school, your timetable would be handed out and you would find out which teachers you were assigned to and whether you would liked them. You would also find out if all the elective courses you wanted were granted to you.
We get our Timetable sent in mid august now, so you find out a long time before school actually starts.
and now we can play tackle because we're more mature, and they trust us!
ahahahhaha yeah my friends and I were playing tackle football one day in grade 7, and then this other kid wanted to play with us, and when I tackled him I accidentally broke his collarbone, sadly that was the end of tackle football for us (well at least during school)
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I was never into school, but the one thing I looked forward to in high school was finding out when I could sign up for sports. Only thing that mattered. That and checking out the girls.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:I was never into school, but the one thing I looked forward to in high school was finding out when I could sign up for sports.
Just wondering, KIA, what sports did you play in high school? And did you have to try out and compete to make the team? That usually happens if the number of interested students exceed the number of spaces on a team. That often happens for boys teams, but rarely for girls teams. I guess it also depends whether your school was really sports-minded too.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

5 different high schools covering vancouver, burnaby and manitoba. Played on school teams for soccer, rugby, baseball, and even a couple of tackle football games in manitoba. I think making the teams was never an issue although sometimes one could end up mostly being a spare, as I did with soccer for some reason. Also played a lot of intramural sports, football, soccer, baseball, floor hockey, and volleyball. What was a real bummer was that my first high school was Gladstone in Vancouver and I remember myself and my friend Rodney were so looking forward to going out for football, only to find out that they didnt have a team. Still pisses me off.

Coaches kept trying to get me out for track and field, but no way was I getting up extra early just to run and stuff, although I woulda gladly done it if it got me out of the class room. If only I went to american high school, :yes: :wink:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

So for those of you who have kids, how are they making it through the first day of school?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:So for those of you who have kids, how are they making it through the first day of school?
well, mine are not home yet and they dont have cell phones so they cant check in with me every hr :wink:

no frantic phone calls from the principals yet :yes:
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

haha i only had to go for an hour today, tomorrow's the first Full Day and I don't find out my class until thursday or friday :bang: oh well, football will have to wait another day :rockin:
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
nelson95
Legend

I hated Labor Day. Sulking around home, dumb Jerry Lewis telethon on TV.

Worked it 95% of time since adulthood so no big deal. 4 years til little man starts school
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

dumb Jerry Lewis telethon
please dont say that, he has done a lot of good for a lot of people\kids. A lot of people put their heart into that event and the resuting yr round efforts. Jerry is a nice, but not purrfect guy, who certainly never had to raise a finger to help anyone in any way. He also provided lots of entertainment and laughs to many of us growing up. That telethon is a special event lead by a special man and I think it is a shame that no vancouver station carries it any more. People just dont care as much as they used to, I guess
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Instead of creating a new thread about gender equality like Pinkfreud suggested, I'll use this thread since it involves another question that I would like to ask the ladies during their schooling years.

Pinkfreud, Charlene, and other Lionbacker ladies: Were you participate in any sports teams during your elementary and high school years? If you were, what sports teams were you on?
Charlene

I was on the track team and soccer team in elementary school. Then i went to high school and joined nothing, even though i always wanted to. I'm not really sure why.

In junior high, there was a girl on the guy's football team. No one ever made fun of her, she was cool 8) and pretty good!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

track team? In elementary school?? Thats a new one to me.